Jump to content

Blender Startup Preference Settings for 2.9


You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 86 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Recommended Posts

Can someone help me with setting up the preferences for startup to be SL friendly? I just DL 2.9 and I messed up my startup preferences somewhere along the way. What I can find online is outdated. Thanks! Not concerned about exporting collada - I'm looking for startup preferences for workflow issues. The instructions I find online are outdated (2.79). If not, I'll figure it out again, but didn't feel like banging my head on the wall if someone had it quick. 

Edited by EllieAnne Silverfall
clarification
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

How do you define "SL friendly?"

Besides picking the SL preset during export, there's nothing particularly special you need to do.

Which version are you using? I don't think there has been an SL preset option since before 2.8.

There are ways to set up start up preferences to make workflow easier for SL mesh. The directions I've been able to find are outdated, however. Here is an example: http://www.torsten-funk.de/tutorials_008-blender-second-life-opensimulator.html

Edited by EllieAnne Silverfall
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, EllieAnne Silverfall said:

Can someone help me with setting up the preferences for startup to be SL friendly? I just DL 2.9 and I messed up my startup preferences somewhere along the way. What I can find online is outdated. Thanks!

I don't have 2.9 but isn't there something (still) similar to this set up when you export? It would probably help folks if you explained what you are exporting and what methods your files were made in.    

 

image.png.da92c5dd3e211fee40db24dc16e59a48.png

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

I don't have 2.9 but isn't there something (still) similar to this set up when you export? It would probably help folks if you explained what you are exporting and what methods your files were made in.    

 

image.png.da92c5dd3e211fee40db24dc16e59a48.png

Anyway, I'm not talking about collada export. I'm talking about startup preferences for workflow. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

How do you define "SL friendly?"

Besides picking the SL preset during export, there's nothing particularly special you need to do.

Just as an example - there are certain settings in tools, baking, etc that are helpful to have set up from startup, rather than having to go in and change them each time. I'll figure it out again, but will have headaches until then. Sigh. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

1 hour ago, EllieAnne Silverfall said:

There are ways to set up start up preferences to make workflow easier for SL mesh. The directions I've been able to find are outdated, however. Here is an example: http://www.torsten-funk.de/tutorials_008-blender-second-life-opensimulator.html

If you had bothered to look you would have found that, on the same website,  Torsten Funk had already updated his setup for 2.9  .... "Blender 2.90 Setup für virtuelle Welten"

http://www.torsten-funk.de/tutorials_blender-290_setup-for-virtual-worlds.html

Viel Spass.  :)

Edited by Aquila Kytori
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Aquila Kytori said:

 

If you had bothered to look you would have found that, on the same website,  Torsten Funk had already updated his setup for 2.9  .... "Blender 2.90 Setup für virtuelle Welten"

http://www.torsten-funk.de/tutorials_blender-290_setup-for-virtual-worlds.html

Viel Spass.  :)

 

👍    *we really could use some MUCH BETTER SYMBOLS

 

Also to add to the confusion, the original post was changed after some comments were made.

 

If it were "me", I would just open  an old file that I knew worked for me, delete the objects, materials perhaps and a few other things and save the file as  a new start up file.  Is this a bizarre idea?  I have done that a few times.   Doesn't take long. 

:SwingingFriends:

Edited by Chic Aeon
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Aquila Kytori said:

 

If you had bothered to look you would have found that, on the same website,  Torsten Funk had already updated his setup for 2.9  .... "Blender 2.90 Setup für virtuelle Welten"

http://www.torsten-funk.de/tutorials_blender-290_setup-for-virtual-worlds.html

Viel Spass.  :)

Well, damn. Aren't you kind? Could have answered without being an ass. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chic Aeon said:

 

👍    *we really could use some MUCH BETTER SYMBOLS

 

Also to add to the confusion, the original post was changed after some comments were made.

 

If it were "me", I would just open  an old file that I knew worked for me, delete the objects, materials perhaps and a few other things and save the file as  a new start up file.  Is this a bizarre idea?  I have done that a few times.   Doesn't take long. 

:SwingingFriends:

Good point, but being that I haven't played around in 2.9 yet, I wasn't sure how much has changed. I know that the setup I had pre 2.79 was very different looking than the newer versions. I edited the OP to clarify what I was looking for - not to add confusion, but to prevent answers on what I didn't need. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

A lot (like 99%) of the things suggested in that page are sooo subjective and don't really affect your workflow at all when it comes to Second Life.

  • Flip header to bottom
  • Snap during transform by default
  • Enable X-Ray
  • Disable outline
  • Hide Gizmo
  • So much more...

Some useful nitpicks from me though:

  • 3D Viewport
    • Viewport Shading (solid mode), Shading
      • Enable Backface Culling (Second Life and most other games do this.)
         
  • Properties Editor
    • Scene Properties
      • Unit System: Metric (Second Life uses this.)
      • Unit Scale: 1.0 (1 unit = 1 meter)
         
  • Blender Preferences:
    • Interface
      • Disable splash screen
      • Enable developer extras (Only if you know why.)
    • Keymap
      • Make a keybinding for "Center View to Mouse"
        • I use Alt + Middle Mouse
      • (Optional) Remove the "Play Animation: Spacebar" keybinding
      • (Optional) Add a "Search Menu: Spacebar" keybinding
    • System
      • Increase your Undo Steps
Edited by Wulfie Reanimator
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

When I converted to 2.8 and again 2.9, I tried to replicate my 2.79 layout and workflows for a while. Now I just use the default layout, which is pretty terrific except:

  • Edit: uncheck Lock Object Modes. 
  • Minor adjustment to Theme - color selections orange and scroll bars blue so I can see them better than the gray on gray. 
  • View Toolbars and Tool Settings (the checkboxes). Use F9 key to toggle "Adjust Last Operation" and the "n" hotkey to bring up the side panel. 

The great thing about 2.9 is that I can switch to different Workspace tabs without thinking about it - the defaults are set up thoughtfully. For SL/OS projects I'm usually switching between Modeling, Sculpting, UV Editing, Texture Paint and Shading. Each will stay set up the way I left them last. 

I'm in and out of Viewport Overlays constantly, to look at what I need to look at at that moment.

The left toolbar is nice, though I usually hotkey all that.

It's also easy to add and remove Editor types, so I close the panels I don't need at the moment, open new ones or rearrange them as is convenient. For example, if I'm rigging something I collapse the stack on the right and slide open a new panel so I can have full length on the Properties and the Outliner side by side, to see longer columns of bones and vertex groups. Next project, I might put them back to the default layout.  

Same with the Add-ons. I keep the ones I don't need at that moment turned off, turn stuff on only when I need it. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 86 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...