Form W-9 request

Lindal Kidd

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1273 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I got a request, apparently from LL, to electronically complete an IRS form W-9, request for taxpayer information number.  I seem to have lost it, and it gave me 14 days to respond.

• Was it an actual request from LL?
  • If so, how do I access it again?  I can't find anything in my emails.
  • If legitimate, why is LL asking me this?  I haven't done a process credit transaction in ten years.
  • I tried to file a Support Case, but the website is giving me a "cannot reach that site" error message.

EDIT:  Never mind, I found it.  I still don't know why LL needs it though.

Edited by Lindal Kidd

19 answers to this question

1 hour ago, Lindal Kidd said:

I still don't know why LL needs it though.

When you receive more than X amount of money from them, the IRS requires LL to file a 1099 form to report your "earnings".  They obviously need your SSN to complete that filing. I'm not sure why they want a W-9 specifically, unless you are an employee, but that's certainly one way for them to get your SSN.

7 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Yeah, but I haven't received money from them.  Only $L stipends, which are "tokens with no monetary value".  And I haven't made any withdrawals.

Until you are 100% sure it is legit, I sure wouldn't do it. Even though Support may be down or wonky, this sounds like something that you could actually call Billing about.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Yeah, but I haven't received money from them.  Only $L stipends, which are "tokens with no monetary value".  And I haven't made any withdrawals.

MAKE SIRE IT IS REALLY Linden Lab.  Call up the office. Ask in support.  Schemes are abounding in real life seemingly exponentially.   Everyone in my area (a small town) is getting robo calls and calls from those cattle farm type places about all sorts of things.    I would DEFINITELY not give out my SSN unless I was really really sure (and for me not even then LOL) that it was Linden Lab (Tilia) that "needed" it. As you say, there really is no reason that they do. AND if they were asking a ton of folks about this it would have appeared on these forums.

Odd that they should contact you for this. Many of my customers will request our business W-9 for our tax I.D. number. Since you don't provide services for Linden Labs or receive payment from them, I can't think of any legitimate reason they would have for asking for it. Maybe somewhere in the dark morass of business files they mistook you for a vendor?

The email I got said it was based on "Linden sells".  I do sell $L that I receive from tenants as rental payments every month to pay my tier, but I haven't done any process credit transactions in years.  I'd've thought that the IRS would only be interested in those.  Still waiting on a response to my support ticket.

7 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

The email I got said it was based on "Linden sells".  I do sell $L that I receive from tenants as rental payments every month to pay my tier, but I haven't done any process credit transactions in years.  I'd've thought that the IRS would only be interested in those.  Still waiting on a response to my support ticket.

i have wondered about this myself. If the L$ is converted to USD and the USD is then used to purchase services from Linden (tier) then is this a trade activity. As income for Linden I think it would be, and I suppose it could be also for the resident being that it takes two parties to constitute a trade. Altho for the resident it would be an expenditure and not income 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1273 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.