Why is VRChat taking over where SL should be? Why is there no Android/IOS client?

JohnLe Fukai

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1206 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I don't play either I am here in SL every day.

VR Chat is just a bunch of noise. (Yes I went there)
(maybe people got lonely in SL if they went here)

Minecraft looks like peaceful creative building. (No I haven't been there)
(maybe people got tired of people talking when they try to build in SL if they went here)

As for the mobile phone client I am pretty sure they are working on it.

Making drunk posts is never a good idea ... you might get lucky and no one notices as they are busy making animal threads.

Edited by JUSTUS Palianta
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, JohnLe Fukai said:

We had/have the greatest virtual world ever created.

Why did Minecraft (*****ing lego blocks) win over SL?

I am drunk, I get depressed ;_;

It didn't "win" per se, if per se is the phrase I'm looking for (brain dead due to election madness overkill).  Minecraft is just more accessible on a myriad of devices as well as easier for "kids" and it's something to keep the kids occupied so parents can grab some alone time to talk or relax that's why it's more popular or has a higher user base - easier, works on all kinds of devices, keeps parent's happy.   SL will have a mobile app soon but I'm sure it's more for talking (messaging) than graphics. 

Edited by FairreLilette
  • Like 1

First things first: VR Chat is not on the track to overtaking Second Life. It's a niche within a niche.

VR Chat doesn't have as many total users as Second Life. VR Chat's all-time-high for concurrent users (never mind daily users) is way lower than Second Life's daily average. VR Chat's concurrent numbers aren't even in an upward trend.

3D chatrooms such as Second Life, VR Chat, IMVU, or any other "virtual world" are inherently harder to get into than the wider world of gaming, which is why it's never going to reach numbers like Minecraft, or most MMO ("massively multiplayer online") games. That said, Second Life is still on the top of the food-chain when it comes to others like it. You've got no reason to drink if that's your only fear.

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator
  • Like 3

39 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

It didn't "win" per se, if per se is the phrase I'm looking for (brain dead due to election madness overkill).  Minecraft is just more accessible on a myriad of devices as well as easier for "kids" and it's something to keep the kids occupied so parents can grab some alone time to talk or relax that's why it's more popular or has a higher user base - easier, works on all kinds of devices, keeps parent's happy.   SL will have a mobile app soon but I'm sure it's more for talking (messaging) than graphics. 

I think they won if the metric used is “profit”.... for Minecraft specifically too....

55 minutes ago, Charlotte Bartlett said:

I think they won if the metric used is “profit”.... for Minecraft specifically too....

I wasn't using profit...I think it's trying to compare night to day.  Second Life and Minecraft attract two different user bases; have different minimum spec requirements; etc.  I wasn't using profit at all, but rather they are just totally different using the parameters I wrote above.  I don't think parents of young kids want their kids on Second Life.  We cannot compare a family game to what is a PG/mostly Adult "game".  

Compare Second Life with a PG/Adult "game" that needs the same specs and doesn't sell toys as Fortnite does.  Fortnite makes a mint off of selling toys.  So, it's probably IMVU that is comparable to Second Life.  I don't know if IMVU is in the same league as SL profit-wise or not but I'd say probably not.  Second Life and Minecraft are in different categories...like watching the Music award shows have different categories. 

Edited by FairreLilette

Bunch of nonesense. SL, Minecraft and VR chat are 3 very different things. They are not fishing for the exact same pool of users, as they are not providing the same thing. Anf Minecraft for example draws its popularity from a very young crowd. I really don't think we should envy it for that aspect.

I didn't really focus on VRChat before today because the "chat" threw me off, making it sound like an old AOL chat room with A/S/L.

But this SL friend of mine on Twitter pointed to a totally awesome furry reconstruction of the Four Seasons Total Landscaping Co. So it looks like the avatars aren't as cartoony as I thought and the building isn't all Minecrafty. 

It's pretty awesome, but if you look closely, you realize you could make something so much better in SL because the props like the fire hydrant, hose, adult book shop etc. are all models in SL. 

I had this FB debate with Scoble a few weeks ago when he was raving about Microsoft's new VR platform, I always say "SL is better". But it may not be for other people who didn't have years to learn all the torturous things we have learned.

What do you mean by taking over where SL should be? VRChat and Minecraft are very different from SL and also different from each other. Even IMVU, which also has apps for both iPhone and Android, and is more similar to SL than the things you mentioned is still different enough and also not "taking over". 

Also, I want to know why you care. Because a lot of people still play SL and if you enjoy it why does it matter if other people are playing something else?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Kimmi Zehetbauer said:

SL is best meant for the desktop/laptop --- not mobile.

Unless it was something very important, I don't see why people feel the need to stay connected to SL on their phones.  Are they at work and that's the only way they can?  If so, GET BACK TO WORK!  What did we all do when we weren't available 24/7 on some device or another?  I would never think of just texting my husband while he was at work unless it was something that needed immediate attention.

As far as VRchat...different strokes for different folks?  Is it accessible on your phone?  They really need to stop doing that IMO.  

• Like 3

VR is getting more traction (much slower than previously anticipated but they still do), and they have the advantage of more younger users who are more active on social media and creator platforms, not to mention being the new thing

SL is still way ahead in term of active users and many other things, I wish the planned VR viewer / project for SL works out though so we'll have that at least

5 minutes ago, lucagrabacr said:

VR is getting more traction (much slower than previously anticipated but they still do), and they have the advantage of more younger users who are more active on social media and creator platforms, not to mention being the new thing

SL is still way ahead in term of active users and many other things, I wish the planned VR viewer / project for SL works out though so we'll have that at least

The "VR viewer / project for SL" was dead and buried years ago.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, RowanMinx said:

That was last year.  Nothing more current?

https://blog.inf.ed.ac.uk/atate/2020/06/04/firestorm-vr-mod-6-3-9/

That's the latest. It is still being worked on just not by Linden Lab.

I suppose I should expect Solar to laugh at this post as well considering he believes VR support/testing for SL has stopped.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1206 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.