Why are mesh products no mod?

Ultima Cloud

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1119 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

10 hours ago, Cinos Field said:

While I certainly don't agree with no mod items at all - and refuse to buy them except in some edge cases - there is this thing with a user modifying an item to look better than the original. It might result in them getting a lot of questions.

For example, I have some hair from one of the big names that I retextured, because I liked the mesh, but hated the textures, so I fixed it. I get people asking me about where it's from since they inspected and couldn't find it in the store. It might be that the creators also get asked about it, and they might be tired of it.

That's just about the only genuine reason I can think of. The "work of art" thing stops applying once it's mass-produced, IMO; if random SL meshes are art then so is a meal at McDonalds.

Similar here.  I also remember buying something awhile back and it was the opposite of the no-mod thing. The creator's note card mentioned if you didn't like the textures included, you could add your own and make the item unique. And the creator even put instructions how to do it. Like another poster put, I add "KZ" to the item's name. One person asked and told her where to get it and read the note card.

• Like 4

I honestly stop buying no-mod furniture. It was becoming a pain to work them into rezzers and make them fit the scenes I have. It is a shame too cause I've seen some really nice things but I just can't anymore with no-mod furniture.

rant:

I still buy no-mod clothing but am slowly leaning towards more mod stuff. Problem is majority of clothing creators make no-mod stuff. Probably to just sell the colors in singles, which I get but also.. why?

Do you know how annoying it is to spend $1300L or more L per item just so you can get all the colors to play with? This is obnoxious. I know some have made a killing like this but not everyone is going to buy that and would more likely buy their favorite color.

To me I would rather if the creator sold the fatpack version at around 300L-500L. Then I could buy 3-4 items for the same L$ and have more of their clothes to wear. Versus me getting this one cute top or set of jeans that I'll wear a few days and won't wear again for a few months (has happened). If I bought more from this creator for the same L$ spent, I'd wear more of their products, which in turn helps advertise for them.

Plus if it is mod, then I can go add material shine to my liking, maybe make a latex version of it and really enjoy the clothes I got, which will (and has) enticed others to get the same thing.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/6/2021 at 5:05 PM, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Can I suggest a quick course in Public Relations 100?

Your tone and language here is not making you someone I'd particularly want to patronize with my business, to be honest.

Perhaps you can lower the temperature a bit? I haven't seen anyone -- and especially neither Kimmi or Rowan -- who have said anything to merit this level of vituperation.

Dangit!!! You made me google a definition... Stop that. I has the two teen daughters homeschooled for a year covid brain... 

• Haha 2

I am not sure why.. but having mod mesh helps a lot while manually adjusting color.. HUD usually include textures but rarely include color adjustment HUD.

While buying clothing I prioritize MOD products.. so I can adjust color for mix match other clothing parts.

If its no MOD and no color HUD then it should provide large amount of textures.. 3 variant of white (pure white / gray / silky white), 3 variant of black (pure black / charcoal / silky black) etc..

I do not care about coloring a white dress to teal. It looks horrible.

What I want is a teal dress where I can TWEAK the colors by adding a hint of color, so it matches the shoes from another brand that has a different shade of teal. Big brand names as Blueberry and Addams have a lot, really a lot of color options. Still, they are damned hard to use with other brands. That are also no modify, so can't tweak anything.

But mostly I can't use them, because they are no mod. So I buy it in black or another neutral color. Yes, I buy from the no mod brands, because there are no other options if I will challenge myself to put together an original look. I have bought fatpacks too when I have gift cards or it is an event where prices are dropped. I get irritated when I try to find colors in that huge palette and are disappointed again and again.

Their fatpacks is mostly useless for me. Why people like them? Well, if they don't mix and match across brands, they can use the included colors and be satisfied.

I know 2 - TWO brands that sell modify mesh clothes. I bought a fatpack from the one this week.

Edited by Marianne Little
I posted too fast and added much
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

I know 2 - TWO brands that sell modify mesh clothes. I bought a fatpack from the one this week.

We should start a list or something.

I came across one brand this week, ˈtɒksɪk, that has started selling fatpacks (only) with Modify perms. (If you buy one of their older fatpacks they'll exchange for Modify on request.) I guess it might be limited to fatpacks to prevent buyers from tinting a single color pack, but I think it's more just a general incentive to pay up for a fatpack -- which definitely worked on me! 

In this case in particular, just tinting a "white" version wouldn't come close to the creator's distinct color textures (but we all know other brands that do little more than that when cranking out different color items).

Anyway, i definitely agree that just a tiny tweak will make two items color-compatible that would otherwise clash. And again, being me, I just can't help wanting to remove, add, or replace scripts.

(Speaking of scripts: why are creators so awful at auto-hide? Worst of all, that's particularly true of the scummy, no-mod selling ones, so there's no way to fix it? And being scummy no-mod sellers, they have lousy customer service too, so there's no fix forthcoming from them.)

Oh, also, a tip to mesh creators whether they sell Mod perm or not: For heaven's sake, always make any metal surface use a separate material (SL "side" or "face") from anything else, or be prepared to change an elaborately colored specularmap every time you change the metal diffuse texture. Only white metals shine white. Most have been simply doing it wrong.

• Like 1

It hasn't affected me much because I mostly have short hair, but Indra, my girl alt, has discovered the pain that is no-mod clothing set to Alpha Blend, which means that it cannot be worn with long hair. And since she ALWAYS has long hair, that basically means a total no-sale - which basically means.... there is hardly anything available because nearly EVERYTHING is set to alpha-blend when it almost never needs to be.

It's not the no-mod that bothers me as much as the Alpha Blend. There is absolutely no reason for it whatsoever unless the garment is lacy, which 99.999% of them are not.

Toi all clothing creators, please, please switch your clothes to Alpha Masked or None before hitting that no-mod tickybox. 

I have just about given up buying any tops or dresses for her which are not full-perm kits, for which I am making my own textures. 

• Like 1

It's these annoyances that make me sell everything mod in my own stores. Want to modify my furniture, resize it, edit the AVPos notecard? Go for it, you paid for it. I appreciate it when I can do that with the things I buy. My alt sells clothing, it is all mod except for scripts. You can tint it, link it, whatever. But what if people unlink or rename a prim that a script depends on and break the item?! Yes it is possible but the benefits to the customer of providing a modifiable product outweigh that small risk, and that is what redelivery is for. 

• Like 7

9 hours ago, Stephanie Misfit said:

It's these annoyances that make me sell everything mod in my own stores. Want to modify my furniture, resize it, edit the AVPos notecard? Go for it, you paid for it. I appreciate it when I can do that with the things I buy. My alt sells clothing, it is all mod except for scripts. You can tint it, link it, whatever. But what if people unlink or rename a prim that a script depends on and break the item?! Yes it is possible but the benefits to the customer of providing a modifiable product outweigh that small risk, and that is what redelivery is for. 

I wish I could like your post more than once.😍

• Like 1

On 3/4/2021 at 11:30 AM, Qie Niangao said:

We should start a list or something.

I came across one brand this week, ˈtɒksɪk, that has started selling fatpacks (only) with Modify perms. (If you buy one of their older fatpacks they'll exchange for Modify on request.) I guess it might be limited to fatpacks to prevent buyers from tinting a single color pack, but I think it's more just a general incentive to pay up for a fatpack -- which definitely worked on me! 

Toksik:

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e4726wr0wep1114pris6u

I think I want ten single different items instead of a fatpack though... damn. So no mod for me eh.

But it a good example, I want it, so I buy it. Creators who sell NoMod that I love, are not punished with a "no buy". I am so weak.

On 3/4/2021 at 5:30 AM, Qie Niangao said:

that's particularly true of the scummy, no-mod selling ones, so there's no way to fix it? And being scummy no-mod sellers, they have lousy customer service too, so there's no fix forthcoming from them.

Wow, insulting merchants for how they chose to sell their items.. Just lost all respect I had for you. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I prefer clothing fatpacks being modify, too, for the reasons that have been mentioned already: tweaking color tints for a better mix&match, or adjusting materials to one's own taste. Now for single clothing items being no-mod, I don't blame anyone at all. I can't expect to get all the fancy features either if I wanted to purchase the deluxe version of a sportscar for a standard car price.

23 hours ago, Yukiko Yeshto said:

I prefer clothing fatpacks being modify, too, for the reasons that have been mentioned already: tweaking color tints for a better mix&match, or adjusting materials to one's own taste. Now for single clothing items being no-mod, I don't blame anyone at all. I can't expect to get all the fancy features either if I wanted to purchase the deluxe version of a sportscar for a standard car price.

I don't see modify rights as a fancy feature... I like to shop, but I do not like to use the same clothes again and again. So buying a fatpack because I want to tweak the peach color by adding a little red, is overkill. I will most likely not use purple, coffee, wine, cream, ebony etc, etc from that fatpack again.

If I like the style of the clothes, I would continue to buy single clothes in the color I fancy in an outfit just now, wear them once, buy more single ones...

Even if I am spending money quite freely in SL, I balk at the idea of buying fatpacks, just for wearing one color from it.

I think the stores that thrive on fatpacks do well because they have established a large group following and send out "Promo group only" "Like us on Facebook* and win this fatpack" and similar messages several times a week. There are enough people who like to buy fatpacks. At least the three store's I have in mind.

*I hate Facebook and will not join it for a virtual fatpack! 😡

I'm pretty adamant about only buying no-mod furniture -- unless the item is super awesome at a great price.

I don't even check whether clothing is no-mod or not.  The only clothing I've ever cared about modifying is the pieces of flexi skirts - and the few skirts that have flexi parts these days do still leave the flexi part modifiable.

While I don't check whether hair is mod or not when I buy it, I do appreciate it being modifiable on those occasions when the color is not quite the shade of auburn that I want or a stray piece is interfering with something else that I'm wearing.

• Like 1

@Marianne Little 

I understand your point. But if I consider all the other circumstances what original creations mean in regard of time, effort and costs that have to be put in, I come to the conclusion that the actual product is not the single items, but the fatpack. Hence, offering singles is offering restricted, basic byproducts, and giving those customers who are on a budget the chance to enjoy the item partially at least. 

Maybe there was less dissatisfaction if there wasn't this - in my opinion - huge gap of original creators not making the creation process and all the other responsibilities transparent enough, and customers being unaware about all of that. In the end, this lack of making understandable/understanding is probably the most disheartening for both sides since it creates a lot of misunderstandings.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1119 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.