adding a picture to a forum post

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1271 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

can someone please tell me how you add a picture to a post? I know you get a box asking for a url, but what url's will these forums accept? I can not get gyazo to be accepted, and have tried searching for the phrase "how to add a photo to forum post" and keep coming up with a lot of posts with pictures but none on how to do it. I guess my question is, what online photo repositories will I need to sign up to to add a photo to link to a post here?

If you're trying to place an image from a web URL into your post, you should just be able to paste or type the text of the direct address to that into the post and then the forum automation should place the web image inline. URLs ending with the image file in a recognized format such as .jpg, .png, or .gif should work fine from most web content.

Edited by Chroma Starlight
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Chroma Starlight said:

If you're trying to place an image from a web URL into your post, you should just be able to paste or type the text of a web URL to an image into your post with the editor and then forum automation *should* place the inline image into the post.

thank you for the reply, I made a post on another section of the forums, and included the copy pasted url to the picture on gyazo but it left the link instead of just showing the pictures

I'm on a Mac, but imagine Windows provides similar functionality. As mentioned by others, you can usually just drag a web image to the post window and it'll show up. You should also be able to right-click images on webpage and "Copy Link". Then you'd go to the post window, right-click and "Paste". Some web pages obfuscate the image URL a bit and I must sometimes right-click the image and "Open in a New Window" to get the URL. I then either drag the image to the post or copy the URL from the address bar and paste it into the post.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

When sharing pictures via URLs I prefer to right-click the image and press 'Copy Image Address' as that assures me to get the full URL in one go and that I share the picture rather than a hyperlink to the site the picture is displayed on. 

Like:

1176866725_AnimatedSTOP.thumb.gif.1fbdde

... Okay that may have been lazy of me - but hey, I just now noticed the bullets appearing!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Orwar said:

When sharing pictures via URLs I prefer to right-click the image and press 'Copy Image Address' as that assures me to get the full URL in one go and that I share the picture rather than a hyperlink to the site the picture is displayed on. 

Like:

1176866725_AnimatedSTOP.thumb.gif.1fbdde

... Okay that may have been lazy of me - but hey, I just now noticed the bullets appearing!

So much this, it works so much better then just copying the address at the top of the page, which often is just a link to the site where it is stored at and not the actual image which confuses the forum software.

ok, I do understand how to share via a link, but what web hosting site can a photo be uploaded to then a url be linked to in a post here? that was my issue. Gyazo urls would not accept in the add image function, photobucket won't allow me to copy the picture url anymore. I was able to add the url in text into a post, but it was simply the url link to the outside sourced picture, no picture showed in the post, just the link.

1 minute ago, RobinMcRobins said:

ok, I do understand how to share via a link, but what web hosting site can a photo be uploaded to then a url be linked to in a post here? that was my issue. Gyazo urls would not accept in the add image function, photobucket won't allow me to copy the picture url anymore. I was able to add the url in text into a post, but it was simply the url link to the outside sourced picture, no picture showed in the post, just the link.

That should work, too. Here's a gif and snap from Gyazo I just uploaded:

43b0007ec3026b20affe6dcd7fccb217.gif

b5149f9877cf1fc2071e34e32dc67b22.png

• Like 1

You could always just download the image to your computer at that point and then upload it here, then if you didnt want to keep the image anymore just delete it from your computer.

The problem may lie in the fact if the image size is too big for the forums, the forums has a limit on how big the file can be in Kb. if its too big it wont let it upload here, which is why hot linking is often done to share from other places.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1271 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.