Tips for decorating a victorian?

Reese Wicken

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1261 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

finally got a victorian styled home, but now I have a problem... Decorating.

Aside from building a library (planned), I don't know what kind of furniture to go with.   Sometimes I'll walk around and cam into other homes and check them out for inspiration, but some in my area are naked so it's been tough.

Anyone have a reccomendation for creators that make victorian styled or even like a modern victorian twist is fine too?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eseme Nova said:

Aside from building a library (planned), I don't know what kind of furniture to go with.   Sometimes I'll walk around and cam into other homes and check them out for inspiration, but some in my area are naked so it's been tough.

Anyone have a reccomendation for creators that make victorian styled or even like a modern victorian twist is fine too?

Noctis :)

Not exactly about creators, but you may find some inspiration in the different Bellisseria groups in Flickr, like Bellisseria Community, Bellisseria Citizens, or My Bellisseria

As for the stores, Apple Fall or Nutmeg might work for you, but at least for me, adding a completely different style into a Victorian home, works really well, I feel these building can take any style as long as the furniture is of good quality. 

• Like 1

Some style ideas:

• You can of course go straight Victorian, or Gothic Victorian
    • HHVET Victoriana has a bunch of very inexpensive items on the Marketplace
    • DRD has some Victorian items that lean dark/gothic, on the Marketplace and their in-world store
    • Also check out DDD (Disfunctionality), Velvet Whip, and Boudoir. I know the first two have in-world stores as well as being on the Marketplace, not sure about the third. And Noctis, as already mentioned.
    • I think Trompe Loeil has a few Victorian items, and LISP may have too.
  • A mix of Victorian and Steampunk. There aren't many stores that specialize in Steampunk, but if you do a search in the Home and Garden section in Marketplace you'll find a lot of steampunk items.
    • Ex Machima and Drow Science are two stores that have a bunch of Steampunk items.
  • Another fun theme that I've seen is sort of the turn of the 20th century world traveler/adventurer influence. Bring in globes, world maps, telescopes, antique cameras, items styled as if they came from India, Africa and Asia. Hunting trophies like stuffed heads and fur rugs.
  • I find that an elegant-leaning "shabby chic" or European-tinged Country style works well too (you also can mix antique-style furniture from different eras). This is where Apple Fall and Nutmeg come in, also Munick,  Spagel & Shire; also some items from Moss & Mink, Vespertine, LISP and Trompe Loeil.
  • I've even done Retro/Mid-Century which surprisingly works nicely in open, airy rooms.
  • And finally, contemporary items that have softer, rounded lines (I guess traditional-contemporary). Apple Fall, Mudhoney, LISP, Munick, etc. I've never done "hard" contemporary in one of those homes (think like metal, marble, white/black, etc., like Architect). But I have done softer contemporary.
Edited by Trinity1776
  • Like 5

On 11/6/2020 at 3:54 AM, Eseme Nova said:

Hi Eseme, hope you've been having fun decorating your Vic, did you get it finished or still tweeking? Feel free to pop over and have a look at mine. Think i've put a mixture of modern and aged furniture styles in. Just threw down what i liked and felt looked good. http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Grote Dijk/66/117/24

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1261 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.