Jump to content

You notice people disappearing from your town.


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Fauve Aeon said:

ageism

   To be attracted to people of a certain age group isn't 'ageism', just as being less or more attracted to certain ethnicities isn't 'racism'. Are you suggesting it should be brought so far as that people shouldn't be allowed to choose their partners because they may not be inclusive enough? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Orwar said:

   To be attracted to people of a certain age group isn't 'ageism', just as being less or more attracted to certain ethnicities isn't 'racism'. Are you suggesting it should be brought so far as that people shouldn't be allowed to choose their partners because they may not be inclusive enough? 

In SL one has to work very hard not to appear to be somewhere between 16 and 28 if one has a female appearing avatar. Almost the same for males, but the older options are out there without such a difficult search.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Fauve Aeon said:

Such a troll, referencing a 24 year old movie, sexism AND ageism in a ‘just for fun’ thread? Shame on you! You do realize that Fairuza is 46, now right? 

IKNORITE? Fugly witches need Love too!

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Nick0678 said:

Depends, if she is the sexy looking type i would ask her out for a date, i  am sure we can talk it over but if shes one of those fugly witches on menopause i would just put my earbuds on, get my motorcycle and go for a ride.

 

1 hour ago, Fauve Aeon said:

Such a troll, referencing a 24 year old movie, sexism AND ageism in a ‘just for fun’ thread? Shame on you! You do realize that Fairuza is 46, now right?

The biggest issue, Nick -- lest you take consolation in the suggestion that someone is trying to force you to go out with a "fugly witch on menopause" -- is less your preferences, than the truly obnoxious and unpleasant language that you're using to describe it.

Although . . . given that I rather suspect that you are no spring chicken yourself, I'm guessing your preferences are pretty moot in reality.

No matter, in SL everyone is young and pretty! And there's no menopause here to harsh your buzz! What a wonderful world, eh?

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Gatogateau said:

In SL one has to work very hard not to appear to be somewhere between 16 and 28 if one has a female appearing avatar.

   To be fair, it's my opinion that everyone should put very hard work into their avatar regardless of what they want to appear like. Especially now with BOM it's easy enough to 'rough up' your otherwise pristine skin - I'm pretty sure Izzie's has just about anything you could think of.

   Also, they've done a remake of The Witches?! Loved that film when I was little. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Orwar said:

   To be fair, it's my opinion that everyone should put very hard work into their avatar regardless of what they want to appear like. Especially now with BOM it's easy enough to 'rough up' your otherwise pristine skin - I'm pretty sure Izzie's has just about anything you could think of.

   Also, they've done a remake of The Witches?! Loved that film when I was little. 

Mostly agree, except not with the emphasis on "should". There can be legit reasons why someone doesn't spend the time or $$$ on an avatar. Izzie's does have a lot of wrinkle and spot options but I find they are too much. I just had this conversation with someone. I'm just as hypocritical as everyone else. I like my Dom to look like they have a few years of experience behind them. They don't have to be full on old fart, but some nice eye crinkles or something. A little gray at the temples. (Btw, if anyone knows of a MALE hair base that has gray temples, please pass that along! I searched and searched Mkt place and found only ONE that looked like a possibility.)  Seicher, though, looks to be in her mid-twenties and I don't plan on changing that. I generally like the way Seicher looks, although depending on makeup and hair sometimes she can look a bit TOO young.  I have, with a bit of ageist protest in mind, tried to age Seicher up and it never goes well.

I have no idea about The Witches. :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Orwar said:

   To be attracted to people of a certain age group isn't 'ageism', just as being less or more attracted to certain ethnicities isn't 'racism'. Are you suggesting it should be brought so far as that people shouldn't be allowed to choose their partners because they may not be inclusive enough? 

I wasn’t saying they shouldn’t be attracted to whomever they are attracted to, that’s completely their preference and I’m all for it. Personal preferences are just that, personal.
Devaluing people using dismissive, pejorative language because they are old (or young), ugly (or pretty) is my issue. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

 

The biggest issue, Nick -- lest you take consolation in the suggestion that someone is trying to force you to go out with a "fugly witch on menopause" -- is less your preferences, than the truly obnoxious and unpleasant language that you're using to describe it.

Although . . . given that I rather suspect that you are no spring chicken yourself, I'm guessing your preferences are pretty moot in reality.

No matter, in SL everyone is young and pretty! And there's no menopause here to harsh your buzz! What a wonderful world, eh?

Oh gawd. I'm loathe to do this, considering the things I have seen Nick post in the past, but... I read his comment about fugly witch on menopause differently (I think). The traditional witch is depicted as ugly, with overgrown chin, moles with hairs, hooked nose, claws... a fugly witch. They also tend to be old, so "on menopause" (what, not after? just during?). So I took him to mean just the stereotypical ugly old witch hag.

BUT, since I have read his past remarks, I won't swear to my reading being accurate. *He* tends to make my skin crawl.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Gatogateau said:

In SL one has to work very hard not to appear to be somewhere between 16 and 28 if one has a female appearing avatar. Almost the same for males, but the older options are out there without such a difficult search.

There are some very unique halloween avatar concepts these days in SL . This one for example.
Amazing concept if you ask me so it really has to do with how far someones imagination can go when it comes to creativity and pass the boundaries of the usual human looking avatars.

50365626538_b5ee12277b_k.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Nick0678 said:
There are some very unique halloween avatar concepts these days in SL . This one for example.
Amazing concept if you ask me so it really has to do with how far someones imagination can go when it comes to creativity and pass the boundaries of the usual human looking avatars.

50365626538_b5ee12277b_k.jpg

Agreed, although I was talking about avatars in general and not Halloween avatars/costumes.  Excellent photo btw, especially the dead bird hanging.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Fauve Aeon said:

Devaluing people using dismissive, pejorative language [...]

   ... Is perhaps not the most exquisite form of communication, but neither is slapping people with '-ism-stickers' the second you disagree with them. I don't intend on defending the offending statement as I frankly don't care all that much myself - but your rhetoric is in line with the type of correctness jargon that is perhaps the most divisive issue of not just political discourse, but is genuinely damaging to both businesses and private persons through its invasive near-omnipresence through the modern reliance on social medias. 

   I'd even argue that your accusations were just as damnably devaluing as the statement that offended you so, as its purpose is to defame the person through sticking a title on them that's supposed to undermine not just their person, but the validity of their opinions and their right to speak their mind.

   Now allow me to reprimand you in the manner one would a small child, as that appears the most appropriate approach to your ilk: you're not going to stop people from being contemptible through being contemptible yourself.

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Orwar said:

 Now allow me to reprimand you in the manner one would a small child, as that appears the most appropriate approach to your ilk: you're not going to stop people from being contemptible through being contemptible yourself.

And in so doing, you just did the same thing that you are chastising. And nope, other than this comment I'm not getting drawn into a food fight over this.

34f6d9988f3fbea147ce41b88075ad6a.jpg

Edited by Gatogateau
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Gatogateau said:

And in so doing, you just did the same thing that you are chastising.

   With the obvious exception that I never claimed to be anything but contemptible? 

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I probably should have left the ‘ism’ words at the door, they’ve really become too much of a red flag and a dog whistle and people have used them far too often to belittle or demean someone’s valid opinion or preference, that’s very accurate. That’s on me. That was not my intention. I’m very much in favor of everyone honoring their feelings and preferences and expressing them freely in their own choices. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with wishing to date a person whom they find sexy. 

But there was no need at all to negatively reference ‘a fugly witch on menopause’ when that damning stereotype has actually cost women their lives in the past so yes, I do take exception to it. 
I’d also have a similar negative reaction if the subject was reversed and the ‘dirty old man’ or ‘young horn dog’ phrases were leveraged dismissively against a man though so there’s that as well. I have considered your words but as far as a reprimand, well I don’t really accept those from strangers so I’ll respectfully decline yours too. 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Get some dummies or mannequins and put them on a conveyor belt near the witch's house.

Witch tries to zap them into pumpkins - doesn't work because they're not real!

Witch thinks people are now immune and goes to another town and we all have pumpkin soup until we're sick 🎃

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/24/2020 at 2:01 PM, Fauve Aeon said:

Such a troll, referencing a 24 year old movie, sexism AND ageism in a ‘just for fun’ thread? Shame on you! You do realize that Fairuza is 46, now right? 

And still as sexy as ever. 

@OP I would invite her in for a cuppa and discuss what ritual she would be doing in a few days, see if she would be inclined to having some extra voices involved. Show her my altar and crystal collection. Oh and my wonderful herb garden. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/24/2020 at 4:10 PM, Fauve Aeon said:

I probably should have left the ‘ism’ words at the door, they’ve really become too much of a red flag and a dog whistle and people have used them far too often to belittle or demean someone’s valid opinion or preference, that’s very accurate. That’s on me. That was not my intention. I’m very much in favor of everyone honoring their feelings and preferences and expressing them freely in their own choices. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with wishing to date a person whom they find sexy. 

But there was no need at all to negatively reference ‘a fugly witch on menopause’ when that damning stereotype has actually cost women their lives in the past so yes, I do take exception to it. 
I’d also have a similar negative reaction if the subject was reversed and the ‘dirty old man’ or ‘young horn dog’ phrases were leveraged dismissively against a man though so there’s that as well. I have considered your words but as far as a reprimand, well I don’t really accept those from strangers so I’ll respectfully decline yours too. 

Witch isms were they? I just got here..

hehehe

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...