Do Not "Uplift"

Jack Skallagrimson

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1258 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 hour ago, Jack Skallagrimson said:

the issue is really, "No, you can't have my stuff", Because I don't even own my stuff!. The world Amazon wants to usher in is one where no one owns anything.[1] I liked knowing where those servers were, that the 'sims' were somewhere, and that gave all the value to this product for me. I have left every other social media, I thought I was safe in my little island over here at least.

You never did own your stuff, ever. What you had was an illusion of self-assurance.

Despite that "you knew where the servers were," you never owned those servers. You never owned your land, you can only rent it. You don't own anything in your inventory. Linden Lab, according to their own TOS, owns all of that data and when the time comes for Second Life to close its doors, everything you "own" will vanish into the void as if it never existed. No refunds either.

Linden Lab allowing Second Life to grow even bigger (did you know they literally ran out of sims?) by migrating their datacenter over to Amazon has made no difference to our circumstances as residents. All assets within Second Life (including your inventory) has been on AWS for years by this point as well.

If you're going to boycott any business that affiliates with Amazon, you're going to have a very, very small world on the internet because they offer such a wide variety of services. Name your top 5 favorite companies or daily activities and I'm sure you'll run into Amazon on at least 3 of them.

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator
  • Like 1

Jack let's make this easy,   aws hosting is cheaper than physical hosting.  LL has 10K plus physical boxes (this is what I was told in 2013)  that's lots of floor space eaten up, that requires,  a massive amount to rent that area in the data center, that requires money to upgrade those machines, that requires paying for hte bandwidth, the power, the cabinets, the hands on,  people to go do updates and such,  with aws,  it's not going to cost them physical space, it's not going to cost them hands on money, they can do everything from their offices, that's so much of a money savings.   

Maybe time to stop and enjoy SL and stop worrying about the underlying hardware aspect of it all.   I even with my own business decided to start uplifting my own machines to aws a year back,  it's cheaper for me, to host everybody on that space, than it is to replace hardware every 2 years or less, depending on the few goverment sites requirements.   this way, I'm on the ball and can meet their exact needs without worrying if I have enough for when the fairs and conventions hit as those sites take huge amounts to go with, since I'm metered connections that's anywhere between 3,000 a month to 9,000 a month depending on load. that comes out of my pocket, aws,  I'm going to be spending I think 150 a year?  just on making sure the sites are reachable and not sapping all my bandwidth.

On 10/22/2020 at 6:25 PM, Jack Skallagrimson said:

I do not trust my information being safe on Amazon's servers

Watch the latest Lab Gab, where Oz & Mazidox explain how keeping users data safe in the cloud is a big priority for LL.  It may ease your mind a little.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Jack Skallagrimson said:

Now I feel as though I have to boycott SL, not that I even want to,

the issue is really, "No, you can't have my stuff", Because I don't even own my stuff!. 

Can I have YOUR stuff?  Properly worded"  "Can I has the usage of your stuff (since none of us own it)?"

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I mean there are other cloud services they could have went to, you have Azure. Which in my opinion, would be a better option. As it's built for things like this. But they found that AWS provided the services they needed. It all comes down to preferences, and LL chose AWS as it met their preferences for what they needed.

8 hours ago, Aishagain said:

It's a sad fact that it is (nearly) impossible to convince a paranoid that anything is safe anywhere.  Let's face it even life is fatal...but who can PROVE it?

there are many in SL,  I could go on about a few of them I know, but,  I do not feel like stirring that drama llama pot.

It's worth remembering that with a substantial number of users from the EU, Linden Lab are subject to EU law on Personal Data. So are Amazon. They have to maintain competent security, no matter where they are.

I do have doubts about the blanket licence for everything we create, because it's not limited to the purposes of Second Life. In theory, they could take all the 3D models I have made and uploaded and sell them on TurboSquid. And that is why TurboSquid doesn't allow you to take content from there and upload it to Second Life.

That current set of terms and conditions is huge and I sometimes wonder if any lawyer, never mind us, can be sure what's in there. It's not just Linden Lab, you should see what Amazon claims to be able to do when you use Kindle Direct Publishing. And I have to do tax paperwork on top of dealing with Amazon.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1258 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.