Suggestion: Add Emojis buttons to viewer!!

ItSaulGood

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1274 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 hour ago, Odaks said:

I can understand the arguments for moving with the times, attracting younger users etc., but despair of the way in which technology drives us to modify our behaviour to suit the technology. One result is an inevitable dumbing down of language, which increases our ability to communicate rapidly but seriously decreases our abilities to communicate effectively.

It was the deficiencies of the technology that spurred the situation on. When the number of characters you were permitted to use was severely limited, the use of abbreviations became essential. The use of other ASCII characters to represent emotions was probably a natural extension. These deficiencies no longer exist but the deficient languages persist, despite there being no need for them to do so.

We have seen the folly of emoji use on many occasions in this forum; examples are surely not required here. Perhaps one example, in general terms, may be worth examination though. Consider the following responses:-

* That was so funny; I nearly split my sides! 

* I couldn't help giving a wry smile to that.

* That was so ridiculous that it was just laughable.

* I shouldn't really laugh at that but it was funny!

OR

😃 instead?

I suspect that emojis are here to stay but you no longer have to use them. You are now free to say exactly what you mean, if you are up to the challenge.

yes you would loose some of the context of what was being said, but see the point is you would get to chose who you talk to anyways and just could stay away from those that used them.

you can already use them, just not in the simple click manner. you can still just type them out.. so its not really that much of a change or additions, just that each client would need a button or to add the image for the emoji to the viewer.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Anna Nova said:

I am very grapefruit grateful (don't you just HATE tiepin typing predictors, and spillchuckers spellcheckers) to you for sending this reply.  Oh, and by the way, Oral Communication should not be construed to mean tutorial videos on YouTube, instead of proper documentation.

If our biggest complaint is that the young 'uns are relying too heavily on spellcheck, or having to consult the Perdue OWL site frequently for guidance on the documentation of sources -- well, I'd say the kids are alright.

Personally, I'd much rather see them developing their skills for critical thinking -- an area in which their "elders," who after all elected and in many cases continue to support the current crop of inveterate liars and hucksters, have proven all too deficient. And the older generations have managed to turn governance into a train wreck without any help at all from emojis.

A simple AI can remind me how to spell "buffoon" when I need it, but it's not so adept at providing the wisdom to avoid voting for one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Solar Legion said:

Further, "emojis" need to stay as far away from in Viewer chat as possible. The ASCII "art" emotes are bad enough in places.

If emojis slow the use of ASCII art emotes, then I am all for it. They are certainly less intrusive as long as it is just the small ones. We supposedly want the viewers updated and yet complain when anyone makes suggestions for doing so.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

22 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

If emojis slow the use of ASCII art emotes, then I am all for it. They are certainly less intrusive as long as it is just the small ones. We supposedly want the viewers updated and yet complain when anyone makes suggestions for doing so.

Adding in Emojis is not an "update" of any sort.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

Adding in Emojis is not an "update" of any sort.

Considering how often you use them in the forums for your reactions, I would think it would be even for you.😁

P.S If people are actually starting to use Discord in S/L for the ability to have some simple text options, then it really might be an idea to look at updating something that should be reasonably simple to add.

Edited by Arielle Popstar
Added P.S
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Considering how often you use them in the forums for your reactions, I would think it would be even for you.😁

P.S If people are actually starting to use Discord in S/L for the ability to have some simple text options, then it really might be an idea to look at updating something that should be reasonably simple to add.

Forum Reactions are not Emojis - and yes, that is a hair I am willing to split.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Arielle Popstar said:

I think they're using it more for group chat.  Quite of few of my groups have sent out their discord whatchamacallits.  Groups of friends at different venues will be all talking in discord too which just lags up the place with bodies who aren't even engaging with others.  

• Like 3

It has come up here on the forums multiple times and at at least one TPV user meeting in the past. Thanks to @Inara Pey 's tireless efforts it was super easy to dig up what I only vaguely recollected. It was discussed at a  third party viewer meeting, May 2019. Summarized here: https://modemworld.me/2019/05/18/2019-sl-user-groups-20-3-tpv-developer-meeting/ ... (Note for forum curmudgeons who don't click through, it was specifically stated that emoji in display names was NOT on the table.) There was also a thread in which Catznip developer @Kitty Barnett discussed efforts to develop this feature.  See below. I still hope it will happen somehow!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

simple solution some write up their own tpv that has emoji in it. then make it available and see how many download and install and use it, then the real question being missed will be answered. how many want it and how many would use it regardless of what some minorities on the forums say.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Drakonadrgora Darkfold said:

simple solution some write up their own tpv that has emoji in it. then make it available and see how many download and install and use it, then the real question being missed will be answered. how many want it and how many would use it regardless of what some minorities on the forums say.

But wouldn't both the sending and  receiving viewer need to support it?

• Like 3

Yep, so that is where word of mouth would come in and how well you could convince your friends to convert over to the different tpv, thus raising its use numbers and thus making other tpv developers realize if they want their users back, they better think on adding it too or loose users.

Unless it really only mattered to the one using it and they didnt care if others seen it correctly or not.

Edited by Drakonadrgora Darkfold
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Arielle Popstar said:

we also got along without mesh avatars, bento, animesh, EEP, and a host of other features added in the past 20 years that we would not want to live without today and which were all objected against initially.

And some of us are still doing perfectly fine.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1274 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.