Do you want "Double-Click to Teleport" on by default?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4405 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Lindens

I advocate for smarter SL Viewer defaults, and as shown in this video and explained with text instructions here, there's a "Double-Click to Teleport" feature you may find to be a great time-saver:

Do you want this on by default? (No guarantee it will be, but at least I'll have your REAL opinion to show if/when I need to back this up.)

On "by default"? Personally **I** would love that, but after spending a futile hour last night explaining to someone how to simply unpack a box I have to say I think it would be a bad idea to have on by default.

It will cause a lot of confusion.

What would be AWESOME, though, is to have the option presented to the user some place obvious and up-front.

TBH I didn't even know that this was a feature that was included in the regular viewer -it's the reason I switched to using the singularity viewer in fact...

I tried this and was successful at first and its a great feature.   But it seems to be sim dependant.  There are places where I get a Teleport failed  Could not teleport closer to destination.   I can use AutoPilot to move to a location in those sims but the instant teleport does not work.

So unless this works consistantly from sim to sim, I would question it as a default viewer behavior.

--Cinn

I use it quite a bit, and consider it a standard 'power user' feature, but think it would be a bad idea to make it the default behavior for all residents.  Second Life can be a little disorienting, and take some getting used to all by itself, without the added confusion of teleport-hopping every time a new resident clicked twice on the screen (that is, in the areas that permitted it).

I love this feature.. its one I use often, but also turn it off often.

I have 2 different jobs in SL, both of which require me to be on a poser or animator.. I have logged into work, used the double-click to TP feature to get me exactly where I need to be after teleporting in to the location, and forgotten that feature was enabled... TP'd my pixel butt clear across the room unintentionally (on several occasions). :)

Having the option to turn it on and off easier (like perhaps on the bottom menu bar - near the FLY button) would make it so much better.

Wiki

That was definetly the #1 on my wishlist for viewer2 after I used it the first time with Emerald. I had already given up hope that it would ever become a part of the viewer and filled it away under "Things's I would like to have but the Lindens won't ever give to me" like the megaprims. I love to stand corrected. Yes, I would definetly recommend to turn this feature on by default.

While I use the DCT feature I would suggest not having it on by default.  It is still very easy  to accidentally DC on something and have found myself suddenly not where I wanted to be.

The way a new person may be clicking around trying to figure things out they could find themselves jumping all over the place or in some interesting situations.

Stripper:  "Hey get off my dance pole"

Noobie:  "It was an accident....I don't know how I got up here with you."

Cinnamon Lohner wrote:

I tried this and was successful at first and its a great feature.   But it seems to be sim dependant.  There are places where I get a Teleport failed  Could not teleport closer to destination.   I can use AutoPilot to move to a location in those sims but the instant teleport does not work.

So unless this works consistantly from sim to sim, I would question it as a default viewer behavior.

--Cinn

Agree, very accurate observation.

And more: if you double clik in a menu of a web-on-a-prim (using shared media) the result is shocking, and you need disable the "double click for teleport" for browse the web.

In any case, a great development.

I personally love doubleclick teleport and I use it all the time (my viewer of choice is Kirstens, and it was a favourite feature of mine back in Emerald days too).

However I think the FIRST time it's used, there should be a confirmation dialog "Do you want to teleport to this location Y/N?" Then at least a new user will be aware what will happen if he goes around frantically clicking all over the screen.

After the first use I guess the dialog could be dropped, as they (should) remember what will happen.

No.

I don't like double-click teleport, especially since it actually goes through the whole teleport thing... so if you're in a teleport-restricted parcel or one with a landing point you end up somewhere else. Physical fake-teleport tricks using llMoveToTarget work so much better. Anyone want a script for that, let me know in-world.

I like double-click navigation and wish SL would let you set waypoints the way EQ did, so you can set up a path and let your avatar do the walking.

I use Phoenix, and the double click to teleport feature is really useful, but I don't have it on all the time, so it should be a feature of V2, but NOT on by default.

Your videos are always awesome, Torley. I really think my SL would have been missing a lot of the good stuff if I hadn't had your vidtuts to watch and learn from.

I live on this feature... it often works even when you can't move normally because the region physics has come to a grinding halt.

that said I do share some of the same concerns as others, namely in two places...

1. it doesn't work within regions/parcels with forced telehubs... this may violate principal of least surprise. I don't end up in a lot of newbie areas any more, so I don't know how common this setting is there. 
  2. I've more than once accidentally triggered this through pie menus, and although it should be harder with the higher precision required by V2 menus, it's still possible, especially when building. some users are also trained to double click certain things, so there may be a violation of principle there. there are also inworld objects that have scripted double click behavior, and in fact, I posted an example of such in the LSL Library on the forums.
  3. the current default for basic mode is double click to walk, making it double click to teleport in advanced would definitely violate principle of least surprise

there are mitigating factors though.

1. it's an easily accessed setting, so putting it as a default doesn't make it permanent
  2. while the standard "could not teleport closer to destination" is not helpful for parcels/regions with forced TP routing, a "this region parcel may have restricted teleports to telehubs" message tacked on, or better, to use the friend teleport code to ignore the restriction would negate that concern
  3. if menus or items with click behavior did NOT engage this code, then that concern would largely be negated as well
  4. it's a very obviously connected action, so retraining and understanding of what is happening should be quick

My current position if 51% against making it a default, subject to suggested changes

Thanks Torley for making this video this is a feature I was missing since I tried out the Basic Viewer. I happy I know where to find it now. I say NO DON'T MAKE IT THE DEFAULT!!!! This is so awesome I don't know if I want to share it with everybody. You already told too many people by posting this. LOL ;)

Cinnamon Lohner wrote:

I tried this and was successful at first and its a great feature.   But it seems to be sim dependant.

--Cinn

Anywhere with a landing point set as required.

I'd say the number of people who keep a feature like this on once they discover is is greater than the number who turn it off once they discover it - which advocates for it being on by default. But that's just a guess.

The downside is that it reduces the 'in a world' experience - but so does flight and teleport in general, so that's not a significant concern.

The potential inconvenience of having to enable it (once you know about the feature) is nowhere near as important as the potential problems and frustration it can cause if it's on by default, especially if you don't know about it. Needs to be filed straight into the "first hour experience" and "user retention" safeguards catagories.

• Lindens

Thank you for your replies from experience! And the kind words, I love sharing. :)

I was in particular thinking about how newer Residents who start in Basic mode are already be accustomed to Double-click to Auto-pilot, as Opensource mentions. And in that way, it'd make sense to keep in on by default as they "graduate" from Basic to Advanced mode. Those of us who grew up on what's now Advanced mode at least know what our options are.

@Cinnamon Aside from being able to teleport fairly far as shown in my video, I haven't run into that message yet, so I'll need to test further. Both of these usability issues should be fixed — silent and puzzling failures aren't helpful.

It's about time the SL viewer caught up with this method. I don't think it is so important if it is on or off by default as long as people learn that it is there and how to use it. What I would like to see is an option on the top menu bar that allows you to quickly switch between the teleport and auto-pilot option.

I typically leave it on teleport since that is the more versatile method. It helps me get out of spaces I get stuck in, it keeps me from getting motion sick since I don't have to walk up those nauseating circular stairs, it gets me quickly to the next floor up without having to search for the "normal" way. But I frequently prefer to use auto-pilot, for example when walking around a store or otherwise moving short distances.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4405 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.