Fashion Advice, Please?

Reese Wicken

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 461 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm trying to dress my alt account (which will become my main due to seperate issue entirely) but I want to stray away from what my usual style has been for the last.. Eight or so years since the creation of this account.

There are a LOT of fashion geared SL blogs and twitter accounts out there to the point where I am overwhelmed by it all, I'm having trouble finding bloggers who do 20s and lolita styles.

Can I get a few suggestions for blogs or just stores that are more aimed at those styles?  

I'll still be looking on my own, but I'd like a little help.

Edit: 20s.  Historical era, Flappers and such.

Edited by Eseme Nova

4 minutes ago, Eseme Nova said:

Yes! Ha sorry I didn't mention that when I had my first post up.  But, yes.

I have a reasonably extensive collection of 20s stuff, so I'll look at where I got it from when I'm next in-world. Crazy Pastry is one of the stores that comes to mind.

The way I search on Marketplace is this - put the style or what you are looking for first.  In this case FLAPPER.  So put in MP search the word FLAPPER and then click APPAREL and then click WOMEN'S and you should probably land on quite a bit.  There used to be a lot of Flapper styles for the Classic avatar...so you may want to start with FLAPPER and body type _____________ (fill in the blank body type here).  

You can do the same kind of search with the keyword Lolita too.   I find it best to put in the body type especially if it's a niche styling.  

Belle Epoque have a 50% sale going on until the 15th; they have a couple of flapper dresses/hats/turbans and the 'Evangeline' dress lends itself to lolification. The Row House does 20's hats which sadly are beyond my flapper alt's budget. Most of her stuff is from MP.

I don't know when the next Baroqued Gothical event is but that's always good for Lolita stuff. Some of the older Japanese brands like Lo*Momo, G-Field and Ambrosia are still around, and I would check out Sweet Thing, Altair and Casse Lustre (who also have a sale on at the moment) . Oh, and Bowtique on MP is really affordable.

8 hours ago, Eddy Vortex said:

I think flapper dresses -- or pseudo-flapper dresses -- abound.

What is hard to find is everyday historical clothing. And also just anything that is historically accurate. I don't RP, but I do like taking period pics, and it's boring always being a flapper, or an Edwardian woman dressed for a promenade in Hyde Park.

And don't even get me started on "sexy Victorian maid" outfits.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Eddy Vortex said:

Yes, this is the one my flapper alt wears 60% of the time (she got the Maitreya-only for L$75).

10 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I think flapper dresses -- or pseudo-flapper dresses -- abound.

What is hard to find is everyday historical clothing. And also just anything that is historically accurate. I don't RP, but I do like taking period pics, and it's boring always being a flapper, or an Edwardian woman dressed for a promenade in Hyde Park.

And don't even get me started on "sexy Victorian maid" outfits.

Tell me about it.  I'm having a hard enough time finding Victorian era bathing suits.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Eddy Vortex said:

Tell me about it.  I'm having a hard enough time finding Victorian era bathing suits.

Yeah. Everyone's freaking Lord or Lady of the Manor, apparently. And all they do, at least on the evidence of the available attire, is attend sumptuous dinner parties. God knows who is looking after the horses.

Unless of course it's the small army of outrageously under-dressed "naughty housemaids" that seem to have comprised the entirety of domestic help.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/15/2020 at 11:20 PM, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Yeah. Everyone's freaking Lord or Lady of the Manor, apparently. And all they do, at least on the evidence of the available attire, is attend sumptuous dinner parties. God knows who is looking after the horses.

Unless of course it's the small army of outrageously under-dressed "naughty housemaids" that seem to have comprised the entirety of domestic help.

The horses probably wandered off the farm while the aristocrats are too busy one upping the other with fancy designer labels.

Those skimpy french maid uniforms can't be up to OSHA standards.

• Haha 2

On 11/15/2020 at 11:20 PM, Scylla Rhiadra said:

So.. What I'm hearing is I need to make my alt into a disheveled looking servant girl..

(Thanks for the idea actually.  I've been wanting a reason to start rping again)

• Haha 2

• 2 years later...

Personally, I don't think that you can go past the clothes that were designed and produced by Sonatta Morales.  She is, regrettably, no longer with us, but here shop is still there in the Time Portal, and there is a department store in the 1920s Berlin sim that also sells her clothing.  At last count, I think I had 36 of her outfits.  Mostly 1920s, but some 40's and 50's clothing too.

If you're going to wear the clothes for dancing, try a demo first, as some of the oldest ones don't work too well with dance moves.

• Like 1

Candy Kitten, Lunar, and Rebel Pill also have some Lolita-esque outfits, though there is a strong Kawaii look with most of their stuff. Cheezu maybe? Also, Bauhaus has a few that fit the Lolita theme. For 1920s no idea except as mentioned above. I tend to go with retro/vintage classy from Valentina E and the ilk, but those are 60s cuts.

Edited by Katherine Heartsong

On 11/15/2020 at 12:41 PM, animats said:

Here's  a detailed look at the wardrobe from Thoroughly Modern Millie. This is a 1960s interpretation of 1920s styles.

A Thoroughly Modern Wardrobe

My favorite part of this movie was I believe in one of the remakes, where her beads simply would not hang straight, apparently because her bust was not perfectly symmetrical like everyone else's.  

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 461 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.