Deploy Plan for the week of 2020-11-02 [Updated 2020-11-03 08:54SLT]

Maestro Linden

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1266 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Lindens

Update at 2020-11-03 08:54 SLT

Clarified that the uplifted simulator update is essentially the RC update for this week.  The update has also been rescheduled to be split between Wednesday and Thursday mornings.

Second Life Server

No roll to the Second Life Server channel this week.

Second Life RC / Uplifted Simulators

The RC/uplifted simulator channel will be updated this week, with some bugfixes and more internal changes.

https://releasenotes.secondlife.com/simulator/2020-11-04.551666.html

Scheduled Wednesday 2020-11-04 07:00-10:30 PST, Thursday 2020-11-05 07:00-10:30 PST

On Region Restarts

We are currently in the process of uplifting the Grid Poking Bot that handles automatic restarts for regions with high uptime, so you may not see them this week.

Edited by Maestro Linden
Added release notes link.
  • Thanks 9

@Maestro LindenI assume since the uplift planned for Tuesday does not involve new code it is not covered by the scope of this thread?  Just that seeing the announcement on the GSP for the Tuesday operation and yet no mention made of it here is a bit vague and confusing.

I see elsewhere in this forum a degree of concern raised by some residents regarding the amount of warning (ie lack of it) before regions are uplifted.  Perhaps a little more warning could be given to those affected?

As an aside I must say that those uplifted regions which I have vistred in the past few days do appear to be running very well now.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Aishagain said:

I see elsewhere in this forum a degree of concern raised by some residents regarding the amount of warning (ie lack of it) before regions are uplifted.  Perhaps a little more warning could be given to those affected?

As we've explained elsewhere, we are very much in the thick of uplift and things are moving unusually quickly. For the next few weeks, I'm afraid that we will usually not be able to provide as much advance warning of rolls as we'd like. We regret any inconvenience this causes, but it's all in service of getting you service that performs better.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 6

• Lindens
14 hours ago, Aishagain said:

@Maestro LindenI assume since the uplift planned for Tuesday does not involve new code it is not covered by the scope of this thread?  Just that seeing the announcement on the GSP for the Tuesday operation and yet no mention made of it here is a bit vague and confusing.

arabella is correct - the sim rolls originally penned in for this morning have been cancelled.  Instead, we expect to update the uplifted regions to a new build tomorrow morning.

• Thanks 1

• Maestro Linden changed the title to Deploy Plan for the week of 2020-11-02 [Updated 2020-11-03 08:54SLT]

I had high hopes for at least some of the region performance issues to be addressed by uplifting regions to Amazon's servers and away from the old legacy servers. Unfortunately there appears to be absolutely NO difference at all from what I can see. With Moore's law, how can you possibly move to this new environment and not see an improvement?

So in the grand scheme of things, where is resolving region performance issues? Are we doing the Ostrich move here and pretending it's not a problem that a social platform doesn't actually handle people having social events? We can't get more than about 20 people together in one region without serious issues and group chat is pretty much borked all the time now with everyone that uses group chat essentially being forced to move to Discord in order to actually have conversations.

Does LL actually have a plan to address the elephant in the room? I recall one of the more active forum members had performed testing that showed even idle scripts were taking an unreasonably large amount of CPU - did that fell on deaf ears or.....?  Handling scripts efficiently is critical - the current state prevents us from being able to develop interesting experiences that can bring more people to SL and keep the people here coming back.

19 hours ago, Aishagain said:

We're looking into providing more time between when a restart is scheduled and when the region actually goes down (it will ordinarily be quicker if everyone leaves), and will make an effort to announce things as far in advance as we can. Once uplift is complete we expect to return to our traditional schedule (or perhaps something even friendlier, but that's another subject...)

• Thanks 7

On 11/3/2020 at 8:55 AM, Oz Linden said:

we are very much in the thick of uplift and things are moving unusually quickly.

THIS! 

Thank you very much for that candor, it makes me feel better and imbues me with renewed patience.  We are "getting it on," so yeah, keep up the push.   

I came here just now out of concerns at the continuing issues in performance, but you just explained it all.  

~Cheers!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1266 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.