what's the matter????

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1245 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

21 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

If someone continually posts, with nobody else posting between their posts, does that mean they are talking to themselves or just on some wild rant?

Personally I have been wondering for a while if such continual posts are the handiwork of a paid political shill who is remunerated by the number of words or posts, posted. It would in some part explain the absolute closed mindedness to any other viewpoint even from people within the same party if they are not mouthing the same extreme narrative. The subverting every thread into their specific platform regardless of the wishes of the OP,  LL mods or even the community as a whole, begs the question of whether such an individual is just strongly opinionated or has an ulterior motive for doing so. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Per the article that you linked, the recount is expected to be completed by Nov 20th, definitely before the end of this month.

None of the states' laws allow for a second recount request by anyone.  

I was being hyperbolic, but you're right.

• Like 1

Black women were a major force for getting Biden elected and keeping us from the orange authoritarian.  I just hope Biden will attend to their requests as he's saying he will.

https://time.com/5909002/kamala-harris-black-women/

(article speaks to how we can do them right)

It's so discouraging that older white voters went much more for Trumpie though, but the younger white voters did not....so there is hope for a future that is more inclusive and not autocratic.

Edited by Luna Bliss

6 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

You know one of things that makes me smile the most is the support I'm seeing from all around the world, welcoming us back and not blaming us for the mess the US is in..

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I think this is key. It's not about the individuals, it's about the institutions.

And not caring about those, and what they mean, is what enables corruption in the first place.

I mentioned the immunity that almost all governments believe they have either constitutionally, sovereign crown or otherwise.  However, I did not clarify I meant that as a possible or 'the' crux for corruption...it's 'the king can do no wrong'...but corruption can go further than that.  What the little people of this world have had to deal with has been horrendous at times throughout history.   Trump is tame compared to some because Trump has a big mouth but not ultimate power for most non-military 'things'.  

Okay...off my soap box.  I found this chart interesting and I wondered how people feel about it today although there is no way to have polls on SL forums which I am sure many are grateful for.    

I'm just putting this here though because I thought it was interesting.

map.jpg

Edited by FairreLilette

1 hour ago, FairreLilette said:

I'm just putting this here though because I thought it was interesting.

map.jpg

IMO, it is probably pretty accurate. 

And boy is that a sorry statement on our Government and some aspects of our society.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

IMO, it is probably pretty accurate. 

And boy is that a sorry statement on our Government and some aspects of our society.

Yebbit what is meant by "trust"? How do you "trust" the military in the same way you do a small business? Trust them, any of them, to do what? And how do you compare? (This is more towards the Forbes graphic and not your comment.) I respect the people in the military (unless proven they cannot be) but do I trust the institutions? Which part of the military? No trust in the Supreme Court? What, people don't "trust" them to do what the individual trust-issue person WANTS them to do, or trust that the process is good? Trust that the process is good in theory? In practice?

Yeah... I'm having a whole lotta trouble with that graphic. I think there may be some truth in there, but where, and what is it? I'm not sure "trust" is the thing.

I'd say that graphic is a more accurate representation of "respect" or "like" than trust.

Edited by Gatogateau
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, Paul Hexem said:

Right? Hopefully the media's wrong, and Trump remains president, so the country doesn't turn into a fascist, communist state where they make us give up all our freedoms and wear masks everywhere!

bdf15f464b657bdcb1f590b4422266af.png

I just don't want to get my hope up too high on Kanye taking it all..

As much as those other two think they got it..anything is possible..

hehehe

• Haha 2

A message of hope from Obama:

"I recognize that there are those who believe that it’s time to discard the myth—that an examination of America’s past and an even cursory glance at today’s headlines show that this nation’s ideals have always been secondary to conquest and subjugation, a racial caste system and rapacious capitalism, and that to pretend otherwise is to be complicit in a game that was rigged from the start. And I confess that there have been times during the course of writing my book, as I’ve reflected on my presidency and all that’s happened since, when I’ve had to ask myself whether I was too tempered in speaking the truth as I saw it, too cautious in either word or deed, convinced as I was that by appealing to what Lincoln called the better angels of our nature I stood a greater chance of leading us in the direction of the America we’ve been promised.

I don’t know. What I can say for certain is that I’m not yet ready to abandon the possibility of America—not just for the sake of future generations of Americans but for all of humankind. I’m convinced that the pandemic we’re currently living through is both a manifestation of and a mere interruption in the relentless march toward an interconnected world, one in which peoples and cultures can’t help but collide. In that world—of global supply chains, instantaneous capital transfers, social media, transnational terrorist networks, climate change, mass migration, and ever-increasing complexity—we will learn to live together, cooperate with one another, and recognize the dignity of others, or we will perish. And so the world watches America—the only great power in history made up of people from every corner of the planet, comprising every race and faith and cultural practice—to see if our experiment in democracy can work. To see if we can do what no other nation has ever done. To see if we can actually live up to the meaning of our creed.

The jury’s still out. I’m encouraged by the record-setting number of Americans who turned out to vote in last week’s election, and have an abiding trust in Joe Biden and Kamala Harris, in their character and capacity to do what is right. But I also know that no single election will settle the matter. Our divisions run deep; our challenges are daunting. If I remain hopeful about the future, it’s in large part because I’ve learned to place my faith in my fellow citizens, especially those of the next generation, whose conviction in the equal worth of all people seems to come as second nature, and who insist on making real those principles that their parents and teachers told them were true but that they perhaps never fully believed themselves. More than anyone else, my book is for those young people—an invitation to once again remake the world, and to bring about, through hard work, determination, and a big dose of imagination, an America that finally aligns with all that is best in us."

This article is excerpted from Obama’s forthcoming book, A Promised Land.

7 hours ago, Maryanne Solo said:

Interesting graph and entirely accurate metinx.
Journalists don't even rate.

I was wondering what would be different in a coronavirus world and now after BLM and looking ahead towards dealing with systemic racism especially in regards to the police.

Plus, I've felt very abandoned by Congress this year and their response has hardly been one of great leaders let alone caring of their own people.

The one I see most going far lower in the coronavirus world right now is Congress re: both the Democrats and the Republicans.  I wasn't sure we needed another term with McConnell (Republican) and Pelosi (Democrat) after their deplorable treatment of the American people.  Yes, deplorable.  

Edited by FairreLilette

8 hours ago, Maryanne Solo said:

Journalists don't even rate.

I think this lack of trust in institutions, such as the journalism you point to, has a fundamental cause.

Think of America as it has increasingly become in recent years, where the health of its citizens is not seen as a human right, and higher education has become unaffordable for most. When a society doesn't care if its poor citizens live or die how can there be trust in any of its institutions!

At least in many other countries these important needs in a truly civilized society (health care and education) are seen as a public good, as a right, and they are afforded all, even the poor. This engenders a greater trust in society overall.

I think most poorer folks don't begrudge the greater wealth of the elites as long as they aren't being relegated to death if they get ill, or forced into permanent poverty due to not being able to rise above poverty via an affordable education!

How different this scenario is in America, where it's acceptable to have this bottom level of society (growing larger by the day) locked out of civilization at its most basic level. What caused America to feel it's okay to have this bottom, impoverished level, composed disproportionately of people of color?  Enter racism, where a far greater percentage of white people (mostly older ones) voted for Trump in this election, perpetuating this racism we've been plagued with for centuries...it's a disgrace!

Edited by Luna Bliss

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1245 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.