What is the average number of alts for a SL user?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1239 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Most people admit to having between 0 and 3, although I know others have a lot more. Many people I know don't have any at all. When you invest time, effort and $$$ into one avatar it can be a disheartening prospect having to build up an entirely new inventory and friends list all over again. 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, PixieGirrrrl said:

Most people admit to having between 0 and 3, although I know others have a lot more. Many people I know don't have any at all. When you invest time, effort and $$$ into one avatar it can be a disheartening prospect having to build up an entirely new inventory and friends list all over again. 

Its even worse when the alt is not meant to replace the former main avatar, but used as an addition. Then money needs to be spent even more, as the main also needs the same nice clothes the alt got. :)

• Like 3

Two that I used to log in - I had more but gradually forgot the passwords and hardly used them. Or like @PixieGirrrrlsaid, I didn't see the point in spending time or money on their appearances and inventories when I could be treating my main :)

They were useful for giving Midnight Mania boards a nudge though ;)

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Resi Pfeffer said:

Its even worse when the alt is not meant to replace the former main avatar, but used as an addition. Then money needs to be spent even more, as the main also needs the same nice clothes the alt got. :)

Well not exactly as my male alt only needs a change annually to keep up with the average S/L man, my gender confused alt changes once a month but takes advantage of freebies and low cost clothing. My main account is a popstar so she is definitely a lot more costly then the other 2 combined by a factor of 10x+. ☺️

• Like 1

I have 5 that are "active", 3 accounts that are registered as bots, 1 account that I primarily use, and 8 accounts in total. No idea how many that are deactivated. More specifically...

I have 5 accounts which I would consider used on regular basis:

• Chaser Zaks - My main account. I don't typically log off on this account.
  • Saltyalt - My bot husbando account. This bot doesn't log off.
  • AutomatedTests - Bot that runs nightly to perform some grid health checks. Stays online for like 10 to 15 minutes before disconnecting.
  • ChaserTester - My account I use specifically for testing issues on the Jira.
  • My "nervous exploration" account that I use to go "test the waters"(so to speak) of a region before I go there with my main. This is because autism and I'm want to read through the rules and what not, figure out what the culture of a region is, etc. Also used to test and unpack suspicious items.

I have 3 account that are dormant/unused(I consider a account unused if I log into said account one or less times per 60 day period):

• Softhyena - My "business" bot account that doesn't do much. Until I stop being lazy and create some stuff, this account is going to stay inactive.
  • My first account - Sentimental value.
  • My second account - Has some old historical stuff on it that I need to copy over.

I have had at quite a few that I have deactivated:

• One I made to test the deactivation for a bug report.
  • One I typo'd the name on, figured I'd just go ahead and delete it to avoid confusion.
  • I had to make several when testing a registration bug.

I should note that when I make a testing account, I specifically follow a naming scheme of "ChaserZaksTestYYYYMMDDII"(II being Iteration) to avoid taking up names people might actually want.

But keep in mind, I am one of the weirdos who does a lot of testing and documentation on SL, so I have more accounts than most people would probably have.

A majority of my friends has about 1 to 4 accounts. Most of SL's population will have only 1 or 2 accounts, if I had to take a guess, probably a good 40% have one account, with 30% having 2, the remaining 30% having 3 or more. Commercial bot operators will have quite a few accounts because of the group limit, or if someone has bought a vanity name bot.

Edited by Chaser Zaks
  • Like 2

I have four alts that I actively use.

1.  Male alt - Sometimes I need a male avatar for a picture and it's so much easier having one I can control myself. He's a pita who is always whining about why I won't buy him a male appendage! 

2.  Child alt - I made this one to help a friend out by blogging for her children's store.  It weirds me out because I find kid avis creepy as all heck!  No offence intended to any child avatar users out there.

3.  Blonde alt - I use her for two person pictures on blog posts.  Again, it's just easier than having to find an available friend and she is fun to play Barbies with (ie shop and play dress up with her.)  

4.  Brunette Alt - She actually has no use at all except to cost me money because despite having no use for her, I still buy her stuff to keep her up to date.  Occasionally I log her in when I am bored to tidy her inventory or play dress ups with her.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, PixieGirrrrl said:

Yeah, mine are just for testing stuff.  I rarely use them.  One is still in the starter avatar with no inventory at all.  The other I gave a cheap Classic wardrobe too.  I don't have any alts that have a "life" so no need for a wardrobe. 

Edited by FairreLilette
  • Like 1

Besides myself, I have Nelya who you've probably seen on here and gets used quite frequently, and another older account which is also premium and only gets logged in when I want to steal his stipend or claim an extra Linden Home. I currently use his land allowance for my mainland.

I had two older alts (one about 3 and one about 8 years ago), but I can't remember their passwords and I'm not interested in getting them back - they'll only demand money off me for mesh body upgrades. They still exist though, and I'm still "friended" with them.  If I did decide to resuscitate them, I'd turn them both into girls. I think I'm done with male avatars. They're too darn expensive.

Edited by Maitimo
  • Like 2

My alts was Premium so I could have more land. I prefer to do business with Linden Lab and not go via a Landlord....

I had 5 alts plus me and paid Premium for all, we had a group for land. I had a change in RL income and took them off Premium. When I needed them for land again, I thought: "This old alt does not get a 1000 L bonus. Why waste the gift bonus because I can make a new avatar and sign it up for Premium?" So I made a few more. Not saying it more specific.

I have not saved money on them because I can't let them stay in the Noob look. I just can't, I am itching all over to change it. So the 1000 L goes back in the form of shopping, plus more.

As Premium becomes more expensive, I am letting them revert back to Basic since I have found a cheap rental. I am still keeping them.

• Like 2

I don't think you can set an average really.  Some have many and some have none.  I do think everyone should have at least one just for purposes of checking if some issue is just their main avatar or if it happens to both.  I've seen some people say they can log in with one but not the other.  I've also had to use one to 'nudge' my main offline after a hard crash.  I only use one though.  It's too costly to outfit multiple avatars unless you use them for specific RP which I know some people do.

• Like 2

Depends on what you consider to be an "alt". I'd distinquish between "alt" and "unused accounts"  

I have like 3 active accounts right now; my 2005 trial account, Han Held, and the girl I made to transistion to but gave up and just went back to using Han. 

I counted my unused accounts sometime in 2011 and figured that I had created 25 or 30; it's probably closer to 40 now.

Because you just never know.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RowanMinx said:

I don't think you can set an average really.  Some have many and some have none.  I do think everyone should have at least one just for purposes of checking if some issue is just their main avatar or if it happens to both.  I've seen some people say they can log in with one but not the other.  I've also had to use one to 'nudge' my main offline after a hard crash.  I only use one though.  It's too costly to outfit multiple avatars unless you use them for specific RP which I know some people do.

And some people lie when asked if they have alts and how many. I agree that one alt is very handy. If you are unsecure if your security is set up right... log in the alt and let him/her see if it works. Hold a group with the alt. Super important if you have a group for roleplay or other things and you leave the group by a mistake. If you have an alt with management rights in the group, he/she invites you in again. Or you have just a friend in a group so you are two, all sort of things can happen. Your friend quit SL... stops logging in... goes missing. You have control when you have yourself and the alt in the group. Plus testing poses and other things.

• Like 3

I have made 3 or 4 alts, but have forgotten the log in information for all but one. They were all made for pictures. I log onto the one I remember now and then, but he has no money so it isn't as much fun.

• Like 2

I have 17 accounts, counting this one.  Lil is the primary account and gets 99% of the inworld time. 

I have 3 other Premium accounts in order to have Linden Homes and donate tier to the land group for my Mainland spot.  Six of the remaining accounts have been Premium in the past, either to hold additional Linden Homes or to donate tier to the land group when my Mainland parcel was larger.  All of the rest of the accounts were created for different testing purposes.

I have not invested much money at all into any of my other accounts, except for one - and that is only because she was actually the original main and is now the business alt. All of the rest are either using freebie mesh avatars or one of the default LL avatars.

• Like 3

I thought I had heard LL will be closing accounts that have no activity in a year's time.  I'm not 100% sure about this, but my alts don't have much inventory or none at all, I don't even care if one closes or not.  I just use them for testing 1, 2 ,3....

Anyhow, if the above is correct and you want to keep all your alts, I think you need to log them all in at least once a year. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1239 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.