Hearing sound when Master volumes are off??

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1268 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Is it possible to receive sounds (music or voice) in your headset (or speakers) which are not coming from any of the sound sliders on your settings as you stand in a region where suddenly it comes in OVER the region music if you have it on, and you turn that music OFF, turn the voice off, media off.. all sliders moved hard to the left, including Master volume itself, and yet, the sound plays on all by itself....and after some small interim will repeat regardless all of your settings of everything off... and maybe you tp out to another region and it follows you and finishes it's short clip, such as a 10 second (or so) clip of music, or in one case a voice as of someone speaking on a phone call.. and when later maybe 5 minutes or so, it repeats and you cannot mute it or find it,.. thus  Is this possible?  Can such sounds/clips be made to reach you AROUND the viewer itself, around your router, and into your headset, or speakers, and emanating from inside SL itself?

...an to elaborate, is was inside SL (not outside on the player side), since the player realizing she couldn't turn it off in the viewer (Firestorm latest vers.) suspected foul play and closed the viewer, logging out, and the sound stopped as she exited.  The next day in the same region she heard the voice clip again and asked a friend with her if she heard but she didn't.  She is rather calm about this, but concerned.  It happened tonight that in a public sandbox, a music clip came loud over the region music and she franticlly pulled all sliders to the left and unchecked boxes and the pulled Msaster volume to the left, and yet after some interim it came again, the exact same clip, so she tp'd out of the region and that brought it to a halt.  She went back with another man and soon it came again and that man could not hear it.  She cammed around the samebox and located a transparent sphere under ground that had an avatar name to it, so she opened his profile, and even IM'd him to ask if he was playing the cool music and who the artist was, heh, in hopes of a response but none came.  She then waited calmly for the next occurrence so she could try blocking that avatar, but it didn't come again and she finally wearied and left.  She told me all this and I haven't gone to that sandbox yet, nor heard of such a thing happening.  To me the general interest is HOW is this possible? 

I get this too.

Monitoring the sound channels shows that  SL ( I guess the viewer ) is triggering the system browser to play the channel - so it is not subject to the viewer controls.

Note I am using Linux, and the Firestorm viewer with Brave as my system browser.

10 minutes ago, Anna Nova said:

I get this too.

Monitoring the sound channels shows that  SL ( I guess the viewer ) is triggering the system browser to play the channel - so it is not subject to the viewer controls.

Note I am using Linux, and the Firestorm viewer with Brave as my system browser.

Do you have a specific way to reproduce it?

4 minutes ago, Nick0678 said:

Do you have a specific way to reproduce it?

Sail my boat into, or near, some parcels.

I don't keep a list of the places, sorry.  I just put it down to Linden Lab understandable inability to fix ancient programming, and put up with it.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Anna Nova said:

triggering the system browser to play the channel - so it is not subject to the viewer controls.

Yeah. 

I think I've come to see it that way too, and in a broader sense to answer my own "general" question.  It is that, when we log onto a "game" platform or some chat platforms, that just because there is a convenient little interface there for us to control the volumes, even turning them "off" (which may in fact not be true), during our experiences on the platform, doesn't mean those little UI's are functioning as absolute firewalls.  I get that.  So, it makes sense that clever other people can find work arounds and still broadcast to your speakers or headset (around those interfaces, in a sense) and it's not necessarily a malicious attack on the player's home system or computer.  That is what I suspect is the reality in this. 

My friend Waiomao had a similar issue. A film soundtrack played whenever we arrived at her Linden Home. She had no media player or media assigned to the Linden Home preferences, so it was a mystery. Noisy neighbor maybe? But restricting sound to the parcel in preferences didn't stop it. She later moved to a new Linden home, and the sound persisted in the new place too. Weird as hell. She had named both homes "Hawaii," but later changed the name of her place. The soundtrack disappeared when her place was renamed. It seemed like the media was attached to the property name in SL's servers, and didn't matter what the property settings were.

• Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1268 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.