Who do you prefer: male or female singing voices?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1245 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Well, it's not a hard-and-fast rule, but in general I prefer women artists. I'm honestly not sure why -- maybe I can identify more with their subject matter, approach, and attitude? But again, there are lots and lots of male artists I also like and admire, so it's not a principle.

I don't have any idea why you think female singing voices are more soothing. Joan Jett? Patti Smith? PJ Harvey? Kathleen Hanna? Do you think Billie Eilish is "soothing"????

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Well, it's not a hard-and-fast rule, but in general I prefer women artists. I'm honestly not sure why -- maybe I can identify more with their subject matter, approach, and attitude? But again, there are lots and lots of male artists I also like and admire, so it's not a principle.

I don't have any idea why you think female singing voices are more soothing. Joan Jett? Patti Smith? PJ Harvey? Kathleen Hanna? Do you think Billie Eilish is "soothing"????

Hmm...I guess there are exceptions. Maybe I was just generalizing....

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gopi Passiflora said:

Hmm...I guess there are exceptions. Maybe I was just generalizing....

Well, I wonder if you aren't thinking of the more pop-oriented women singers? But that may be more a matter of genre than of gender.

Then again, what do I know? I don't think the music I tend to listen to would ever be classified as "soothing."

• Like 1

It depends entirely on the type of singing and the specific person.  I could listen to Bryn Terfel for hours, possibly because he has a rich Welsh baritone and possibly because I just happen to like his choice of music.  I also enjoy listening to Joni Mitchell and Joan Baez, again partly because they have lovely melodious voices and partly because of the tunes they choose to sing.  I can rarely understand a word of what anybody sings in any language, so it's the melody I react to, not the text.  All that counts is that I enjoy it.

Edited by Rolig Loon
typos. as always.
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Do you think Billie Eilish is "soothing"????

I’m same for female singer preference but love a lot of male singers too but I honestly do think some Billie Eilish is soothing or at least ‘chill’...how about Bad Guy, Ocean Eyes, No Time To Die?

Edit: Kate Bush is and probably always will be GOAT though for me anyway!

Edited by Fauve Aeon
  • Like 1

Well my favourite singers are female so I will go with that option B|

Liz Fraser from Cocteau Twins is probably my all-time favourite. I really haven't heard anyone like her. She used to pick random words from foreign language books for the lyrics just because she liked the sound of them, but to me it's like listening to a secret spell

And I also love Caitlin Seager from Night Manager

But Iggy Pop has a brilliant voice too and sometimes cracks me up...a tough one...:S

If they've got good technique I love them both. I have favourite male singers and favourite female ones, but I couldn't tell you which one I prefer. 

I don't know how well Only Fools and Horses is known outside of the UK...I'm guessing it's pretty culture-specific, but if you know it, hopefully this will make your day.

• Like 1

Idk but I still know the words to just about every Olde english/gaelic childrens nursery rhyme there ever was.
My mother used to sing them to us when babies, which must have led to my perpetual spelling addiction.
Surely there's something in that?
Here's another comparison for the curious 8^) Which do you find more relaxing? 😆

It's worth checking out songs by MisCast, which likes to take well-known musical theatre numbers and switch round the genders, among other things. This is a few years old, but I love love love it. Joshua Colley (Angelica) is coming on in leaps and bounds with his training, since obviously his voice has broken since he did this. He's on YouTube and is just so talented.

ETA: God I forgot how cute Peggy is too. All of them are great.

Edited by Amina Sopwith

There is no way for me to ever be able to tell.. There is just too many great voices in women and men..

I can't stand when there is a flood of singers jumping on a wagon trying to sound like someone else, that or overdoing a song ..an example is , how long some will make Home of the Brave last in the national anthem, like 100 kabillion people before them have done..

I like voices that are more unique to the times than anything really and those that are timeless, or those that get the old school feel..like Anthony Hamilton..

The first time I heard him, I was hooked  before the first chorus.. I was like, Oh this guy's pulling it from deep down..

I remember being little and my first mother playing a video that was from the Apollo theater, I might have been 8 at the time.. I just kept asking her to play it over and over..

I looked for the video on youtube but couldn't find any good quality.. So I found this one..

She still sounded so great.. She was like the first real voice that ever had me stop in my tracks.

Stephanie Mills, I feel good all over..

• Like 1

I always liked Pink from the get go..I just loved her screw you tough attitude And her voice That matched it so well..

I remember something about Christine Aguileras manager or agent saying something about, of course  Christine will be  getting the lead or something like that when they did lady marmalade together..

Pink was like, screw you, why would you think that? hehehe I just loved hearing that.

They are both really great voices, but Pink just wears it all so much better..

I like both and can't really say if there are more women or men on my "favourites" list. 

Lately the voice I'm digging belongs to Guy Garvey of Elbow, who gets played a lot on my local radio (as they are based around here).

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1245 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.