Draw distance > 1024m

Furholio

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1270 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

28 minutes ago, Furholio said:

Hello,

is there a (3rd party?) viewer available that allows a draw distance > 1024m? I know in Firestorm I can set it > 1024m by chat command, but it has no effect ...

Many thanks!

Should see more objects rezz at a further distance but at the same time your FPS drop dramatically depending on how much content is in those regions.

3 minutes ago, Furholio said:

I'd like to enjoy it

You'd be the only one.

Whenever I make something in SL, I always ask myself the following questions:

1. Do I want others to enjoy it too? And if so:

2. Does it look not too crappy in default settings, low graphics and Windlight set to '12 PM'?

And, well, for larger outdoor items, I admit, I ask myself this as well:

3. Can I still see what it is from 1024 m away?

But requiring all your visitors to download and install an extraspecial third party viewer in order for them to see your creations, that's a few bridges too far.

Edited by Arduenn Schwartzman
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lyssa Greymoon said:

Try the renderfarclip debug setting.

I did. Set it at 4096. Flying upward to about 2000 mtrs altitude and the ground level starts fading away out of viewing range.

tddnew_027_002.thumb.jpg.9cbf33548edec0d148c4d863119e500e.jpg

Spacestation at 2000 metres and ground level underneath.

19 minutes ago, Furholio said:

I made a hughe mountainscape surround for my sim that extends 1024m and I'd like to enjoy it

If it's a sim surround, you should be able to see it perfectly fine at 1024 draw distance.  I've used them and since you can only extent YOUR item out to a certain distance, there is not reason to have to see any further.  What happens is, poorly made items don't rez well at a distance.  It wouldn't matter how far you could see if the item is low quality.

In Advance if you go to Debug settings if you pull that up and type in RenderFarClip you can very easily set draw distance to whatever you want it to be. Be warned I wouldn't do this on mainland and even back in the day I wouldn't and now days I would caution doing it even on a normal sim depending on how many mesh builds are on it. Gone are the days where you would render a full on sim all at once with 3k in draw distance on only a 500 megabyte video card. lol :D

Edited by Velk Kerang
Corrections.

41 minutes ago, RowanMinx said:

If it's a sim surround, you should be able to see it perfectly fine at 1024 draw distance.  I've used them and since you can only extent YOUR item out to a certain distance, there is not reason to have to see any further.  What happens is, poorly made items don't rez well at a distance.  It wouldn't matter how far you could see if the item is low quality.

depends on the sim-surround. Maybe most are based on a 1024m megaprim and there the 1024m dd is enough. The one I made is ~ twice that size ... 

5 hours ago, Furholio said:

Hello,

is there a (3rd party?) viewer available that allows a draw distance > 1024m? I know in Firestorm I can set it > 1024m by chat command, but it has no effect ...

Many thanks!

many people get lag when their viewer loads a 1024 sqm parcel ... imagine 16 regions

Edited by Alwin Alcott

3 hours ago, Furholio said:

The one I made

Ahhh someone after my own heart -- the beauty of terrain at a distance, the shape of the land. I've created small continents and the design apparent in the view from afar is as important as the view up close. I can see this is your own precious art project for yourself, so don't let anyone deter you from what inspires you and is beyond their comprehension.

Most things I create with others in mind to sell, and so optimize for others. But sometimes I create something for myself only, just for the art of it. There are many such experimenters in SL.

I know that setting is somewhere, or used to be, as I've been able to see at great distances in SL. 
The long-distance view is considered and optimized in some other games I've played, but unfortunately we have so many limitations here. Hopefully you have an extraordinary computer if that's what you want to play with here.

• Like 3

I'd like to have the viewer show, at least, bare terrain out to the horizon. Like Google Earth does, with less resolution for distant objects.

Like my slippy map of SL. That looks like the regular map of SL. Now right click and move the mouse.

SL should look something like that to flyers. The nearer regions should have elevation,  so that when you're sailing you can see distant land.

Heterocera and Sansara have great mountain ranges. Few have ever seen them in their full glory. SL has the best big world around, but it doesn't *look* big.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, animats said:

I'd like to have the viewer show, at least, bare terrain out to the horizon. Like Google Earth does, with less resolution for distant objects.

Yes. That would be a big improvement.

Very high draw distances might be useful for photography sometimes, and frame rate wouldn't be important.

Edited by Jennifer Boyle
typo
  • Like 1

I don't know if this is still true...

But a quirk in SL 'back in the day' was that every avatar in your camera range got a report from you and had to send one back to you about what you were each downloading...

The result being that a way to 'subtlety grief' people is to ramp up your draw distance so they're stuck downloading all kinds of stuff...

Is this still true or was it slightly different from that in how it worked? I've seen it often stated for a reason why it's bad to have too high of a draw distance.

19 hours ago, animats said:

Like my slippy map of SL. That looks like the regular map of SL. Now right click and move the mouse.

SL should look something like that to flyers. The nearer regions should have elevation,  so that when you're sailing you can see distant land.

Heterocera and Sansara have great mountain ranges. Few have ever seen them in their full glory. SL has the best big world around, but it doesn't *look* big.

...does a double take.

Say what?  SL is flat.  There IS no horizon.

1 hour ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Say what?  SL is flat.  There IS no horizon.

There's a horizon line, where water meets sky, but it's infinitely far away.

World as an island is common in games.  A very few virtual world systems have a spherical world. Mostly ones which support space travel.

1 hour ago, animats said:

There's a horizon line, where water meets sky, but it's infinitely far away.

And you want to see to infinity?  That would introduce much more unrealistic distortion (if I can call it that; it's really non-distortion), that would be very disorienting, I should think.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1270 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.