What tha F atpack...???

Ultima Cloud

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1251 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Seriously. I do not get the bilking some of you request of us for some of these fatpacks. I shop a lot. Probably an unhealthy amount for the current situation most people are in during these times. I personally don't mind dropping Ls on something I feel is worth it. But I honestly don't like the feeling of someone attempting to squeeze every penny out of me either. Especially if the creator hardly put any effort, if any at all into the product they are trying to bilk me with.

I'm not going to cast a wide net and say that this is prevalent because that would be untrue. It is pretty prevalent in the marketplace but amongst actual in-world popular vendors I'd say on average there's 1 - 3 of them at each of these monthly events that only use premade mesh and a premade color changer hud that only change the color box in the texture tab. So essentially the creator put very little time into these products yet want 2k+ for a fatpack?

This started itching at me at a popular event maybe 2 months ago. There was this dress with a prime spot at this event, right in the middle with a fatpack priced at 2k with a sign next to it saying "50% off". I was like what? So this dress is worth 4k? Last time I spent that much on anything was for a mansion the creator spent 2 years building. I considered buying a color I liked but was totally turned off by the fatpack price and decided against it.  I tried demo and it was just one dress with one texture and a hud that only changed the color in the color box... And today at an event I see a fatpack from a vendor. One that has been called out before for using cgtrader mesh selling a fatpack for 2k+ with, again, one texture with a color changer hud.

I don't care that your fatpack has 20 colors in it. I might like 2 or 3 and I would consider spending more if the fatpack was for the cost of 4 or 5 regardless of the total amount of colors. I'd never spend 10 times the price of one for a fatpack and am more likely to walk away from the product altogether.

Edited by Ultimo Constantineau
  • Like 2

I am gonna have to agree on this. While I will buy Fat-packs to get more variety for the money, I can have the same outfit but make it look different, mix n match with other pieces, having too many colours is daunting and overwhelming in the first place. I have a limit of 2K for a FP if it looks awesome, well made and has lots of HUD choices. But over that  I am gonna nope on that also, I would rather buy one or two of the same outfit, with different colours to mix n match.  I am known to spend 12-15K at events and 10-11K in stores so I do know shopping and I do know my HUDS also since I make them too.

There is a few designers I just love because they break up the FP in to like four or 5  similar colour FP and price them reasonably. What I totally hate are those huds with tiny buttons with butt loads of colour choices but the buttons are too small to actually see what tone the colour is, it is a dark blue or a navy, its it a dark green or black, is it white or cream..ETC..

I think paying over 2K for too many colours is not really cost effective for the consumer, I mean honestly just how many colours on that HUD do you actually use? Why pay for those 5 colours you hate or looks really bad with your avie skin/hair? I know from making HUD's myself, its a pain in the A** to make and put in the texture UUIDS, scripts, the photoshop work etc but charging a stupid amount is defeating the purpose of a FAT-PACK, the purpose of a FP is to bring all the colours you already offer individually already together to save your customer the money,  maybe offer a bonus colour to sweeten the deal.

I think the reason why designers make too many colours and put in too many colours is they are afraid of missing a possible sale, trying to please too many people at once but fail to see they miss more when people nope out of the said FP. Don't get me wrong I love me some FP, prefer buying them when I can but like the OP said, charging absorbent prices, regardless of" They are just Lindens" is pass for me too.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Gem Oxygen said:

I am gonna have to agree on this. While I will buy Fat-packs to get more variety for the money, I can have the same outfit but make it look different, mix n match with other pieces, having too many colours is daunting and overwhelming in the first place. I have a limit of 2K for a FP if it looks awesome, well made and has lots of HUD choices. But over that  I am gonna nope on that also, I would rather buy one or two of the same outfit, with different colours to mix n match.  I am known to spend 12-15K at events and 10-11K in stores so I do know shopping and I do know my HUDS also since I make them too.

There is a few designers I just love because they break up the FP in to like four or 5  similar colour FP and price them reasonably. What I totally hate are those huds with tiny buttons with butt loads of colour choices but the buttons are too small to actually see what tone the colour is, it is a dark blue or a navy, its it a dark green or black, is it white or cream..ETC..

I think paying over 2K for too many colours is not really cost effective for the consumer, I mean honestly just how many colours on that HUD do you actually use? Why pay for those 5 colours you hate or looks really bad with your avie skin/hair? I know from making HUD's myself, its a pain in the A** to make and put in the texture UUIDS, scripts, the photoshop work etc but charging a stupid amount is defeating the purpose of a FAT-PACK, the purpose of a FP is to bring all the colours you already offer individually already together to save your customer the money,  maybe offer a bonus colour to sweeten the deal.

I think the reason why designers make too many colours and put in too many colours is they are afraid of missing a possible sale, trying to please too many people at once but fail to see they miss more when people nope out of the said FP. Don't get me wrong I love me some FP, prefer buying them when I can but like the OP said, charging absorbent prices, regardless of" They are just Lindens" is pass for me too.

I generally max out around 1600-1800 for a fatpack. And they aren't just the color changer kinds. I went over this past weekend for one that was 1850 but that was only because I saw another outfit fatpack for 885 that i liked. So to me it was like spending 2735 for two fatpacks or 1367.50 each. I know i have a pathetic way of justifying my shopping habit.

I easily spent 15k at the neojapan event. I wouldnt say I spend that much at the monthlies. I usually just look for new releases by my favorite vendors then just poke around. I find these great for finding new vendors. edit: Not brand new vendors but vendors I may have never heard of or considered before.

42 minutes ago, Ultimo Constantineau said:

I generally max out around 1600-1800 for a fatpack. And they aren't just the color changer kinds. I went over this past weekend for one that was 1850 but that was only because I saw another outfit fatpack for 885 that i liked. So to me it was like spending 2735 for two fatpacks or 1367.50 each.

I easily spent 15k at the neojapan event. I wouldnt say I spend that much at the monthlies. I usually just look for new releases by my favorite vendors then just poke around. I find these great for finding new vendors. edit: Not brand new vendors but vendors I may have never heard of or considered before.

I agree with everything you've said and would like to add that I hate even more when some creators ONLY sell as a fatpack.  It's not nearly as prevalent but I've seen it at several events.  Most people wear a few basic colors in my opinion.  I almost never wear pink or purple so why should I be paying for something I won't even wear?

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, RowanMinx said:

I agree with everything you've said and would like to add that I hate even more when some creators ONLY sell as a fatpack.  It's not nearly as prevalent but I've seen it at several events.  Most people wear a few basic colors in my opinion.  I almost never wear pink or purple so why should I be paying for something I won't even wear?

I don't mind buying them if the price is right. Heck if the price is right I might get it just because its a good deal. For instance there's a fat pack hair at this event by one of my favorite vendors for 488. Im probably not going to ever use it... Maybe once for a photo. But 488? For a fatpack?? Yes please. MINE nam nam nam.

My friend showed me this store the other day and I found this gem of a fatpack for 369L. So many editable faces xD.  I say rather than get annoyed just shop around. There's a lot of reasonable vendors out there you don't have to shop at the high price ones. High prices in SL doesn't necessarily equal better quality anyways.

new coat_001.jpg

Edited by Finite

On 11/10/2020 at 4:06 AM, Ultimo Constantineau said:

Seriously. I do not get the bilking some of you request of us for some of these fatpacks. I shop a lot. Probably an unhealthy amount for the current situation most people are in during these times. I personally don't mind dropping Ls on something I feel is worth it. But I honestly don't like the feeling of someone attempting to squeeze every penny out of me either. Especially if the creator hardly put any effort, if any at all into the product they are trying to bilk me with.

I'm not going to cast a wide net and say that this is prevalent because that would be untrue. It is pretty prevalent in the marketplace but amongst actual in-world popular vendors I'd say on average there's 1 - 3 of them at each of these monthly events that only use premade mesh and a premade color changer hud that only change the color box in the texture tab. So essentially the creator put very little time into these products yet want 2k+ for a fatpack?

This started itching at me at a popular event maybe 2 months ago. There was this dress with a prime spot at this event, right in the middle with a fatpack priced at 2k with a sign next to it saying "50% off". I was like what? So this dress is worth 4k? Last time I spent that much on anything was for a mansion the creator spent 2 years building. I considered buying a color I liked but was totally turned off by the fatpack price and decided against it.  I tried demo and it was just one dress with one texture and a hud that only changed the color in the color box... And today at an event I see a fatpack from a vendor. One that has been called out before for using cgtrader mesh selling a fatpack for 2k+ with, again, one texture with a color changer hud.

I don't care that your fatpack has 20 colors in it. I might like 2 or 3 and I would consider spending more if the fatpack was for the cost of 4 or 5 regardless of the total amount of colors. I'd never spend 10 times the price of one for a fatpack and am more likely to walk away from the product altogether.

When some of the most popular and high quality stores, eg. Blueberry charge 1299L for fatpacks, it does raise my eyebrow when I see anything much more than that. It would have to be super awesome to warrant it IMO.

I've also noticed some stores lie about the 50% discounts. They'll claim its 50% off, but when I check either after the sale/event or check their mp, it's not even. It just turns me off their store. I always check now. Just because they stick a 50% sign, doesn't make it true.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, AdminGirl said:

When some of the most popular and high quality stores, eg. Blueberry charge 1299L for fatpacks, it does raise my eyebrow when I see anything much more than that. It would have to be super awesome to warrant it IMO.

I've also noticed some stores lie about the 50% discounts. They'll claim its 50% off, but when I check either after the sale/event or check their mp, it's not even. It just turns me off their store. I always check now. Just because they stick a 50% sign, doesn't make it true.

Ha yes I've noticed that a lot lately as well at events. It's deceiving. They literally mean it's 50% off the price of buying all 20 of their colors individually. It's not 50% off what they normally sell fatpacks for. It's kind of sad that it's at popular events too since I feel like it makes all the other participating vendors look bad as well. I mean if this one is trying to deceive me how do you think I feel about the people affiliated with them?

• Like 2

On 11/9/2020 at 12:43 PM, Gem Oxygen said:

What I find super annoying is when a merchant makes a fatpack in it with a "bonus item" that is not available as a separate purchase. So he puts out 6 things that are all pretty mundane but one nice "bonus" thing that you can only get by spending $1500. And that's the idea. That item will never appear later as a sale or hunt item. You are thus pressured into buying the fat. So in those situations I don't. A fat should be a discount to encourage you to buy more than 2-3 as the 6 in the fat will be less than if you buy 6 outright. Adding an item ONLY in the fat is rarely an encouragement.

Another annoyance is when you are carefully shopping and trying to avoid $750 and spend $300, and all of a sudden discover because you weren't REALLY paying attention that 2 items now equal $725 -- with 4 more to go. Again: the fat should be a discount off the 6, but it's silly for the merchant to make it less than the cost of 2 or 3 of the 6, as the customer will either be annoyed and not shop again or just buy one thing.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

What I find super annoying is when a merchant makes a fatpack in it with a "bonus item" that is not available as a separate purchase. So he puts out 6 things that are all pretty mundane but one nice "bonus" thing that you can only get by spending $1500. And that's the idea. That item will never appear later as a sale or hunt item. You are thus pressured into buying the fat. So in those situations I don't. A fat should be a discount to encourage you to buy more than 2-3 as the 6 in the fat will be less than if you buy 6 outright. Adding an item ONLY in the fat is rarely an encouragement.

Another annoyance is when you are carefully shopping and trying to avoid $750 and spend $300, and all of a sudden discover because you weren't REALLY paying attention that 2 items now equal $725 -- with 4 more to go. Again: the fat should be a discount off the 6, but it's silly for the merchant to make it less than the cost of 2 or 3 of the 6, as the customer will either be annoyed and not shop again or just buy one thing.

Yes I feel like some vendors go for the juggler instead of going for the sale. Their prices should direct people toward the fatpack. Instead it's like their fatpack pricing directs people toward the singular purchase. I think some just base their pricing off what other people's prices are and don't have any actual matrices or anything to base their prices off of. I feel like if a fatpack were more reasonably priced they'd generate more sales and ultimately make more Ls than they would making minimal sales for high priced fatpacks. Some of the higher end vendors don't charge and arm and leg for fatpacks. And you won't see any of the higher end ones that do charge high prices at the top events because then their customers will see who the real big bois are and what they are charging.

I walked into a shop the other day after seeing their products demonstrated at a show. I went in with pure intentions to buy things. Then I saw fatpacks for 3100+. I mean. You know whats worth 3k+? A house, head and body ect. You know, things that you use every day. Not outfits you might wear on occasion. I ended up not buying anything at all.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1251 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.