A Proposal for Sharing Alpha Masks and Maitreya Autohiders

Jennifer Boyle

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1249 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Before I had a mesh body, I made a lot of alpha masks because I could make them hide exactly what needed to be hidden, and the ones that came with mesh clothing often didn't do that. After I got a Maitreya Lara mesh body, I made a lot of autohiders because it is a lot more convenient to adjust the alpha cuts once and wear the autohider ever after when a garment is worn. Now that we have BOM, I have gone back to making alpha masks because they can mask exactly what is needed, and are not limited to predesignated areas.

For a long time, I've thought that we needed to share these things. It just makes no sense for many people to independently make something when we could share.

I propose that we have a freebie autohider and alpha mask store. I visualize a building with rows of shelves. Each donor could rez a box containing her contribution and set it for sale for L$0.

Obviously, there are more details that need to be addressed, but I wanted to see if there was any interest before taking the trouble to address them.

If there is sufficient interest, I will make the necessary land, a building, and simple fixtures available for it.

• Like 9

It sounds like a good idea... but...

I have some alpha layer sets now. For the basics those are fine. But, for a lot of the clothes where I need an alpha I have to make one. Looking for something that works from the sets I have is tedious and often a waste of time. I would much rather the designers made an alpha to go with their clothes. Otherwise, I'll probably make my own.

I suspect that those items that come without an alpha layer and need one... have not been well tested by the designer. So... I send them a note and often an image showing the problem. I am guessing in about half the cases the designer changes the item and sends a new version. I don't recall any sending me an alpha layer.

• Like 1

There are far worse things in second life than lack of alphas.  The worst (clothing) issue is <expletive deleted> built-in non-mod WRONG autohide scripts.  At least let me delete it moron.

You remember the test you had to take to get mesh upload rights?  Well we need it back, and it needs a section on understanding of mod/no-mod.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

How do you make autohiders for Maitreya?

I use their Save Stick but find it convoluted and painful to make so may different variations and ensure they are added to each specific outfit.

Plus, they are only fired off when you load an outfit then I usually detach the stick, meaning if I go and add, say, a bracelet to the outfit then save, the stick gets deleted because I have detached it and have to go and add it all over again.

6 hours ago, Katherine Heartsong said:

How do you make autohiders for Maitreya?

There is a script that Maitreya gives away free. You rez a prim, put the script in the prim, adjust the alpha cuts they way you want them, click on the prim, click on a button in the menu that pops up, click on another button, and you're done. Then, any time you attach that prim, the same pattern of alpha cuts will be reproduced, and when you detach it, those parts will be unhidden. If the clothing item is modifiable, you can just put the script in it, and not wear the have the extra prim. Some like to make the prims invisible. I like to make them brightly-colored so they are easy to work with and attach them to a HUD attachment point and position them offscreen.

• Thanks 1

On 11/13/2020 at 9:37 PM, Jennifer Boyle said:

There is a script that Maitreya gives away free. You rez a prim, put the script in the prim, adjust the alpha cuts they way you want them, click on the prim, click on a button in the menu that pops up, click on another button, and you're done. Then, any time you attach that prim, the same pattern of alpha cuts will be reproduced, and when you detach it, those parts will be unhidden. If the clothing item is modifiable, you can just put the script in it, and not wear the have the extra prim. Some like to make the prims invisible. I like to make them brightly-colored so they are easy to work with and attach them to a HUD attachment point and position them offscreen.

If you attach the autohide prim object to the same attachment point as the clothing it relates to, then move it so that it inside the body (and thus invisible unless you go looking), it will be detached with the clothing item when using RLV detach.  There are lots of ways to do this right, but the moron designers keep choosing the ways to do it wrong.  Alpha cuts are NOT your IPR, so stop <expletive deleted> making them no-mod.

• Like 1

I'm not a "newbie" (*lol*), and no Maitreya body user,

but an alpha mask exchange became these days with BoM for many reasons important again,

for example with the SLink redux bodies (BoM)

and the FREE Ruth and Roth bodies - just to name two additional...

("Ruth" bento mesh body "RuthTooRC3 BoM Mesh Female Body"

available at  Heavy Industries in  http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Blumfield/108/176/28

actual version " ruthtoo rc3 ", is full BoM, includes bento hands and all and works with maitreya clothing).

ALPHA layer packs:

¹ Little Black Dress at Bay City ( http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Bay City - Barnstable/13/105/27

offers a large package of clothing alpha layers "*LBD* BoM System Alpha Layers - Full Perm"

for free in their gift section in store.

² SLink offers a large free-to-everyone  package of clothing alpha layers "Slink Extra Alphas - Click me"  close to their redelivery terminal near store entrance at SLink sim.

p.s.

Jennifer Boyle,

i just got your alpha layers at  http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Danim/45/8/61

TYVM 🤩

Edited by Cos Hirano
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Cos Hirano said:

( There's your box with alphas in the shelf, but not set to buy for 0 and it includes no item/folder giver script, alternatively 😕 )

It is fixed. You can either take a copy of the box or buy a copy for L$0.

Thanks for letting me know about the problem.

Edited by Jennifer Boyle
  • Thanks 1

On 11/18/2020 at 2:29 PM, Eddy Vortex said:

I am slowly making my own collection of feet alphas to hide toes, heels, and other small parts to force Gianni rigged shoes to fit Geralt. It'll take me a while to complete.

Perhaps I should expand the scope of this project to include all avatars?

What would be the best way to inform people about what body the stuff in a box was made for? Hovertext? I think hovertext would be overlapped and hard to read. Texture on the box? This seems like a better idea.

Thoughts?

5 hours ago, Jennifer Boyle said:

What would be the best way to inform people about what body the stuff in a box was made for? Hovertext? I think hovertext would be overlapped and hard to read. Texture on the box? This seems like a better idea.

Thoughts?

Perhaps divide off sections on the shelving with a banner above the section with the name of the body. That would be less work in labeling for those who want to add to the collection.

15 hours ago, Jennifer Boyle said:

Thoughts?

The alphas should work for any mesh body with BoM enabled.  They'll even work for system avatars for fitting non-rigged stuff and perhaps help in making do with brand specific clothing.

I'm planning to do a contact sheet for contents and slap that on the box, but that's just me.

Edited by Eddy Vortex
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Eddy Vortex said:

The alphas should work for any mesh body with BoM enabled.  They'll even work for system avatars for fitting non-rigged stuff and perhaps help in making do with brand specific clothing.

I'm planning to do a contact sheet for contents and slap that on the box, but that's just me.

I know that alpha masks work with system avatars and all BOM mesh bodies. When I said "all avatars," I was thinking of autohiders; I presume, but don't know, that other brands have autohiders like Maitreya does.

The contact sheet is a great idea.

14 hours ago, Blush Bravin said:

Perhaps divide off sections on the shelving with a banner above the section with the name of the body. That would be less work in labeling for those who want to add to the collection.

That idea has merit. A problem would be that alpha maskjs work with anything, so if there were alpha masks in the box with autohiders, everyone could probably use them.

Maybe have labeled sections for boxes that contain only body-specific content and one section for all boxes with any alpha masks? It's not that burdensome to delete what we don't want.

16 minutes ago, Jennifer Boyle said:

I know that alpha masks work with system avatars and all BOM mesh bodies. When I said "all avatars," I was thinking of autohiders; I presume, but don't know, that other brands have autohiders like Maitreya does.

The contact sheet is a great idea.

Oh, I see what you mean now. I know Signature have autohides.  I used to put scripts into an internal organ or a piece of jewelry and wear them along with the clothes.  I haven't bothered with them since BoM went live.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1249 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.