Jump to content

What is wrong with group chat?


You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 64 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Recommended Posts

So I long on at 5;30 PM ET, and I can't read group chat. I can post messages, and everybody in the group can read it, but I can't. I can read a personal IM. That is no problem. And it is not just me. Somebody I know had that happen to them two weeks ago. She couldn't read group chat for about a week. I did file a ticket. But I would hate to go for a week without reading group chat.

So what is going on? This keeps happening over, and over. Is anybody else on here having the same problem? I don't mean a few days ago, or last week. But right now.

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Frankie Antonioni said:

So I long on at 5;30 PM ET, and I can't read group chat. I can post messages, and everybody in the group can read it, but I can't. I can read a personal IM. That is no problem. And it is not just me. Somebody I know had that happen to them two weeks ago. She couldn't read group chat for about a week. I did file a ticket. But I would hate to go for a week without reading group chat.

So what is going on? This keeps happening over, and over. Is anybody else on here having the same problem? I don't mean a few days ago, or last week. But right now.

Grid Status can be your friend:  https://status.secondlifegrid.net/   --- It is an ongoing issue and has been for quite a while

 

image.png.c544c42bba7f5dc71d4928bdf4786eb3.png

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Frankie Antonioni said:

I got on this morning, and it is still the same. I still can't read group chat. Anybody else having this problem? I'm hoping that somebody at LL will reply. I did read the grid status. LL posted that last week. You would think they would have that fixed by now.

Monitoring - We have finished deploying updates to the chat service that are intended to correct some of the issues with forwarding group chat messages. We believe that group chat messages should be faster and more reliable. Early indications are positive, but it will take some time for us to be confident that we can close this issue.
Nov 3, 11:34 PST

They didn't fix it overnight.

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I have exactly this issue. I can send notices, and even messages, but i cannot see any incoming group messages. Its a pain, because i am one of the monitors of the group. I hate to say this but it needs to be fixed (don't mean to be that guy). But it is impacting how I can interact. Who can we talk to ?

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, BillJakes said:

I have exactly this issue. I can send notices, and even messages, but i cannot see any incoming group messages. Its a pain, because i am one of the monitors of the group. I hate to say this but it needs to be fixed (don't mean to be that guy). But it is impacting how I can interact. Who can we talk to ?

Not us..file a ticket.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, BillJakes said:

I have exactly this issue. I can send notices, and even messages, but i cannot see any incoming group messages. Its a pain, because i am one of the monitors of the group. I hate to say this but it needs to be fixed (don't mean to be that guy). But it is impacting how I can interact. Who can we talk to ?

Hey BillJakes, if you are premium, you can live chat with a Linden. I talked to Rocko Linden this morning. He said that they are working on it. I'm still having the problem. Last night, I unplugged the modem for a couple of minutes. That still didn't work.

The hours that you can chat with a Linden is from 9 AM ET, to 5 PM ET. Yesterday I did file a ticket. This morning it said it was still being processed.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Frankie Antonioni said:

Hey BillJakes, if you are premium, you can live chat with a Linden. I talked to Rocko Linden this morning. He said that they are working on it. I'm still having the problem. Last night, I unplugged the modem for a couple of minutes. That still didn't work.

The hours that you can chat with a Linden is from 9 AM ET, to 5 PM ET. Yesterday I did file a ticket. This morning it said it was still being processed.

Thank you as well.. Sounds like a lot  are having this problem.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BillJakes said:

I have exactly this issue. I can send notices, and even messages, but i cannot see any incoming group messages. Its a pain, because i am one of the monitors of the group. I hate to say this but it needs to be fixed (don't mean to be that guy). But it is impacting how I can interact. Who can we talk to ?

There are lots of folks in the same boat.  All you can do is let LL know how this is impacting you.  The more people that do so, the higher it will go on their priority list to deal with.

Know that there isn't going to be anything that they can do "just for you".  It is an issue with the back-end code and/or servers.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

There are lots of folks in the same boat.  All you can do is let LL know how this is impacting you.  The more people that do so, the higher it will go on their priority list to deal with.

Know that there isn't going to be anything that they can do "just for you".  It is an issue with the back-end code and/or servers.

Thank you for the response. I let them know, Hopefully as more people do  they will look at the issue.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Matilda Melune said:

Makes me wonder if a lot if these issues, group chat, late stipend, and teleport issues are due to the server uplift to the cloud? Bugs they need to iron out as they move more regions over. 🧐

Yes, I'm sure a lot of it is.  I posted at the beginning of this thread a link to the blog.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I am hoping they get this moved on swiftly.  I got the response similar to above when I raised the issue some weeks back explaining that it was to do with migration to the cloud and that they were aware and working on a solution. Prior to the last few days it was hit and miss wether it worked or not.. usually closing and re-opening would give it a kick start , however the past 3 days chat in my group has refused to work at all.  This is one of the ways in which we get people to populate the sim and it is very important that we get it back working as soon as possible (similarly to others no doubt) .

I was wondering if there is any way to migrate an entire group to a new one? and if possible would this even fix the issue?!... it's been a long time now since it worked properly (back in early sep) and I would have hoped by now to have seen some improvement rather than regressing further back and being worse as it has done.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know of an easy way to migrate a group membership to a new one, but I suspect that a new group might suffer exactly the same problems.

LL are on the case, or so they assure us. There was a degree of doubt as to whether LL understood how important groups were to residents, when they proposed a reduction in the number of groups we were permitted. A big hoo-hah resulted, LL, to their credit, listened, and scrapped that plan. We can therefore assume that LL do understand how important group facilities are, and will give whatever priority they can to this problem - can't we? mmm...hope so!

Right now, LL are up to their neck in getting everything transferred over to AWS. That seems to be happening at pace. I'm sure they'll get onto a number of issues that are needing attention when the transfer is complete - group chat/messages being just one.

Fingers crossed!

 

 

P.S.

Do read the Uplift Update, posted by @RowanMinx(about a dozen or so posts above) if you haven't already.

Edited by Odaks
Added PS
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, IslaGrace said:

I was wondering if there is any way to migrate an entire group to a new one? and if possible would this even fix the issue?!...

First question:  No.  Primarily because there is no automated way of adding people to a group.  They must do it themselves - and for good reason.  If you want a new group, you just have to let the old group folks know the new group name and they all have to join it individually.

Second question:  Old group or new group makes no difference.  Problems with groups are problems with groups.  The back end code does not know how old the group is.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I still can't read group chat. But I did look at the status page. Below is the update.

========

Investigating - We are aware of failures with message delivery in group chat which are impacting some users. We believe that we have identified the cause, however the fix is going to take a bit of time to implement. Please forgive the inconvenience as we work to address this issue.
Nov 13, 12:02 PST
===========================
So the fix is going to take some time.
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/10/2020 at 8:12 PM, Frankie Antonioni said:

So I long on at 5;30 PM ET, and I can't read group chat. I can post messages, and everybody in the group can read it, but I can't. I can read a personal IM. That is no problem. And it is not just me. Somebody I know had that happen to them two weeks ago. She couldn't read group chat for about a week. I did file a ticket. But I would hate to go for a week without reading group chat.

So what is going on? This keeps happening over, and over. Is anybody else on here having the same problem? I don't mean a few days ago, or last week. But right now.

Same thing has been happening to me for at least the last 3-4 days in a group I own. Hope they fix it soon. I did put in a ticket but... not sure if I should hold my breath on it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, West Habercom said:

Same thing has been happening to me for at least the last 3-4 days in a group I own. Hope they fix it soon. I did put in a ticket but... not sure if I should hold my breath on it.

One person in one of my groups, said that she couldn't read group chat for about a week. So there is no telling when it will be fixed. I still can't read group chat.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Frankie Antonioni said:

Still not able to read messages in group chat. I wonder what is taking LL so long? I hope it will be working tomorrow. Tomorrow will be seven days without reading group chat.

It's actually been a couple months since the major issue with group chat started.  Hopefully, once the uplift to the cloud is completed, they'll be able to fix group chat.

Link to post
Share on other sites
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 64 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...