Whats the deal with Bom?

Aluviel Nakamura

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1262 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

2 hours ago, FairreLilette said:

Yes me too...I've noticed Catwa and Genus are pretty close and can cross over pretty good too.  As far as a Kitsune, it's not so targeted an area like the mask I am going to show which I've had since a Classic.  In the photo I am wearing it on a Catwa head and this facial tattoo could fit on just about every BOM head probably because it is not so targeted much like the Kitsune things she is looking for aren't so targeted.  If she could get DEMOS, I think they might fit fine and especially things like stripes should do fine also even if they say "Catwa".  I know it's frustrating figuring it all out but switching back and forth causes more frustration imo.  It's better to pick one and stay with it awhile.  

Screenshot (120).png

I have a catwa head and I dont like it because the animations hud is hard to work. Genus hud looks more normal and natural. Plus the eyeliner on catwa doesnt really have eyeshadows just liner. 

7 minutes ago, Aluviel Nakamura said:

I have a catwa head and I dont like it because the animations hud is hard to work. Genus hud looks more normal and natural. Plus the eyeliner on catwa doesnt really have eyeshadows just liner. 

Oh.  What do you want to do then?  

As a side note though did you ever look at the MP store called Sugarcult?   It looks like you can make a Kitsune furry from that store.  Or do you want to be a hybrid which is more or less more human looking but with Kitsune attributes such as make-up or what?  

33 minutes ago, Aluviel Nakamura said:

I am a big Asian collector of 20 years now.  The cultural diff between them is that some have a higher bridge to their nose and lighter skinned, some have a very flat bridge.  For some reason the ones with a flatter looking bridge just dont look quite as pretty with the genuis makeup on the hud.

32 minutes ago, Aluviel Nakamura said:

I have a catwa head and I dont like it because the animations hud is hard to work

If you're open to new head purchases, I highly recommend demoing the ones at Lelutka.

Ryn literally looks like someone I used to know in my 20s living in Korea. Actually looks like 2 or 3 of my old friends... With the INO skin, she looks a little like one of my relatives.

I feel that right now Lelutka is doing for heads what a long time back Angel Rock did for skins. Used to be in SL non-white skins were just white skins tinted darker - the features and shading always looked "off" as a result (one blogger years ago described it as ashy, but Angel Rock themselves tended to be very ashy in the early days). Then Angel Rock made 'from the ground up' African skins that looked like 'SL versions of real people'. They did that also with one Asian and one Latina skin - but those were a long time ago, before mesh, and probably not around anymore...

Now several brands make their non-white skins more 'natively' and so look genuinely like people from that ethnic group, but it used to be a rare thing.

For mesh heads... every brand looks basically like an Caucasian head (LAQ has an exception I think... but mostly because it 'fades out detail to smooth points'). And people use the 'smooth' or 'young' versions to 'shape dial away' to that area where people with enough fat in their cheeks all kinda look similar... and then a skin to make it seem another ethnicity...

But Lelutka seems to now be making heads that are 'actually based on real people's features' for both Asian and African looks. Not many yet (one of each), and then the shape dials have enough response to them to make it different (more for the African head that you can dial all the way over to 'sorta Caucasian' or 'sorta Latina' - Ryn, the Asian female head, is a little more set in her look).

If you're still comparing between Genus and 'something else' - try a few more something elses. I mentioned LAQ too... I forget which head, but one of them got me to an almost Asian look when I demo'd it with an alt a few months back.

Edited by Pussycat Catnap
  • Like 3

51 minutes ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

Ryn literally looks like someone I used to know in my 20s living in Korea.

The Ryn head is pure perfection as far as really looking like a human.  It's just an amazing sculpt and work of art.  For some of us, finding what we really want can take time and sometimes some mistakes as it even happened to me.  And, then, suddenly I started to see with my Catya head it still isn't quite what I want as I seem to always be leaning well into a 30-something look and I want to look about 18-20 something for my own personal reasons, mainly because of clothing style which would be for a younger looking avatar.  I've been 30-something too long too and need a change soon.

But, the Ryn head is quite a work of art.   Most of the Caucasian heads are not that level.   

Edited by FairreLilette
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

Ryn literally looks like someone I used to know in my 20s living in Korea.

I am pure Japanese in real life and Ryn looks like me, my mom, my aunt, my cousins, my BFF, and maybe around 5 other women in their mid 20s to early 30s that I see on the subway every day lol I could say the same about its male counterpart Kane. I bought myself Ryn after I saw Kane on my husband’s avi and got blown away by how it does resemble him in RL, or a younger version of him at least. That is just how realistic and lifelike LeLutka heads are. Never looked back, no longer tempted to try out any upcoming heads unless they can prove they are the same level or maybe higher than LeLutka.

10 hours ago, FairreLilette said:

For some of us, finding what we really want can take time and sometimes some mistakes as it even happened to me.

I settled for Catwa Catya when I rejoined SL after a 6-year-hiatus and upgraded to mesh last year. Wasted so much time and lindens trying to turn it into something that feels me, but even with the best skins, hair, and such I never felt totally at home with it. Next I tried Genus Strong and Baby Face I was able to make both look Korean at least but it is the Gangnam Unnie look and totally not a face I could live with. And when LeLutka released Kane and Ryn everything fell into place and I lived happily ever after lol

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Yuumo Ichibara said:

I am pure Japanese in real life and Ryn looks like me, my mom, my aunt, my cousins, my BFF, and maybe around 5 other women in their mid 20s to early 30s that I see on the subway every day lol I could say the same about its male counterpart Kane. I bought myself Ryn after I saw Kane on my husband’s avi and got blown away by how it does resemble him in RL, or a younger version of him at least. That is just how realistic and lifelike LeLutka heads are. Never looked back, no longer tempted to try out any upcoming heads unless they can prove they are the same level or maybe higher than LeLutka.

Yeah basically the 'competition' for Ryn will be if they do another Asian head to open up variety within there.

I managed to tweak the look pretty far away from base with my own avatar - but every head has it's limits. So... give us a second one, maybe based around someone from Vietnam or Thailand next time.

Lelutka used to be the brand I was the most critical of. Before their evolution line all of their heads looked extremely similar to each other. But with the evolution line they not only really opened up their potential - they also ticked off all my checkboxes technology wise with a lightweight mesh, natively BOM, well done 'ear hiding' option for non-humans, simple HUD, and smaller script impact.

• Like 3

I sincerely apologize about that other thread, not many were responding to it and I lost it. I went back to try to keep up on it and it looks like it got moved or just burred. I apologize for that. Im so sorry for the ones who time out thier busy lives to try and help me. Please forgive me... I took a 6 year hiatus from SL too..    I am looking for a classic NO eyelid skin. I have tried several demos.. if it is not made for the baby face head of genus I have not had any luck in getting it to change. Maybe bad lag in the sand box? Who knows.. I have a catwa head a TSG head and Genus.. I really dont want to buy a 4th head.  I bought them as they came out and while I didnt mind a mixed look with an eyelid before or an all natural no makeup look, This time I want to create the human Kitsune look. Not a furry. not a hybrid either. 

So last night I went out shopping, tried to get the RYN skin it was made for the strong Genus head.  I have baby face....so when I put it on, it totally wacked my face shape and my mesh eyes got all messed up..Yes I put on the shape that came with it. It just was wonky...  You know how you get comfortable with something and everything else just looks wacked on you and nothing like the photo?  Kinda like that.. Even tho a skin says its supposedly ok for several types of heads.. 9 times out of ten thats simply isnt true. 

If it looked really good.. I might be tempted to just start completely over and buy Another head...... I was hoping there was a simple way I could create my own tattoo like I usually do and get it on that head by adding it to the Genus hud or something? 

Here is another MAJOR issue:: If you want a clear Japanese, Korean or Chinese non hybrid look from the Original Edo period or Han dynasty that was not mixed with any others, there will be no eyelid.  Genus makeup hud all eyeshadows put a dang crease on my eye and gives me an eyelid and it drives me nuts.. You might beg to differ thats fine.. I got this info from my Chinese teacher at the unified school district from my Zhong Wen class.  so argue or make smart remarks to her not me thx. 

I am going to send another notecard to the creator of pumec skin and ask her to please BOM it. 

Curious how did anyone ever get any tattoos on their face when the skin wasnt a Bom? 

I read a few posts back that someone said they found a catwa tattoo that wasnt Bom and it worked for a genus head. so maybe I will try that again. 

I have asked for a develoiper kit from Genus and gave the llink to my small humble marketplace. I have made skins in the past and I pretty sure with my GD degree I can figure out how to do it for mesh.  

'WOW how times have changed.. Wo you tai tong! 

On 10/28/2020 at 10:11 AM, Skell Dagger said:

Some of us spent a considerable amount of time helping the OP in their last thread, and we had to read through this new thread to find out that they had managed to fix the issues they were having, since they didn't go back to that one to let us know. Some common, reciprocal courtesy there from the OP would have been appreciated.

My deepest apologies. TY for the link back to that thread.  I have read it and have a better understanding why.... what I did, didnt work. Yes it was obvious one layer was overriding the other appliers.  I also wanted to talk about something that was a separate issue. Im still shocked why the skins are not automatically baked on the mesh heads when you put them on. I m sure if I go back and read through those two posts you made one more time very carefully, that will be explained too. I am a caregiver full time 24/7 I am always being interrupted. I apologize if I had to jump up and never quite finished reading your very detailed explanation. Sometimes when you work all the time you need the most quickest answer because your real life superceeds SL. Thank you thank you thank you a million times over Hun. I appreciate what you did there. You are welcome to friend me if you dont hate my guts over this.

4 hours ago, Aluviel Nakamura said:

This time I want to create the human Kitsune look

Ok, first I accepted your friendship inworld but you are offline right now and I need to be offline soon now.

But, in one post you said you have made skins...well, you could just add the Kitsune features you want right onto the face skin texture in Photoshop and you don't even need to make tattoos.

See my photo below...I just added the moon directly onto the skin template in Photoshop; no tattoo needed.  You could probably just erase the eyelids too or someone could who would make a skin for you.  I've been adding tattoos into my BOM skins directly instead of making them a separate tattoo...I thought perhaps it's less lag that way.  (yes, my eyes look weird in the pic, I was trying to see if I could wear two eyes in each for a fantasy look - so ignore those).

Snapshot_291.jpg

Edited by FairreLilette

Very Beautiful^^ TY for the friendship!  You have been so sweet and nice. Yes I have made skins... this was old school.. these mesh heads are a little scary.. I am not sure I could do it ha!  You did a great job on yours. I have done asian skin minimally. its super hard to get the shape to work with the skin. I had to basically scrunch the eyes down rally horribly for the skin to lay right. That was on the easy head. I dont think any skin creator is going to give me the template to the Asian ones so I can draw my tattoo^^

Ok I found a set of catwa kitsune tattoos , since it was mentioned that they place nice with Genus, I decided to take a risk and it turned out beautiful!! Instead of the catwa hud I was able to use the Omega hud included..

There was a trick.. you have to buy a special genus Omega hud for That head. Once you do that it "Enables" your head to receive makeups from Omega makeup huds. 

So the hud I bought for the makeup came with a special catwa and a general universal hud. 

Since I dont think anyone is following this thread, I made a new one asking where I can buy a plain old universal omega hud for makeup. Only because this is off topic now.  Incase anyone is still following and would like to answer I can always take the other post off. 

• Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1262 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.