How to determine land is 'lag free'

Jenzels

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4690 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi all,

Just been browsing at some land...and notice in description of some as 'low lag' or 'lag free'.  Is this just a ploy added by agents to talk up their land?  Is there a way to determine what 'low lag' land is? 

Yes. Do shift control 1 (hold all three keys down at once for a brief moment). That will display some lag stats. First, look at time dialation. Ideally, it should be 1.00 as in no time dialation. Readings around 0.98 to 0.99 are pretty good though. Then look at the number of objects and scripts in the sim. I like to see the number of scripts under 4,000 and less than 9,000 objects. I would probably pass on a parcel in a region with more than 4,000 scripts running.

Edit: here are the current stats for the region where my parcel is located:

stats.png

With estate sims I believe it's a matter of the land owner writing up a rather strict covenant disallowing many lag inducing items.  Also, renting out a small number of large parcels with "commons" buffers in between where nearly no scripted items exist.  This way the full available prim count can be used while maintaining a cap on dynamic content. (^_^)

For mainland, it would have to be someone who owns the whole sim so that they can manage/control builds as much as possible. (^_^)

This is actually a claim I make about my own sim as a matter of pride.  I don't formally advertise my rentals all that much and I don't use "low lag" as a term in any searchable context.  But, in discussion, I say with pride that I manage it well enough to prevent most any kind of lag.  Also, that I have filled it with 3 sims worth of content while maintaining an overhead of 4000 free prims. (^_^)

I'm silly that way. (^_^)y

"Low lag" is kind of a ploy, but why not since there is many laggy sims?

"Lag free" technically is a lie :matte-motes-nerdy:... as soon as any avatar teleports in there is lag.

Therefore does lag-free really exist?

It is kind of like if a tree falls in a forest, and noone is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

A sim could only be "lag free" if it has zero prims placed, no avatars there, and is for some reason running as a stand alone (when there is usually 4 to 8 sims per machine). If anything or anyone is on any of them, there will be lag.

Lag free? :matte-motes-zipped:

I agree, it is indication of a strict set of rules meaning you won`t actually be able to do anything on your land or its just advertising spin.

Either way the idea is that you pay your money and when you complain about the lag they say well it wasn`t here before you arrived so it must be you. lol :D

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4690 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.