Pics with Our Experiences with Others in SL

Bagnu

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1267 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

11 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

I don't know if that is always the motive...to make someone miserable. 

I sometimes think it's done to get a thread locked 

Those two sentences describe the same idea; to ruin someone's day. Both are malicious -or, at best, innappropriate (unless your last name is "Linden", you are not the forum police; so report it to the lindens and move on)

What I described was trolling, what you described is a specific form of trolling. I'm sure there's a difference; but I don't feel like it's an important one.

9 minutes ago, RowanMinx said:

And off we go with the innuendo as predicted.  

And out of no-where ...the fun police!

[EDIT]

Edited 4 minutes ago by RowanMinx
Because we all knew where this would lead and it did. No need to explain

Thanks in no small part to people leaping in to play "fun police" instead of using more appropriate (ignoring threads, silently reporting threads) options!

[/EDIT]

Edited by Han Held
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Jordan Whitt said:

Yes we know you like to do that.  You post them in the "What does your avi look like today" threads and then carry on "suggestive" conversations with the people in them...cos heaven knows we need constant reminding that it's all about the sexytimes for you.  

RDJ.gif

You win!

1 hour ago, Han Held said:

I'm prone to "stream of conciousness" posting, and since I'm experiencing a blood sugar crash irl (having lunch while I type this) this post will probably be worse than usual; you've been warned! :)

Truman capote once said something about "if you don't want your stories talked about, don't share them with a writer"; I kinda feel the idea's the same here, at least to me. If you don't want your photo posted, don't chill with a photagrpher. 

I also feel like intent and use are huge considerations as well. Bagnu's a friend of mine, so I don't esp mind; particularly since I was in *her house* to begin with!  (also, I could hear the snapshots being taken, so it wasn't secret).

I'd be a lot more upset if I was in my own place and people were using the camera to take snapshots of me and posting them online. That is a serious breach of privacy.

If someone posts a snap of me while I'm visitinig? I'm flattered. If someone posts a snap of me out in public ...that's part of being out in public.

The only thing that I think I would mind would be if there was some sort of commercialization. ("Han Held endorses builders bakery! see? she's sitting right there in our class!"). That's an interesting question, tbh; and I'm not sure how I'd handle that. 

So, basically it's the public/private thing. It doesn't particularly upset me for a few different reasons (being a forum loud mouth, exhibitor and an event organizer makes me a public figure, being photographed and posted is a part of that). 

I can see how different people would have a different attitude, and if someone does object then the right thing to do would be to take the photos down. 

But there's a lot of subtleties to the issue and honestly, I take snaps of friends and post them too -usually sending them the link directly afterward.

It's part of virtual worlds, and IMO it's fine.

Well, here's trouble. VVO getting too tame? Does Cris know you've escaped?

Always nice to see you on your visits here, Han.

I don't disagree, really, with much of what you say here. It's all about context, right? Again, if I go to a party or a club, I'm in public, and I accept that I may be photographed. The old FC Flickr thread(s) feature more than a few "candid" pics of me at the Hangout that I'm actually grateful for, because I've misplaced a lot of my older pics of my avi.

But I do think it is courteous ask permission before posting a pic of someone in a less public context. That's all -- it's just about being nice.

• Like 4

It has just occurred to me (maybe I'm wrong?) that what we're sort of seeing here is an index of how much the forum culture has changed over the years.

In the "bad old days," when men were men and sheep were nervous, I think there was a lot more of the bantering interpersonal chitchat that we're seeing here, and that people have complained about elsewhere, than we see here now. Threads in those days featured open flirtation, bickering of the most personal kind, accusations of betrayal, etc., etc. And they were more "bantering." Actually, VVO still has elements of that old style of forum posting, which is probably not surprising.

I like banter, a lot, but it feels out of place here now, maybe? But if I'm right, it's not really about what is "right" or "wrong" -- it's just about different styles, and what the community here is willing to accept?

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

It has just occurred to me (maybe I'm wrong?) that what we're sort of seeing here is an index of how much the forum culture has changed over the years.

In the "bad old days," when men were men and sheep were nervous, I think there was a lot more of the bantering interpersonal chitchat that we're seeing here, and that people have complained about elsewhere, than we see here now. Threads in those days featured open flirtation, bickering of the most personal kind, accusations of betrayal, etc., etc. And they were more "bantering." Actually, VVO still has elements of that old style of forum posting, which is probably not surprising.

I like banter, a lot, but it feels out of place here now, maybe? But if I'm right, it's not really about what is "right" or "wrong" -- it's just about different styles, and what the community here is willing to accept?

That's the sense I'm getting; but I'm not sure how much of my perception is due to personal bias (I have plenty). I have to admit that while I look around some of the sub-forums here, I don't really know this forum (as a whole) all that well. I'm basing my impressions on the exchanges I've seen and being a part of in General Discussion. 

I noticed that about banter in the photography threads, but I didn't make a connection between that and the larger forum culture. It's a dynamic I'm going to watch for. 

I always enjoy seeing you at vv1 too 💖 and getting a chance to share posts with you is one of the things I enjoy about my visits here. :)

• Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1267 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.