Suggestion: Add Emojis buttons to viewer!!

ItSaulGood

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1281 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Welcome to the Forum ItSaulGood🥰

You can share your Ideas here in the feedback section to get a better chance it will be seen and taken into consideration . or In viewer you have options to add in certain buttons for google type Emojis you can save them to use anytime.

Surely Legion or others will have a better answer then me 🙂

Edited by Sassy Kenin

40 minutes ago, Sassy Kenin said:

Welcome to the Forum ItSaulGood🥰

You can share your Ideas here in the feedback section to get a better chance it will be seen and taken into consideration . or In viewer you have options to add in certain buttons for google type Emojis you can save them to use anytime.

Surely Legion or others will have a better answer then me 🙂

That section is not for Viewer feature requests - that is the purview of the JIRA.

Further, "emojis" need to stay as far away from in Viewer chat as possible. The ASCII "art" emotes are bad enough in places.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

That section is not for Viewer feature requests - that is the purview of the JIRA.

Further, "emojis" need to stay as far away from in Viewer chat as possible. The ASCII "art" emotes are bad enough in places.

I knew you had a better answer  🤡

• Haha 1

I think it would be great to expunge emojis (and cellphones) from the universe and teach people to write with a proper pen on proper parchment.  Expressing yourself with whole sentences is becoming a lost art.  I suspect, strongly, that humans are getting less intelligent by approximately 5%/4 years.  Every 4th year anniversary intelligence steps down for vast swathes of humanity, and it's all the fault of cellphones, twitter, and <expletive deleted> emojis.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Anna Nova said:

I think it would be great to expunge emojis (and cellphones) from the universe and teach people to write with a proper pen on proper parchment.  Expressing yourself with whole sentences is becoming a lost art.  I suspect, strongly, that humans are getting less intelligent by approximately 5%/4 years.  Every 4th year anniversary intelligence steps down for vast swathes of humanity, and it's all the fault of cellphones, twitter, and <expletive deleted> emojis.

Oh, it's waaaay too late. The dumbing down began over 2,500 years ago!

And so it is that you by reason of your tender regard for the writing that is your offspring have declared the very opposite of its true effect. If men learn this, it will implant forgetfulness in their souls. They will cease to exercise memory because they rely on that which is written, calling things to remembrance no longer from within themselves, but by means of external marks.

What you have discovered is a recipe not for memory, but for reminder. And it is no true wisdom that you offer your disciples, but only the semblance of wisdom, for by telling them of many things without teaching them you will make them seem to know much while for the most part they know nothing. And as men filled not with wisdom but with the conceit of wisdom they will be a burden to their fellows. (from Plato, Phaedrus)

(Plato's full argument against the written word is a bit more complicated than this implies: he also argues against the written word because it is static and dead, as opposed to oral communication. You can't argue with a book or change its mind.)

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
Duuuuh

7 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

(Plato's full argument against the written word is a bit more complicated than this implies: he also argues that the written word because it is static and dead, as opposed to oral communication. You can't argue with a book or change its mind.)

Ironic in that we probably wouldn't have known he'd said that if he hadn't written it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

7 minutes ago, RowanMinx said:

Ironic in that we probably wouldn't have known he'd said that if he hadn't written it.

Yeah.

He also hated literature (which he called "a copy of a copy," while likening poets to madmen), but chose a literary form --fictionalized dialogues -- to present his case.

Plato was a crank.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

(Plato's full argument against the written word is a bit more complicated than this implies: he also argues that the written word because it is static and dead, as opposed to oral communication. You can't argue with a book or change its mind.)

I am very grapefruit grateful (don't you just HATE tiepin typing predictors, and spillchuckers spellcheckers) to you for sending this reply.  Oh, and by the way, Oral Communication should not be construed to mean tutorial videos on YouTube, instead of proper documentation.

I'm not opposed to it. Would certainly keep more people using SL chat rather than an alternative and keep a lot of new users happy. IE move with the times.

For all those not wanting to see them, why couldn't they just have the option to toggle their visibility. Either entirely make them appear and disappear or make it so if you want them off they turn into the text variant we use for shortcuts. Not like people don't see 'D:' or ':P' everywhere in SL chat anyway.

It is not that hard to keep both sides new and existing happy. Better to do that and increase SL's userbase with newer people than keep it stagnant with only its existing userbase.

Personally im more sick of seeing the shortcut versions or people posting horrible ASCII versions than I would seeing the ones like here in the forums.

Edited by Drayke Newall
  • Like 6
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

this would be valid if it wouldn't bring more infantile behaviour up in "adults"

True, however SL hasn't solely been aimed at adults since they joined the teen grid to the main grid. Both parties have to be catered to and not doing that is what is impacting on SL's growth. If adults want to act infantile who am i to stop them.

Most of the things that can be put in place to allow for both sides to be happy that are current trends can and should be customisable with enable and disable commands.

Edited by Drayke Newall
  • Like 3

On this I am split in choice for several reasons. having them would allow greater freedom of expression for some people those who dont prefer to write every single thing out in in text. "smiles, laughs, cries," etc..

but on the other side I can see where this could become abused and over used by a lot of people, especially in gestures and other things.

• Like 5

I can understand the arguments for moving with the times, attracting younger users etc., but despair of the way in which technology drives us to modify our behaviour to suit the technology. One result is an inevitable dumbing down of language, which increases our ability to communicate rapidly but seriously decreases our abilities to communicate effectively.

It was the deficiencies of the technology that spurred the situation on. When the number of characters you were permitted to use was severely limited, the use of abbreviations became essential. The use of other ASCII characters to represent emotions was probably a natural extension. These deficiencies no longer exist but the deficient languages persist, despite there being no need for them to do so.

We have seen the folly of emoji use on many occasions in this forum; examples are surely not required here. Perhaps one example, in general terms, may be worth examination though. Consider the following responses:-

* That was so funny; I nearly split my sides! 

* I couldn't help giving a wry smile to that.

* That was so ridiculous that it was just laughable.

* I shouldn't really laugh at that but it was funny!

OR

😃 instead?

I suspect that emojis are here to stay but you no longer have to use them. You are now free to say exactly what you mean, if you are up to the challenge.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1281 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.