Draw distance > 1024m

Furholio

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1261 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 hour ago, Lindal Kidd said:

And you want to see to infinity?Β  That would introduce much more unrealistic distortion (if I can call it that; it's really non-distortion), that would be very disorienting, I should think.

Β 

allofslview.thumb.jpg.f6c540774c9ebdd30de3d9b31ba95b2e.jpg

This is far enough. Beyond that, water.

• Like 1

The issue described here is not a problem of draw distance in general. Ever since Deferred Rendering was introduced long ago, this has been an "issue". In Deferred Rendering (and nowadays also in non-Deferred) the water line cuts off prematurely, we used to be able to see the entirety of the void water plane. I think i remember someone saying this is a limitation due to how deferred was implemented and how the far clipping works in Deferred Rendering. I'm unsure whether this is simply an issue or an actual limitation and i'm even more unsure whether this can or will ever be fixed since it has been around for.... since ~2010. I guess i could take a look and stab a few numbers, see if its that easy but i suspect it might break things more than they already do just like changing the near clip plane does have a huge impact on the accuracy of faces close to each other (you can see faces very close to each other flicker in the distance on Black Dragon a lot more than in other Viewers because BD has a smaller near clip plane which allows zooming closer before geometry is cut).

Also your draw distance does have an effect beyond 1024, you can see this when 1024 is barely in the next region, setting it higher will render the rest of the region as well but while draw distance is technically infinite the far clip plane is not as you can see, also i'm pretty sure the servers limit the amount of regions you can be connected to at any given time, this might however be a thing in the Viewer actually but it can be toyed with by unloading regions not in your camera view (the viewer connects and loads regions around and behind you even if you dont see them).

Edited by NiranV Dean
  • Like 1

On 10/30/2020 at 11:28 AM, Furholio said:

I made a hughe mountainscape surround for my sim that extends 1024m and I'd like to enjoy it

If its 1024M around then you'd only need 512 draw distance for it to be visible all around when standing in the center of your sim. 768 for it to be visible regardless of where you're located.

Edited by Ultimo Constantineau

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1261 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.