what's the matter????

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1250 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

3 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:
1 hour ago, Amina Sopwith said:

That is all he ever was. He has not got a drop of statesmanship in him. He is thin-skinned, brittle, narcissistic and blustering. He has no grace, no dignity, no humility, no magnificence and no convincing fake tan. 

And yet the dems were incapable of fielding a candidate capable of beating him in 2016 and are just scraping by for this term even with all we know of Trump. Therein lies the real horror for the American people in my opinion.

This movie (and book), both by the Historian Jon Meachem, helped me understand this problem a bit better, and even feel a sense of peace with the issues:

https://www.hbo.com/documentaries/the-soul-of-america

8 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

And yet the dems were incapable of fielding a candidate capable of beating him in 2016 and are just scraping by for this term even with all we know of Trump. Therein lies the real horror for the American people in my opinion.

Five million votes isn't scraping by.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

This movie (and book), both by the Historian Jon Meachem, helped me understand this problem a bit better, and even feel a sense of peace with the issues:

Well why don't you share what you feel is his best point as I am not likely to be reading it as my list is already way too long, :)

5 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

The Democrats haven't been able to put together a policy platform that reflects real change, and addresses the causes of the Trumpism.

There are millions of Americans who voted for Trump because they feel the system has failed them. And they're not wrong. The Democrats need to do better than "same-old same-old," or we'll be looking at another demagogue in 2024.

It will be interesting to see if Joe can indeed bring back the middle class to a degree and tamp some of the deprivation and anger down.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Arielle Popstar said:

It is from the perspective that Trump scuppered himself in the past couple months. Had it not been for that, I think he would have stood a good chance of another term.

Thems the breaks...imploded, outside forces, Aliens....

Time to give Biden a chance and see what he can do!

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

The Media Giants run a lot of America.  The little people get their say every now and then but it's not easy.  The Media Giants/moguls I'm sure loved Trump. 

2 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:
6 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Well why don't you share what you feel is his best point as I am not likely to be reading it as my list is already way too long, :)

Somehow it made me feel more at peace knowing we've had such horrific times before and overcame them -- that this period we've been in isn't really so unique and, like the past eras, we can overcome via appealing to 'our better angels' (our better nature, or side).  Here's a review by someone:

The Soul of America: The Battle for Our Better Angels

"The Gist: It’s no secret that we are living in one of the most divisive, chaotic, confusing periods in American history. Since the 2016 election, partisanship seems to be at an all-time high, and there doesn’t seem to be an end in sight. This doesn’t mean that all hope is lost, however. Pulitzer Prize-winning historian and author Jon Meacham believes that we can confront some of our more contemporary evils by examining America’s past. If we don’t arm ourselves with some understanding of the complexity of our own history, we’re doomed to fail in saving this country. And this complex history is exactly what Meacham dives into over the course of The Soul of America‘s 1 hour and 17 minute runtime.

While we get many clips of Meacham at various speaking engagements and insight about his upbringing and spirit from people close to him, the real heart of the documentary lies with the brief but thorough dives into specific historical periods. There’s the discussion of just how brazen the Ku Klux Klan once was, marching down Pennsylvania Avenue in the 1920s, an eerie mirroring of the horrifying events in Charlottesville just a few years ago. Women’s suffrage and their fight for the right to vote is also explored – and it’s made clear that this fight wasn’t for all women, just white women – and this is an issue that remains today, some 100 years later.

The parallels go on and on; the Japanese internment camps of the 1940s with children in detention centers today, the sensationalized headlines and fake news of McCarthy with our current administration (Meacham jokes that Senator McCarthy would have loved Twitter), to name just a couple. Above all, Meacham believes that we have the most to learn from the Civil Rights Movement and the unrelenting fight and collaborations that made it successful. With the help of fellow historians, authors, activists, and renowned names like John Lewis and George Takei, Meacham makes the case for America’s redemption and what it might take for us to make a better world for everyone."

• Like 1

1 minute ago, FairreLilette said:

The Media Giants run a lot of America.  The little people get their say every now and then but it's not easy.  The Media Giants/moguls I'm sure loved Trump. 

Not from what I saw the last election. Trump won in spite of them, not because of them. He trolled them like a professional angler. 

6 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

It will be interesting to see if Joe can indeed bring back the middle class to a degree and tamp some of the deprivation and anger down.

Honestly, I never thought it was going to be about him.. From the get go I always thought it was going to be about whoever he picked for VP..

I mean he looks pretty tired compared to when they were in the primaries..

Being President takes a toll on a person.. Young men check in, Gray haired men check out.. Just look at how gray Obama's hair got by the time he was done..

I thought Biden was too old when he started..As the campaign went on he was just looking more worn out along the way..I just think he'll step down and it will be Kamala..

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Not from what I saw the last election. Trump won in spite of them, not because of them. He trolled them like a professional angler. 

Oh they both played into it and will continue to do so.  As Bob Dylan said "the circus is in town".  But, hey step right this way, Arielle. 

2 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:
16 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Honestly, I never thought it was going to be about him.. From the get go I always thought it was going to be about whoever he picked for VP..

I mean he looks pretty tired compared to when they were in the primaries..

Being President takes a toll on a person.. Young men check in, Gray haired men check out.. Just look at how gray Obama's hair got by the time he was done..

I thought Biden was too old when he started..As the campaign went on he was just looking more worn out along the way..I just think he'll step down and it will be Kamala..

It's all really about the platform created by Democrats, and they then nominate the ones that they both think will win and follow the platform. Joe & Kamala were also involved in developing the platform.

In other words, it's as much about the platform as the people they nominate to represent the party.  That's why I don't vote for a person -- I vote for what the party is attempting to accomplish -- even though I feel a sense of pride that a woman will finally be holding the second highest office in the land.

If Biden became frail no doubt others would step in to assist even more than they do. I've thought too that perhaps Kamala will ascend either due to death or incapacitation of Joe. But you never know, 78 might be the new 58!  :) 

• Like 1

A president can do a lot of damage though via firing the officials who created the platform and hold higher positions in the party, and then filling the positions with his cronies who follow his will.

Hello authoritarianism.

Edited by Luna Bliss
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Luna Bliss said:

A president can do a lot of damage though via firing the officials who created the platform and hold higher positions in the party, and then filling the positions with his cronies who follow his will.

Hello authoritarianism.

I HAVE to remind you the people spoke today, Luna. No one else.

It's over , Luna .. He's gone .. ;)

• Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1250 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.