The Importance of HUDs Being Small

Jennifer Boyle

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1217 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

On 11/4/2020 at 11:37 PM, Jennifer Boyle said:

As time goes on, many of us are using more and more HUDs. We have them for AOs, mesh bodies, mesh heads, deformers, various attachments, and all kinds of mesh clothing. Consequently, when we first don an outfit containing multiple texture-change items, we may have ten or more HUDs onscreen. With the need for so many, it becomes critically important for them to take no more space than necessary. etc

When it comes to AO's I use the client Animation Override. (In rare cases when i want to invite others to sync dance i use Akeyo Power AO which is small anyway.)
Personally i don't mind about HUD sizes that much since i rarely have any on screen.
In regards to avatar i always make a copy of the items customized with each outfit so when i want to swap outfit's their "store/save" option is obsolete for me.
Once an outfit is ready i de-script all accessories, hair, etc (except body and head) to keep server script load minimal and for every new outfit i either use a new copy of body/head/skin/accessories that fits to the look i want or start from scratch. No rush.

**Fact is many HUD's are badly scripted/memory optimized so in case you get kicked out from a region for having high script load... well you know why that happened.

Screenshot_2020-11-08_10-35-05.thumb.png.f6ff89f56ab32e349ff94788ab25d937.png

• Like 1

On 11/7/2020 at 12:17 AM, Mollymews said:

me too

here is my One Outfit HUD Life. On my 2560 x 1440 screenmyscreen_004.thumb.jpg.8f42ab35467e760a3677c4067c87c31e.jpg

A perfect example.

11 hours ago, Nick0678 said:
When it comes to AO's I use the client Animation Override. (In rare cases when i want to invite others to sync dance i use Akeyo Power AO which is small anyway.)
Personally i don't mind about HUD sizes that much since i rarely have any on screen.
In regards to avatar i always make a copy of the items customized with each outfit so when i want to swap outfit's their "store/save" option is obsolete for me.
Once an outfit is ready i de-script all accessories, hair, etc (except body and head) to keep server script load minimal and for every new outfit i either use a new copy of body/head/skin/accessories that fits to the look i want or start from scratch. No rush.

**Fact is many HUD's are badly scripted/memory optimized so in case you get kicked out from a region for having high script load... well you know why that happened.

Screenshot_2020-11-08_10-35-05.thumb.png.f6ff89f56ab32e349ff94788ab25d937.png

Yes, but you aren't a female clothes horse!

I have hundreds or texture-change garments, and I like varying the colors and mixing and matching them in outfits. For special situations, like an ensemble that I know that I'll want to keep exactly the same over time, I do use your method. If I used it routinely, I would have thousands of of outfits and my inventory would be in the hundreds of thousands.

5 minutes ago, Mollymews said:

i would quite like a Bring To-Front and Send To Back right-click menu option for HUDs

Great idea!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Jennifer Boyle said:

A perfect example.

Yes, but you aren't a female clothes horse!

I have hundreds or texture-change garments, and I like varying the colors and mixing and matching them in outfits. For special situations, like an ensemble that I know that I'll want to keep exactly the same over time, I do use your method. If I used it routinely, I would have thousands of of outfits and my inventory would be in the hundreds of thousands.

Great idea!

Looking at the picture of all those huds?  Why?  I see a skin hud, A hair HUD, some jewelry? Several.items of clothing.  IDK, I've always done clothing first, max 2 huds if it's 2 pieces, then jewelry 1 HUD, shoes 1 HUD.  Taking each HUD off as I'm finished.  The only thing I'll agree on is when you minimize one and it still blocks part of your screen.  I just can't grasp why anyone would have ALL those huds on at one time.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RowanMinx said:

Looking at the picture of all those huds?  Why?  I see a skin hud, A hair HUD, some jewelry? Several.items of clothing.  IDK, I've always done clothing first, max 2 huds if it's 2 pieces, then jewelry 1 HUD, shoes 1 HUD.  Taking each HUD off as I'm finished.  The only thing I'll agree on is when you minimize one and it still blocks part of your screen.  I just can't grasp why anyone would have ALL those huds on at one time.

the pic shows all the HUDs that belong to that one outfit. The only HUD that doesn't apply to the outfit appearance is the AO bottom right

is like you say. We have to do it one HUD change at a time when we can't fit them all on the screen at the same time

1 hour ago, Mollymews said:

the pic shows all the HUDs that belong to that one outfit. The only HUD that doesn't apply to the outfit appearance is the AO bottom right

is like you say. We have to do it one HUD change at a time when we can't fit them all on the screen at the same time

Do you mean you have all those huds saved with an outfit?  

36 minutes ago, Sabrina Tamerlane said:

At least 2 of these HUDs can fold: the Maitreya one and the hair one in front where you can see a _ near the x, it means if you click there it will shrink...

yes. Some HUDs have minimize buttons

i think the main point of the OP was to remind product makers that their HUD is not the only HUD on our screens when putting an outfit together, and if they could bear this in mind when sizing their HUDs then this would be helpful

also when a HUD is minimised then the button doesn't need to be big. I get that sometimes a product maker can think that their HUD is also a branding moment for them but if the space on my screen becomes more about the branding and not about ease-of-use then this does influence my continued buying

• Like 2

9 hours ago, RowanMinx said:

To each her own.

The point isn't the exact number of HUDs. The point is that we need several, and, therefore, each needs to occupy only the NECESSARY screen space.

When I am tweaking the colors of components of an outfit, I need all the HUDs for all the garments onscreen (or available from minimized) because i am never sure about what color/pattern one part needs to be until I have decided on all. I may change the color of my skirt and then decide I need to change my blouse, and then decide I need to change my shoes, and then decide i need to change my jacket, and then decide I need to change my shoes again, etc. ad infinitum. I may have HUDs onscreen for hair that has a band that i can change the color of, top, bottom, hose, shoes, underwear, and, occasionally, purse and/ or hat.

Anyway, since a lot of customers want HUDs to be no larger than necessary, why wouldn't creators accommodate them? As other posters in this thread have made clear, it's pretty easy to do.

10 hours ago, RowanMinx said:

I use the same method as well although my monitor setup can go up to 3200x900 pixels.

Still don't find it necessary for me to have all of them at once on screen and yes in the bellow photo it's only one outfit with it's avatar dressing + accessories parts HUD's. But personally prefer to keep it simple and work one at a time.

Screenshot_2020-11-09_10-40-21.thumb.png.d8d1b40d7a2851c4bfcd7850b20acb07.png

Edited by Nick0678
  • Like 1

I make complete changes a lot  -skin, hair,make up, eyes, shape, bodies occasionally, as well as clothes , although I don't wear a ton of accessories.  And at max I may have 3 HUDs going at once, I usually have to move them so they don't over lap. I've moved to BOM for skin and most of my make up.

It"s interesting to see how different people do things. 

I rarely save outfits unless I want to take a picture later. I have a few base outfits (head/body combos that are naked).

Generally if I get dressed I'll pick  maybe a skin and then get inspired and build from there and put on things and take huds on and off to change as I change my mind.  and  sometimes I will change a pattern on something and totally get a different idea of how I want to look and then change everything again.

When I'm not changing things I have my AO

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

In first life, don’t need to see my entire closet, my makeup palettes all opened, my nail polish and nail art collection, hair accessories/wigs and all my shoe choices within my field of view all at once in order to get dressed.
So same for SL. I usually choose my skin, then my clothes and hair, add shoes and accessories, do makeup, make final tweaks then all huds off but hand animation cycle and maybe keep the hairstyle hud on if I want to swish my hair about that day. Since I have fave clothing stores, I often already just know their colors or tones. Makeup, I already know basically what look I’m after so I can build it, I usually don’t need all the color huds on at once. But I can fit most makeup huds on at once, I’ve done it when I got the Powder Packs, just for fun and playing in the cosmetics. 
At home, I also store my makeup in drawers, not all spread out, I already know what colors and finishes I’m looking for. 

The only time my screen has been super-annoyingly HUD-filled is when I did a fashion show and I needed over-the top layers of makeup to work well together with a hair and hair base for 2 looks, changed fairly quickly...so it took trial and error to find a good combo that worked, and I kept some huds on for the quick change to the second look. I’m sure full time models have better ways and with BOM, there are better tricks...for me, it’s still just easiest to save a second head copy in the outfit folder, I guess. 

• Thanks 1

Just another thought on this topic, huds do create lag some more than others, so if you are running around SL with like 5 huds open on your screen not only is the screen cluttered but you are causing lag.  Even if the huds are minimized they are still there.  If you use Firestorm there is a handy little window they have to save all your favourite wearables in so you don't have to hunt through your inventory to find a hud you frequently use,  just drag it into that window and pop that up when you need something.  As I said in an earlier post.. a small hud size may be fine for those with great vision, but we are all not so lucky, so for me anyhow huds need to be fairly large so I can see what I am doing with them.  Some huds are so small that I have to get  out a magnifying glass to see what I am clicking on.. and sorry that is just very inconvenient and not too efficient either.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Tazzie Tuque said:

If you use Firestorm there is a handy little window they have to save all your favourite wearables

Once I’m dressed, all the HUDs come off if I’m going somewhere. A great reminder for those most-often-worn hair styling ones too though, I’ll be adding those in there so I can pop them on and off. Truthfully, while they are a fun idea, I rarely use them to ‘flick my hair’ as much as I used to but I do appreciate them for styling variety. I used to be a big fan of the hair you could take up and down by touching the hair ornament *grin*. 

I have my most of my AO animations in the firestorm AO utility but I think the bento hand animation AO needs to be worn for those hand changes to continue to cycle. same for dance HUDs as noted above. 
Part of the reason I prefer Lelutka is due to the HUD being so well designed and pleasant to use. Part of that is the larger size. The first Catwa HUDs really put me off with the small half and half buttons. I do prefer the larger, ‘prettier’ HUDs that aren’t just black boxes with a logo and little blips, disks or squares of color. 

12 minutes ago, Fauve Aeon said:

Once I’m dressed, all the HUDs come off if I’m going somewhere. A great reminder for those most-often-worn hair styling ones too though, I’ll be adding those in there so I can pop them on and off. Truthfully, while they are a fun idea, I rarely use them to ‘flick my hair’ as much as I used to but I do appreciate them for styling variety. I used to be a big fan of the hair you could take up and down by touching the hair ornament *grin*. 

I have my most of my AO animations in the firestorm AO utility but I think the bento hand animation AO needs to be worn for those hand changes to continue to cycle. same for dance HUDs as noted above. 
Part of the reason I prefer Lelutka is due to the HUD being so well designed and pleasant to use. Part of that is the larger size. The first Catwa HUDs really put me off with the small half and half buttons. I do prefer the larger, ‘prettier’ HUDs that aren’t just black boxes with a logo and little blips, disks or squares of color. 

I've just been using bento stand animations so my hands do something without need of an additional HUD.  Not hand poses but actual movement which is much more realistic to me.

2 hours ago, RowanMinx said:

I've just been using bento stand animations so my hands do something without need of an additional HUD.  Not hand poses but actual movement which is much more realistic to me.

I have one AO that does this and you’re right, it looks much more natural than my maitreya hand cycling AO...but unfortunately, I don’t have a good kimono or large gown AO that has good bento hand animations yet. Regular AO look weird with kimono sleeves and large gowns need the hands not to vanish into the skirt and I wear both pretty regularly...so if anyone knows of either type with good hand animations, please LMK! 

11 minutes ago, Fauve Aeon said:

I have one AO that does this and you’re right, it looks much more natural than my maitreya hand cycling AO...but unfortunately, I don’t have a good kimono or large gown AO that has good bento hand animations yet. Regular AO look weird with kimono sleeves and large gowns need the hands not to vanish into the skirt and I wear both pretty regularly...so if anyone knows of either type with good hand animations, please LMK! 

I buy the pose animations separately.  I just got a few at level I think from Stun poses.  They include a curvy version as some other stores do as well.  They might work well with gowns and such.

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, RowanMinx said:

I buy the pose animations separately.  I just got a few at level I think from Stun poses.  They include a curvy version as some other stores do as well.  They might work well with gowns and such.

Thanks so much, I never even thought of testing the curvy animations, that might just be the thing I need to use so my arms clear the sides of at least some of the gowns. Especially if there are some with very bent elbows/hands up higher! Lolita fashion, civil war and 18th century gowns have always been a challenge for walks and stands.

3 minutes ago, Fauve Aeon said:

Thanks so much, I never even thought of testing the curvy animations, that might just be the thing I need to use so my arms clear the sides of at least some of the gowns. Especially if there are some with very bent elbows/hands up higher! Lolita fashion, civil war and 18th century gowns have always been a challenge for walks and stands.

These are the ones I just got

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/STUN-Anim-Pack-Collection-Bento-Evan-37/20309898

16 hours ago, Fauve Aeon said:

Foxy does a couple hairs where you wear a hair accessory round your wrist and it goes up. One option is long loose hair, you click the accessory on your wrist then it goes into ponytail then click accessory in your hair to let it down; the other option is mid length hair with click option of putting into a bun @Fauve Aeon. I read this post and saw that comment and thought hang on, Seren has hair that does that that current hair. :D 

• Like 1

On 12/17/2020 at 12:24 PM, Pomeline Pancake said:

Looking at Deadwool sock textures like 🔎

Impossibru! Ain’t nobody got time for that or trying them all on or quickly remembering which were ‘the good everyday ones’. THIS! 

@MrsSerenthank you, must check them out! That’s so fun.

Edited by Fauve Aeon
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Fauve Aeon said:

Impossibru! Ain’t nobody got time for that or trying them all on or quickly remembering which were ‘the good everyday ones’. THIS! 

@MrsSerenthank you, must check them out! That’s so fun.

Sorry for off topic again but if you do picture and post in forum with it on.... please tag me! :) 

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1217 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.