Jump to content
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 110 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Recommended Posts

Beta Lifer here, I joined SL ~17 years ago

Migrating to Amazon's servers is an injustice. It is a moral imperitive that you do not collaborate with them. You can read about Amazon's corrupt business practice here https://stallman.org/amazon.html

I will be boycotting Second Life until this is undone, I do not trust my information being safe on Amazon's servers. You ought to reflect very seriously about collaborating with corporate fascists during this time, history will remember the decisions you made.

"Our goal has been to move SL incrementally to give ourselves the best chance of minimizing awareness among the residents that these changes were happening." Oz Linden

You can't sneak it by this resident. It's wrong. Stop collaboration, boycot their services. Do Not Uplift.

  • Haha 10
  • Confused 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Personally, I am not a big fan of Amazon. I couldn't care less about "the cloud" because it is just the buzz word for virtual private server. I fully agree, Amazon is *****ty, but what are we to do? Corporate monopolies make it so that alternatives don't stand a chance, so the only other cloud solution for something as big as Second Life is Google who is arguably more *****ty.

Hosting Second Life on premesis isn't practical these days when you can just have instances moved around when a server breaks, and let someone else deal with maintenance.

It is like operating systems, you can use Windows, Mac, or Linux. All of which are corporate controlled to shove agendas down people's throats and remove those they deem impure, less than human, etc. I had switched to Linux to avoid it, but you can't stop corporations from trying to control the world. I'd switch to another OS, but which? I could use the herd kernel with debian port, but no one gets money to speed development along. TempleOS, while based, is really just a hobby. Corporates will not stop until they own everything and make sure no one else can rise to the top.

I've dwelled on this very thing for years now, but I found hope in clown. The world is a circus and the universe is a giant cosmic joke. Embrace the clown and make everything funny.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

da fuq? its not like amazon is going to know your real life info. Everyone soo worried about personal info being shared, only way people can get is if you share it first. Also theres ALOT of fake news these days and conspiracy spreaders, this post looks like one of them

UPLIFT ME!!!!

Edited by VenKellie
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, VenKellie said:

da fuq? its not like amazon is going to know your real life info. Everyone soo worried about personal info being shared, only way people can get is if you share it first. Also theres ALOT of fake news these days and conspiracy spreaders, this post looks like one of them

UPLIFT ME!!!!

As much stuff I've purchased from Amazon, they KNOW my information haha.  Not really woried about that.  I think the OP is just having a moment, because things are changing. Who knows for sure.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it's important for SL to not be tied to a single cloud computing service, regardless of how people feel about Amazon.  Imagine if people in Europe could choose to host their estates on a European service partner, to have less latency for Europeans.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Sayrah Parx said:

I think it's important for SL to not be tied to a single cloud computing service, regardless of how people feel about Amazon.  Imagine if people in Europe could choose to host their estates on a European service partner, to have less latency for Europeans.

Amazon has cloud resources all over the planet, but it wouldn't surprise me if LL also chose to spread out which cloud provider does which processing (Marketplace, LindeX, etc., etc.). Once stuff is ported to AWS it should be much less painful to port it elsewhere. Doesn't seem wise, though, to host different regions on different cloud providers, although spreading them to a single providers different geographic locations might make sense.

As an Amazon shareholder, though, please do lobby your congresscritter to break it up; splitting off AWS will make both companies grow faster and even more completely dominate their respective markets.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Chaser Zaks said:

Personally, I am not a big fan of Amazon. I couldn't care less about "the cloud" because it is just the buzz word for virtual private server. I fully agree, Amazon is *****ty, but what are we to do? Corporate monopolies make it so that alternatives don't stand a chance, so the only other cloud solution for something as big as Second Life is Google who is arguably more *****ty.

Hosting Second Life on premesis isn't practical these days when you can just have instances moved around when a server breaks, and let someone else deal with maintenance.

It is like operating systems, you can use Windows, Mac, or Linux. All of which are corporate controlled to shove agendas down people's throats and remove those they deem impure, less than human, etc. I had switched to Linux to avoid it, but you can't stop corporations from trying to control the world. I'd switch to another OS, but which? I could use the herd kernel with debian port, but no one gets money to speed development along. TempleOS, while based, is really just a hobby. Corporates will not stop until they own everything and make sure no one else can rise to the top.

I've dwelled on this very thing for years now, but I found hope in clown. The world is a circus and the universe is a giant cosmic joke. Embrace the clown and make everything funny.

https://peckford42.wordpress.com/2020/10/20/us-justice-department-takes-google-to-court/

Should be interesting to.follow and see how it's decided.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

That's funny, because about a third of the internet is sitting on AWS. Good luck, and know that Second Life is _definitely_ not going to switch services unless they get bought by Microsoft or Google, in which case it might end up on Azure or GCP.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I see people are drawn to conspiracy theories everywhere, even in Second Life XD

Why do you trust a random personal blog called "Richard Stallman's personal site" where you can find others funny posts like these?:

Link to post
Share on other sites

Literally any US company will sell you out to the gov no matter what they claim.  Almost everything you use was made by exploiting workers. Including the computer you just used to post this. The food you eat.

Cease to exist maybe?

  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/22/2020 at 1:25 PM, Jack Skallagrimson said:

Beta Lifer here, I joined SL ~17 years ago

Migrating to Amazon's servers is an injustice. It is a moral imperitive that you do not collaborate with them. You can read about Amazon's corrupt business practice here https://stallman.org/amazon.html

I will be boycotting Second Life until this is undone, I do not trust my information being safe on Amazon's servers. You ought to reflect very seriously about collaborating with corporate fascists during this time, history will remember the decisions you made.

"Our goal has been to move SL incrementally to give ourselves the best chance of minimizing awareness among the residents that these changes were happening." Oz Linden

You can't sneak it by this resident. It's wrong. Stop collaboration, boycot their services. Do Not Uplift.

 

On 10/22/2020 at 1:27 PM, Whirly Fizzle said:

Can I have your stuff?

You beat me!

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't mean to stir the pot here again, I know that the whole world is preoccupied by something else right at this very moment,

just posting that OP did indeed have a moment, & just so it is clarified, there is absolutely nothing wrong, in my estimation, about Linden Labs products, practices or staff,  this is coming from a place of love and attachment to an online game that I thought would be a part of my life forever. Now I feel as though I have to boycott SL, not that I even want to, my little parcel of land has a view of an endless horizon, I could sit in SL building my dream home for a whole other lifetime. I am boycotting Amazon simply because  I find it unethical to hand my money over to a trillionare, for the sake of 'convenience', during this time, by where it's going, when I know how they treat their workers and what their 'cloud services' means for privacy and security.

I can't be a part of that direction that internet corporations take for personal, ethical reasons, I am sorry I presented it like a gatekeeping statement, I don't mean to alienate people from discussion, I think this is a community issue. I think it's pretty serious to consider, I know that 'one person leaving SL' isn't going to be the stopping force against a giant corporation, the issue is really, "No, you can't have my stuff", Because I don't even own my stuff!. The world Amazon wants to usher in is one where no one owns anything.[1] I liked knowing where those servers were, that the 'sims' were somewhere, and that gave all the value to this product for me. I have left every other social media, I thought I was safe in my little island over here at least.

I am going to go by saying that I realized that it really sucks for me because SL is a really integral in my life, I will always have some project to work on in SL, maybe I just finally need to fully commit to OpenSim at some point, I know there are amazing people that play, I respect the people who made it possible, it seems trivial but one thing I was always counting on was that those servers would be those servers... Not that this game is bad.

[1] Search for information using sources which respect your privacy before coming to your own conclusions about what the ''right' or 'wrong' stance is when considering taking actions or non-actions against entrenched corporate empires.

Link to post
Share on other sites
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 110 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...