How To Guide? Script library? I acquired my Experience, what now?

Jolene Merlin

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1061 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So I'm looking to set up Experiences on a parcel that I own... 

Only I really have absolutely no idea how to do it or what I'm doing.. 

I've read this: https://community.secondlife.com/knowledgebase/english/experiences-in-second-life-r1365/

I've read this: http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Category:Experience_Tools

So what do I do now? 

How do I make my Experience attach a hud to someone? 

Where do I get the hud from and how do I make it do what I want it to do? 

How do I make the experience animate their AV, or tell them to touch an object...

or say I want them to step onto an invisible prim and have it automatically animate or pose their AV in a certain way (considering they click to accept when it asks them permission to animate or pose them), can Experiences do that?

I'm presuming there are special scripts somewhere that I can just use, to do these things?   I sorta hoped that was what that second link was going to be, a library of scripts to use that I could just.. copy and paste... but it wasnt that at all.

I haven't really got my parcel set up just right yet for the Experience, because I don't really know what I'm doing, with the Experience.. I was hoping for a library of pre-made Experience scripts that I could just copy/paste to experiment with, and see what they do and then redesign my Parcel around it all...

I'm pretty sure I want people to arrive at a set landing point ( which I have ) and from there be introduced to the Experience, maybe have a HUD that attaches to them and from there have a couple doorways or portals that lead to other locations on the parcel, that they just a walk into, and whoosh, they're at the other location.  Or maybe have them be required to solve small puzzle or recite a specific phrase in local, to be able to access/use a portal.. or make the portal appear to them when they recite the phrase in local chat.   Can the Experience tell them whether or not I am online? Can it tell them if anyone else is online, like say I have a friend assisting me with things on that parcel, can it tell them if that friend is online?  I know there are scripted online indicators, but can I have them, for example, touch an object or recite a phrase in local chat, and the experience inform them something like.. "this person is not available to respond at this time" ...  Can the Experience be used to detect their Avatar presence at a specific location, or standing on a specific prim..  and the Experience make a temporary object be made visible to them, to interact with .. and then remove/delete that object when they are no longer within that immediate vicinity?  Can I have it make a temporary portal be made visible, for them to use, then remove/delete when they're gone to the new location?

I don't really know anything about scripting and have always just bought a script that does what I want...

So I really have no idea what I can or can not do with Experiences, other then I know it can attach a hud to you, and whisk you to other areas, as I've been to places that do that... and I have a pretty good idea that with Experiences, I can probably restructure my Parcel a bit to have fewer prims used, or at least I'm hoping too... 

Experiences are a content creator tool that typically requires the operator to have scripting ability to design content to their needs.

There isn't much of an market of products to facilitate use cases as those are usually specific and would require open source scripts so end-users can compile scripts with their own experiences.

Many of the things you described don't need an experience to achieve, auto-attaching/teleporting excluded.

• Thanks 1

An "Experience" is, essentially, just a little shortcut for the permission system.

Scripts must normally be granted permission to do something, in specific cases. With an Experience, scripts are always automatically granted those permissions.

Having an Experience doesn't make your job easier when it comes to actually developing scripts, such as auto-attach HUDs and their functions, because an Experience itself can't make the avatar (or object) do anything. Everything is done with regular scripts with special permissions.

• All of the things you've listed can be done without an Experience.
  • Forcing an avatar to sit on an object could be done with the Experience-specific SitOnLink function. It's not a script, it's just one line in a script. The when/where/how is something you'd have to do on your own.
  • Auto-attach HUDs use the AttachToAvatar and AttachToAvatarTemp functions.
Edited by Wulfie Reanimator
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Kyrah Abattoir said:

Ah yes, granting elevated permissions to a black box...

No different that granting prim return perms to closed-source scripted, third party created, prim management tools that have to be deeded or anything that has to be deeded, ftm.

Also, just wearing/rezzing something you didn't create/script constitutes trust that there are nothing nefarious going on in the background.

2 hours ago, Lucia Nightfire said:

No different that granting prim return perms to closed-source scripted, third party created, prim management tools that have to be deeded or anything that has to be deeded, ftm.

Also, just wearing/rezzing something you didn't create/script constitutes trust that there are nothing nefarious going on in the background.

Not quite the same magnitude tho.

What's in it for you?

11 hours ago, Kyrah Abattoir said:

Not quite the same magnitude tho.

That depends on what is at stake.

11 hours ago, Kyrah Abattoir said:

What's in it for you?

The desire to see Experiences used more than they are now.

Most people in SL are not scripters and they already rely on third party scripts/content to facilitate their needs.

This is simply another feature many have asked for.

The only addition that could possibly ease minds is the ability to choose what can be executed, such as KVP r/w or specific perms, but even then, you're still relying on trust as with any other no-mod script.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Kyrah Abattoir said:

You mean an experience owner can decide to only take specific perms?

They would decide what permissions a third party scripted object using llSetExperienceKey() can use and/or if KVP can be used.

The latter is another example why I wish we also have partitioning capability so you can designate a portion of database space an application can r/w to, not the entire database.

• 6 months later...

I do all my complicated stuff in a non-experience script, and then pass the results to an experience script that I leave full perms so others can apply their experience key if they wish.  

Example:

integer iCh = //some random integer; 

{
    state_entry()
    {
        ;
    }

on_rez(integer start_param)
    {
        // On_rez Handling;
    }

changed(integer change)
    {
        // Change Handling
    }

link_message(integer sender_num, integer num, string str, key id)
    {
        if(num == iCh)
        {
            // Link Message Handling;
            llRequestExperiencePermissions(id, "");
        }

}

experience_permissions( key agent_id )
    {
        // Activity Handling;
    }

experience_permissions_denied( key agent_id, integer reason )
    {
        // Error Handling;
    }
}

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1061 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.