SL urban legends and conspiracies

ErikaKotov

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1263 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have an SL conspiracy theory. Back in the days when there was a 'goldrush' for land, before the great land price crash of 2007 (I think), so-called land barons were more of a thing than they are now. 

Prior to the crash, land had been going up and up in price, to exorbitant levels, far higher than what it is now. Then Linden Lab created a lot more land. The increased supply led to a reduction in prices. Then some of the land barons decided to get out, leading to a sudden crash in the average land price.

My conspiracy theory is that several of the big land barons were alts of the same real life person, who played their barons against each other to drive up the price of land.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Orwar said:

Once upon a time, there was .. But then a rogue mole decided to slay the cow king, so the portal can no longer be opened. 

Well, I guess we all should draw straws on who's gonna tell all those girls running around SL in Cow gear, that there is no more Cow Level..

hehehehe

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

Well, I guess we all should draw straws on who's gonna tell all those girls running around SL in Cow gear, that there is no more Cow Level..

Perhaps they're former inhabitants of the cow level that escaped then the dimension collapsed after the murder of the cow king?

I'm not going anywhere near them though. They're a bit too weird for me, and I'm a coulrophiliac.

bac0ae6e05a59bcaebfe98fd41f5cf4f.gif
   That wink is the cutest thing ever!

• Haha 3

I went down the rabbit hole a few years ago with this “situation” that I guess could be a conspiracy tho I’m pretty sure it was just the manifestation of a disturbed individual & a lonely woman.   There’s more to be found if you take time to google him.  He had an apprentice at one point, but the young mans father pulled him out of it.  But I think from the lack of any rec3nt news the man likely wound up in prison or a mental health facility.  

The gist of this guys story:  there is a real gorean underworld of thousands masters & slaves that network in SL to make real life connections 

• Haha 2

28 minutes ago, Pixie Kobichenko said:

There is a real gorean underworld of thousands masters & slaves that network in SL to make real life connections 

Actually, this is a thing but it doesn't stop at SL, many virtual socialing platforms have a section in their communities of this sort of b/s, it's not so much under ground either unless you want the full experince, there are a lot of "rules" and "punishments" that have been ommited from lifestyle gorean.

There's groups upon groups regarding this on seedier alternative lifestyle websites along with people advertising themselves as such... It's... Disturbing. (From a psychological pov.)

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, Eseme Nova said:

Actually, this is a thing but it doesn't stop at SL, many virtual socialing platforms have a section in their communities of this sort of b/s, it's not so much under ground either unless you want the full experince, there are a lot of "rules" and "punishments" that have been ommited from lifestyle gorean.

There's groups upon groups regarding this on seedier alternative lifestyle websites along with people advertising themselves as such... It's... Disturbing. (From a psychological pov.)

Like I said, I went down the rabbit hole on the story, following links on links from story to story following that one individual, including his own YouTube’s.  The conspiracy part was that this network involved agents who were actively watching them- cloak & dagger sort of stuff, would kill them if he said too much to the documentary crew, etc.  The entire side story of the young man, the trouble with the local police, neighbors, councils- all was supposed to be handled by this network of higher ups in the “Kaotians”.   Who don’t exist.

Just now, Drakonadrgora Darkfold said:

Some even go as far as letting themselves be branded in rl to show who their owner/Master is.

Branding isn't unique to Goreans though ..

• Like 1

Just now, Orwar said:

Branding isn't unique to Goreans though ..

maybe not but it is still sort of stupid to do. what if the relationship ends or fails for some reason. you have a permanent mark on you at that point, that is harder to remove then a tattoo in many cases.

yes some pets are branded by their owners and some other slaves but still silly to do.

5 minutes ago, Drakonadrgora Darkfold said:

maybe not but it is still sort of stupid to do. what if the relationship ends or fails for some reason. you have a permanent mark on you at that point, that is harder to remove then a tattoo in many cases.

And yet people do it. From observing mankind for some while now, I've come to deduce that we are a fairly silly species.

Some people also bring themselves to financial ruin to buy dense carbon in hopes of getting to marry someone. And if that didn't break their budget, the wedding ceremony certainly might. And then they still figure they should go bump elsewhere and end up losing half of what they own and having to pay alimonies that may well inhibit their ability to achieve financial stability again - especially as they may have to get a new home and vehicle to be able to even get to work.

I bet some people who've had that happen to them would love to trade place with someone who has 'MINE - X.Y.Z.' burnt onto their buttock.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Orwar said:

And yet people do it. From observing mankind for some while now, I've come to deduce that we are a fairly silly species.

Some people also bring themselves to financial ruin to buy dense carbon in hopes of getting to marry someone. And if that didn't break their budget, the wedding ceremony certainly might. And then they still figure they should go bump elsewhere and end up losing half of what they own and having to pay alimonies that may well inhibit their ability to achieve financial stability again - especially as they may have to get a new home and vehicle to be able to even get to work.

I bet some people who've had that happen to them would love to trade place with someone who has 'MINE - X.Y.Z.' burnt onto their buttock.

I dont believe in traditional weddings either. They are just a money pit and more for the families to enjoy and not really smart in todays age.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sassy Kenin said:

Him forcing her to wear that Avatar? 🤡

:P if you mean my avatar, puhleeeease.  You know I'm adorbs lol.  (No, I really don't think this.  I'm just too bucking lazy to change it from when I first uploaded it, I know it's cringe.)

Edited by Eseme Nova
Swearing
  • Haha 1

On 10/26/2020 at 12:19 PM, Pixie Kobichenko said:

Like I said, I went down the rabbit hole on the story, following links on links from story to story following that one individual, including his own YouTube’s.  The conspiracy part was that this network involved agents who were actively watching them- cloak & dagger sort of stuff, would kill them if he said too much to the documentary crew, etc.  The entire side story of the young man, the trouble with the local police, neighbors, councils- all was supposed to be handled by this network of higher ups in the “Kaotians”.   Who don’t exist.

You went way farther down the rabbit hole than I ever did.  And I thank you for that,  granted there probably is some kind of network of "higher ups" as it does sound crazy enough to be true but I doubt it is to the extreme as the conspiracy theory 

Then again....  Maybe it is true, reality as of late has been mimicing classic literature as of late.  

45 minutes ago, Rat Luv said:

Lol, what are these? I haven't heard of any of them...O.o

For the FIC, see Prokofy Neva, although the idea I think predates his lists.

The German news report was a tabloidy story about under age goings-on of an illegal kind in SL. Of which there was unquestionably some. It created a mass panic and may have moved LL to change its rating system and close the teen grid.

Not sure about babies in boxes though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/25/2020 at 11:16 PM, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I can think of dozens of occasions in SL, none of them involving BDSM, where I wanted a word that would magically make what I was seeing / hearing / reading magically stop and go away.

Facebook Horizons has that. It's creepy. They wanted horizons to be "safe". So they turned it into a police state.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Rat Luv said:

Lol, what are these? I haven't heard of any of them...O.o

F.I.C. means Feted Inner Core - an imagined bunch of users who LL shows preference to. The only person with the imagination is Prokofy Neva, and s/he's pushed it for donkeys years.

I'm not sure if this is part of the imagination, but it's sometimes said that they can buy land from LL cheaper than we 'ordinary' users. And it's true that some users do buy land from LL cheaper than most, but it's not because they are in a fictitious Feted Inner Core. It simply because they buy in quantity, which anyone can do. Put up the money to buy a fair number of sims, and you can get a quantity discount too.

Edited by Phil Deakins
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The babies in boxes is an old forum thread where a resident saw a merchant displaying prim babies in some kind of packaging and she was very concerned about it. The thread was something like, “ What’s this about babbies in boxes? The misspelling made it more memorable.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1263 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.