Firestorm Viewer X64 - Defaults upon every logout?

hannahwee10

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1263 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hi all,

Wonder if someone can advise on a Firestorm issue.

With Firestorm X64 all the settings restore to default, every time I close the browser and leave a session; when I come to log back in, everything has reverted to factory settings...its driving me mad! Have tried a clean install and it doesn't seem to make a difference. Any ideas as to what maybe causing this?

If I use the 32bit version it doesn't happen; only with the 64bit viewer.

Thanks in advance!

6 answers to this question

Just now, hannahwee10 said:

Hi all,

Wonder if someone can advise on a Firestorm issue.

With Firestorm X64 all the settings restore to default, every time I close the browser and leave a session; when I come to log back in, everything has reverted to factory settings...its driving me mad! Have tried a clean install and it doesn't seem to make a difference. Any ideas as to what maybe causing this?

If I use the 32bit version it doesn't happen; only with the 64bit viewer.

Thanks in advance!

That most definitely would be frustrating as heck.   I do not have an answer, but I have a few suggestions:

1)  Backup your settings as soon as you get them to you liking and then do a setting restore each time you start the viewer until you get the issue resolved.

2)  Double verify the permissions of the folder where the settings are - AppData\Roaming\Firestorm_x64. 

3)  Join the Firestorm group inworld and ask about the problem there.  

• Like 2

Oh, that's frustrating but actually easy to fix.  The 32-bit and 64-bit versions have different names, so if you have been using the 32-bit version and then install the 64-bit version, you will have two installed viewers.  If you haven't changed the icon on your desktop to point to the newly-installed 64-bit viewer, it will continue to open the 32-bit one every time you click on it (or use the Windows menu option in your startup menu).  The way to beat that is to update the icon (or startup menu) on your computer so that it points toward the 64-bit viewer.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

2)  Double verify the permissions of the folder where the settings are - AppData\Roaming\Firestorm_x64. 

This was my very first thought. :)  

And Rolig has a good point.  If you have two very similar viewers installed, that can lead to confusion... as in, that might confuse your computer!  :) 

5 hours ago, sandi Mexicola said:

This was my very first thought. :)  

And Rolig has a good point.  If you have two very similar viewers installed, that can lead to confusion... as in, that might confuse your computer!  :) 

If the installs are allowed to run in default mode, the two versions will install to different folders.  Additionally, assuming the installing user has proper abilities on the computer, the folders should all have the proper permissions.  However, sometimes people install software using a user that does not have all of the necessary abilities....... and sometimes users muck around with folder permissions.  

Rolig's suggestion is more likely the answer in this particular case.

• Like 1

The icon problem has popped up a couple of times with different brands of viewer. 

While it is possible it is a folder permissions issue... I think it very unlikely, unless you are NOT using the default folder locations.

To fix that, uninstall the 32-bit version. Unpin all the FS icons from the tool/task bar and delete any FS icons on the desktop. Even though the 64-bit one is installed, re-install over the top of the existing install. This should give you new icons that point to the right version of FS.

In the worst case... OR... if you want both versions installed... open the File Explorer image.png.0253e5d4009ec99fdbd408373e077d09.png and navigate to C:\Program Files\FirestormOS-Releasex64, (the EEP beta is in a different folder: Firestorm-Betax64 ) you may or may not see other FS program folders - If you use their EEP Beta, you have to look in that folder, either way, you are looking for a shortcut file:

image.png.51c1921893b83f2150abd1e478fd746d.png Once you find this file right-click on it and select Pin to task bar.

image.png.ede50e4cedd438c306817d8c348dae40.png

This will put an icon on your Task Bar that starts the correct version of the viewer.

If you want to save chat logs, you should ask in the Answers section of this forum.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1263 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.