Buying limits versus spending? Newbie confusion ...

Katherine Heartsong

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1274 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Okay, as a new player (sort of, whole other story) I get the rationale behind the 24 hour and 30 day limits on buying Lindens. I think it's odd it applies to people who have bought Premium memberships as well, but it's LL's world and their rules, so I'm okay with that (and both old enough and (somewhat) patient enough to know that's how the world works). My question is this ...

Can my in-game partner give me Lindens that I can spend? Is there a spending limit daily/monthly or is it only  a buying limit?

Alternatively, and probably wayyyyyyy more dodgy in terms of trusting anyone in world, can I get someone to buy and gift me something ( say, a Belleza Isis ;) ), and then simply pay them outside game via PayPal or something for the cost of the Lindens they spent?

Yes, I went a bit overboard in my initial buying (including one item I lost somehow and they do not offer redelivery ....grrrr) but am I basically stuck until my 30 day mark, even as a Premium member?

This newbie wants to know. Thanks!!! :)

P.S. And when does this silly 6 posts a day thing end? So frustrating when you're not SL-savvy and have so many questions.

7 answers to this question

4 minutes ago, TickleKitten said:

Okay, as a new player (sort of, whole other story) I get the rationale behind the 24 hour and 30 day limits on buying Lindens. I think it's odd it applies to people who have bought Premium memberships as well, but it's LL's world and their rules, so I'm okay with that (and both old enough and (somewhat) patient enough to know that's how the world works). My question is this ...

Can my in-game partner give me Lindens that I can spend? Is there a spending limit daily/monthly or is it only  a buying limit?

Alternatively, and probably wayyyyyyy more dodgy in terms of trusting anyone in world, can I get someone to buy and gift me something ( say, a Belleza Isis ;) ), and then simply pay them outside game via PayPal or something for the cost of the Lindens they spent?

Yes, I went a bit overboard in my initial buying (including one item I lost somehow and they do not offer redelivery ....grrrr) but am I basically stuck until my 30 day mark, even as a Premium member?

This newbie wants to know. Thanks!!! :)

P.S. And when does this silly 6 posts a day thing end? So frustrating when you're not SL-savvy and have so many questions.

There is no limit on spending.  A lot of people buy Lindens on their main and pass them to a new alt, too.  Your partner can certainly give you as many Lindens as they like.  As to the question of paying them back outside SL?  Who would even know if you did?  Technically, I don't think you're supposed to pay someone for Lindens but you'd more be paying them back in RL for something (an item) they bought you in SL.

• Thanks 1

You can always send L$  to another person in world. Pay for a service or an item, or just send L$ as a gift. 

SL TOS, Sect. 3.1: "Linden Dollars are transferable by the holder to any other user, provided that both users comply with these Terms of Service, maintain their Accounts in good standing, and are not delinquent on any Account payment requirements. "

There's no limit on spending.  There is a serious limit on buying and selling L$ anywhere except through the LindeX, however.

3.3. Linden Dollars may not be purchased or sold outside of the LindeX exchange.

Any purchase or sale of Linden Dollars through any means other than the LindeX is not permitted and is considered a violation of these Terms of Service which may result in suspension or termination of your Account.

Linden Lab has clarified many times that this includes selling L$ directly for cash between one resident and another.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

You can always send L$  to another person in world. Pay for a service or an item, or just send L$ as a gift. 

SL TOS, Sect. 3.1: "Linden Dollars are transferable by the holder to any other user, provided that both users comply with these Terms of Service, maintain their Accounts in good standing, and are not delinquent on any Account payment requirements. "

There's no limit on spending.  There is a serious limit on buying and selling L$ anywhere except through the LindeX, however.

3.3. Linden Dollars may not be purchased or sold outside of the LindeX exchange.

Any purchase or sale of Linden Dollars through any means other than the LindeX is not permitted and is considered a violation of these Terms of Service which may result in suspension or termination of your Account.

Linden Lab has clarified many times that this includes selling L$ directly for cash between one resident and another.  

But if she's paying them back for something they purchased for her?  Not paying for Lindens but just returning the cost of the item?  If they bought her a mesh head @2500L and she paid them back in RL?  That would be permitted?

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, RowanMinx said:

But if she's paying them back for something they purchased for her?  Not paying for Lindens but just returning the cost of the item?  If they bought her a mesh head @2500L and she paid them back in RL?  That would be permitted?

As you pointed out earlier, that sort of transaction would be hard to police, but it is still not allowed. The words of the TOS are pretty unambiguous: "Any purchase or sale of Linden Dollars through any means other than the LindeX is not permitted ."  The wording is meant to make competitive exchanges, like the ones that existed until a few years ago and were even sanctioned by LL at the time, illegal.  Those exchanges were privately run and were outside of SL itself.  It's hard to imagine a way for LL to make those illegal without also making direct person-to-person transactions illegal.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

As you pointed out earlier, that sort of transaction would be hard to police, but it is still not allowed. The words of the TOS are pretty unambiguous: "Any purchase or sale of Linden Dollars through any means other than the LindeX is not permitted ."  The wording is meant to make competitive exchanges, like the ones that existed until a few years ago and were even sanctioned by LL at the time, illegal.  Those exchanges were privately run and were outside of SL itself.  It's hard to imagine a way for LL to make those illegal without also making direct person-to-person transactions illegal.

I agree and private sales of Lindens shouldn't be allowed.  However, your quote "Any purchase or sale of Linden Dollars through any means other than the LindeX is not permitted ." still is specific to Lindens.  She's not purchasing Lindens from her partner and they aren't selling them to her.  They are gifting her an item for which she pays them in actual money in RL.  No Lindens are exchanged per se.  I think it is kind of an ambiguous transaction as no one gave or received Lindens in any way.

• Thanks 1

Wait ... I could simply create an alt, buying my 7/30 day limit of Lindens with that new account, and transfer the newly purchased Lindens to my main?

And thank you so much to Rolig and RowanMinx for your input and explanations. Although I won't do this at the moment, but suspect that, as RowanMinx suggests, that I could simply have someone buy and gift an item for me, and outside the game simply pay them for doing that.

23 minutes ago, TickleKitten said:

Wait ... I could simply create an alt, buying my 7/30 day limit of Lindens with that new account, and transfer the newly purchased Lindens to my main?

And thank you so much to Rolig and RowanMinx for your input and explanations. Although I won't do this at the moment, but suspect that, as RowanMinx suggests, that I could simply have someone buy and gift an item for me, and outside the game simply pay them for doing that.

Yes, and yes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1274 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.