If you have a high end PC and low performance check this.

GuyJee

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1240 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

On 11/20/2020 at 5:17 PM, Solar Legion said:

Oh for ....

Making sure your GPU is properly being used is not Overclocking - it just isn't. Overclocking is done BIOS side, before your computer even starts thinking about booting your OS.

Clarification, GPU OCing takes place after booting into OS.

2 hours ago, Solar Legion said:

Noted - it is still not something that the Power Management settings can actually do.

MSI Afterburner..  After loaded into windows.  also the card can be flashed although not the recommended route.  And overclocking a card is perfectly safe, the card its self if it fails will drop down into a safe mode and render like crap until you resolve the issue.

Info below is an idea of what ive got going on.  this is while running Firestorm and a few other programs.  I really wish we could ramp up cpu and gpu usage in Firestorm a bit, but understand that alot of it is what it is.

106b1eedb9440ad0008c73bb75f52cd1.png

Im actually overclocked on the CPU also, @ 5ghz, but it never reports that way.  And everything is watercooled.

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-9900K CPU @ 3.60GHz (3599.99 MHz)
Memory: 65468 MB
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 64-bit (Build 19041.630)
Graphics Card Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
Graphics Card: GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER/PCIe/SSE2

• Like 2

12 hours ago, AnonymousMike said:

MSI Afterburner..  After loaded into windows.  also the card can be flashed although not the recommended route.  And overclocking a card is perfectly safe, the card its self if it fails will drop down into a safe mode and render like crap until you resolve the issue.

Info below is an idea of what ive got going on.  this is while running Firestorm and a few other programs.  I really wish we could ramp up cpu and gpu usage in Firestorm a bit, but understand that alot of it is what it is.

106b1eedb9440ad0008c73bb75f52cd1.png

Im actually overclocked on the CPU also, @ 5ghz, but it never reports that way.  And everything is watercooled.

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-9900K CPU @ 3.60GHz (3599.99 MHz)
Memory: 65468 MB
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 64-bit (Build 19041.630)
Graphics Card Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
Graphics Card: GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER/PCIe/SSE2

Flashing a new BIOS onto either a MB or your GPU is a fairly standard practice. Occasionally it will result in a performance boost or be needed to correct for a glitch, as long as you follow the directions it is straightforward exercise.

I think you are referring to flashing an XOC BIOS onto your card, which can't be done on all cards, to remove temp and voltage constraints, then yes you better know what you are doing because with those protections gone you can conceivably burn your house down. LOL

Then there are shunt mods. A bit extreme for SL I  think. LOL

Edited by Derek Torvalar

The only thing I’m really going to add is some pc’s don’t have ultimate or high performance showing by default. How do I know? I checked my settings and I have high performance checked, but there was no ultimate performance. Apparently ultimate won’t show unless you’re using workstation edition.

Here’s how you enable it: https://betanews.com/2019/04/01/windows-10-ultimate-performance-power-plan/

I have never seen it on a PC. I enabled it on one to see what it does. It looks like the big change is it locks the CPU speed at 100% no matter what you're doing. Which seems extremely wasteful. If I used it for SL, I would only use it for SL and switch back to balanced as soon as I logged out. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Derek Torvalar said:

Flashing a new BIOS onto either a MB or your GPU is a fairly standard practice. Occasionally it will result in a performance boost or be needed to correct for a glitch, as long as you follow the directions it is straightforward exercise.

I think you are referring to flashing an XOC BIOS onto your card, which can't be done on all cards, to remove temp and voltage constraints, then yes you better know what you are doing because with those protections gone you can conceivably burn your house down. LOL

Then there are shunt mods. A bit extreme for SL I  think. LOL

Yea, I should have clarified a bit.  I am xoc on this card to 111, it would not pass 100. But it's twin from msi would.  Shunt mods bother me unless you got money to burn and are just looking for numbers lol.  

Somewhere there is a bottleneck happening with sl, I'm leaning on connection speed tweaks more than graphics at this point.

51 minutes ago, AnonymousMike said:

Yea, I should have clarified a bit.  I am xoc on this card to 111, it would not pass 100. But it's twin from msi would.  Shunt mods bother me unless you got money to burn and are just looking for numbers lol.  

Somewhere there is a bottleneck happening with sl, I'm leaning on connection speed tweaks more than graphics at this point.

You hardware is not the issue with SL. SL will not utilize what you got. Though I noticed you have 64GB of RAM but you didn't mention what it is running at. There may be a compatibility issue there if it doesn't match well with your CPU or MB, but I have a feeling you are probably ok there.

Your voltage is locked at max 1.093, if you even get it that high (unless you mean  you are using a KingPin XOC or similar which removes that). You might see it hit 1.08 under intense rendering. Power Limit  will be a function of this as well.

Edited by Derek Torvalar

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1240 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.