Getting tired off it ...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1257 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

The last month and an half, I got kicked out or crashed out of Second Life the moment I land after a teleport with a nasty result that all huds or items that require a hud for emotions, dances, bodies, hair and what not are broken with no option to restore them or repair them leaving them with only option of redeliver the items that have been touched with this bug or whatever that is. It wouldn't be such an issue, but as creater of body shapes that means that I have stored at least 370 outfits that now have to be updated from huds and/or items that have been broken.

Thx in advance Linden Labs. It's about time to fix it, or at least come with a solution to prevent this bug.

10 minutes ago, Dorientje Woller said:

Ah, please, stop doing what developers are specialized in lately: Blaming the user instead of themselves. Such an easy excuse. 

you could of course actuall dó share your settings from the viewer (help about) and not start being nasty while you give no info at all what could be the cause.
Next time perhaps be aware you ask other residents for help, not support or any other affiliated help section with LL employees.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Alwin Alcott said:

you could of course actuall dó share your settings from the viewer (help about) and not start being nasty while you give no info at all what could be the cause.
Next time perhaps be aware you ask other residents for help, not support or any other affiliated help section with LL employees.

I know right,  I'm here to help,  13 years experience with SL,  I've got my own web hosting business and that includes a store front for computer repairs, I must not know anything...   I believe I'm going to take a break on the forums for a bit.   users...

1. It is Lab - singular, not Labs - plural
  2. Your issue is one that does not crop up very often for the majority of Users
  3. This is a User Forum - not the Help Desk, stow the snark
  4. Some TPVs allow you to bulk update Outfit folder entries - look into them and use one, it will mitigate individually updating your outfits once you have replacement items
  • Like 4
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Dorientje Woller said:

Ah, please, stop doing what developers are specialized in lately: Blaming the user instead of themselves. Such an easy excuse. 

I asked you for a bit of information,  some of us users know the system as well as LL does and sometimes we have more answers because we are here constantly and logged in world constantly.   after 13 years,  I know quite a few things.    but you've done helped me make up my mind,  I'm done helping.

54 minutes ago, Dorientje Woller said:

Crash report has been sent to those who concern it the most: Linden Labs.

Good luck with that. In the meantime, though, you may be able to decrease your pain...

14 hours ago, Dorientje Woller said:

...a nasty result that all huds or items that require a hud for emotions, dances, bodies, hair and what not are broken with no option to restore them or repair them leaving them with only option of redeliver the items that have been touched with this bug or whatever that is. It wouldn't be such an issue, but as creater of body shapes that means that I have stored at least 370 outfits that now have to be updated from huds and/or items that have been broken.

You know about the Inventory operation "Replace Links", right? This is still a bother, but it sure beats updating outfits by hand. (I first used this feature in Third Party Viewers but I now see it's in the Linden viewer, too.)

Also, you know that attachments with Modify permission can be restored in place, by recompiling all the scripts and setting them running again. You do this from the "Build" menu with the item selected.

If, on the other hand, you have no-Mod attachments, please first send a message to their creators telling them to step up their games; there's almost never an excuse to distribute no-mod anything, least of all HUDs.

Then you might consider reducing the number of these attachments worn regularly. I try not to wear any HUDs that I'm not using at the moment, and making access easy for the ones I use frequently by populating them into the "folder" option of Catznip's "Quick Preferences" control. (Firestorm has something kinda similar in what I think they call "favorite wearables" or something like that, although I've never gotten it to work as well as the Catznip feature... and there's nothing comparable in the Linden viewer, unfortunately.) One benefit of reducing the number of scripted attachments is that it improves the speed and reliability of teleports -- something that may be of interest in the context of this thread.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Profaitchikenz Haiku said:

I'd be very interested to see some metrics demonstrating this.

he's speaking of the hand off to the next host the sim is located on.   if that sim is bogged, which it can happen, and say you come to the next sim on that next host and you have 1000mb of script memory used. do ya realize how bad it's going to be for ever one on that sim, that's what I think people misunderstand, 5mb of less in memory useage to stop the stop hand off choke we see.

20 hours ago, bigmoe Whitfield said:

if that sim is bogged, which it can happen, and say you come to the next sim on that next host and you have 1000mb of script memory used. do ya realize how bad it's going to be for ever one on that sim

Yes, I am aware of the issue, my point is that we've moved on from the bad old days of an incoming mono-user slogging the region to a half for up to 60 seconds. A few weeks ago I arranged an experiment with a couple of friends to TP in and out of somewhere with and without heavy-scripted attachments. The timings for the person initiating the TP, arriving, and the region receiving them seeing their presence didn't alter. If there is a delay caused by the region having to accept a large number of incoming scripts it's of the order of milliseconds, not seconds.

The other problem that I have seen more of lately is an inability to TP out of a region that has a scripts run % figure of under 30%, and this has been growing over the last year. Again, experimenting with one such region showed that the TP-fails or crash to desktop were not changed when taking off all scripted attachments. Therefore, the underlying problem in such regions isn't the amount of scripts it has to handle, it's something else that is causing it to have to delay processing all the waiting scripts.

I think the OP is right in raising their voice, this is a growing problem, but it's being ignored for a variety of reasons, perhaps in the hope that the switch to AWS will solve it. If people don't voice their unhappiness, nothing's going to get done, my experiences at the server user group meetings lead me to the conclusion that creators get priority for new things over users wanting improvements to existing things.

• Like 2

Based on what I am seeing with regions that have been uplifted, there is no measurable performance benefit for sims with lots of avatar activity / scripts. I had high hopes that going to a modern infrastructure would result in better performance (much like you would expect going from an old i5 CPU laptop with integrated graphics to a modern i7 desktop with a nvidia 2080TI.) Maybe the networking will be better allowing TPs to fail less often once the uplifting is complete, but if region performance is a significant factor in TP reliability it's not looking good.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/3/2020 at 12:34 PM, Sharie Criss said:

Based on what I am seeing with regions that have been uplifted, there is no measurable performance benefit for sims with lots of avatar activity / scripts. I had high hopes that going to a modern infrastructure would result in better performance (much like you would expect going from an old i5 CPU laptop with integrated graphics to a modern i7 desktop with a nvidia 2080TI.) Maybe the networking will be better allowing TPs to fail less often once the uplifting is complete, but if region performance is a significant factor in TP reliability it's not looking good.

I think right now, uplift is to just get them there and running and then they will start knocking out performance issues and such, right now, it's take the current vm's on the physical machines, make a few code changes and toss them to aws fire them up, rinse and repeat.    since half the grid is there right now,  I suspect once they get the rest, thing will become better and there are some improvments already coming down the pipe line even when uplift is happening (just read it)

On 10/30/2020 at 3:32 AM, Dorientje Woller said:

Especially since problems like that, where sim-side state is messed up, are entirely server-side.

• Thanks 1

Two days ago, I crashed during a TP home.  Since then, ALL of my HUDS are broken.  My Maitreya body HUD, my LAQ HUD, my dance HUD.  Nothing I have tried has fixed this.  I have worked with FS chat, and worked through ALL of their suggestions.  I got redeliveries of all the HUDS.  I logged into SL's own viewer - same issue.  This has been two full days, and a night working on this.  NO CHANGE.  I EVEN decided to try a system restore on my brand new PC, what the hell, Ill try it.  But in trying to do a restore, i got an error message, soooo I EVEN did a FACTORY reset on this brand new expensive gamer PC.  NO CHANGE.  I have been asking LL for help for two days now.  I have missing body pieces, and i cant alpha out anything either.  I can ONLY wear the exact outfit I was wearing when I crashed, because I have all the right alphas for that outfit.  I NEED HELP.  I spend an awful lot of Lindens in SL.  Mostly supporting live music.  I spend a lot of lindens for clothes - my second addiction.  I NEED HELP.

• Like 1

I wish I had an answer, I reported this bug YEARS ago, but it's not something that's easy to re-create. I've tried and have not been able to recreate it either. The absolute biggest problem is that these creators make all this stuff no-mod for no good reason basically screwing over their users - no-mod means no resetting scripts, not being able to set scripts running when they all go non-responsive... The ONLY option is to replace the broken items either unpacking your purchase again, getting a re-delivery, contacting the creator for replacement if no-copy.

For copy items, after you unpack the originals, make a working copy that you use to leave the original pristine and working.

Lastly, this is a server side problem - nothing you do as a user will have any impact on this bug. It has nothing to do with your viewer or your computer.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1257 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.