2020 an SL noob’s first impressions...

Fauve Aeon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1267 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

48 minutes ago, Dafadilia Wayfarer said:

I found her adorable! She is so youthful and enthusiastic. It's nice to see a younger generation checking out Second Life. I know I've read her voice is annoying. I can't hear her so have no idea. She just seems to be having fun and being silly. It is also interesting to see Second Life through someone who is learning how things work.

A bit nostalgic.

I completely agree with this. I probably shouldn't be so hard on the kid. Just for one the way she does her voice she just reminded me of the girl at the beginning of that old rap video Baby Got Back. lol And for two I consider myself generally good at reading people given my former profession. I think she has a lot more intelligence then what she portrays in her videos. There are subtle hints I picked up on listening to her talk just for that short time and it's just a pet peeve of mine when smart people try to talk dumb or act all ghetto. Well in her case valley girl ghetto. lol I simply just can't stand it mate. lol I think she should just be herself and not try to hide her intelligence for the sake of views or to appeal to certain ignorant audiences. That's just me though. I hope she has fun though. I wish her all the best of luck. :)

Edited by Velk Kerang
Corrections.
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, Dafadilia Wayfarer said:

It is also interesting to see Second Life through someone who is learning how things work.

That’s the reason I started the thread, I feel the same way. I’m enjoying these so much. Do I agree with everything and love each presentation? No...but it’s not a deal breaker either. I don’t see youtube ads and I skim, skip about and speed-watch longer content. 

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, Velk Kerang said:

I completely agree with this. I probably shouldn't be so hard on the kid. Just for one the way she does her voice she just reminded me of the girl at the beginning of that old rap video Baby Got Back. lol And for two I consider myself generally good at reading people given my former profession. I think she has a lot more intelligence then what she portrays in her videos. There are subtle hints I picked up on listening to her talk just for that short time and it's just a pet peeve of mine when smart people try to talk dumb or act all ghetto. Well in her case valley girl ghetto. lol I simply just can't stand it mate. lol I think she should just be herself and not try to hide her intelligence for the sake of views or to appeal to certain ignorant audiences. That's just me though. I hope she has fun though. I wish her all the best of luck. :)

I'm deaf so have no idea what she sounds like. From her actions and commentary through closed caption, she simply seems to be enjoying herself. If being this way makes her happy, I find that completely acceptable. She isn't hurting anyone by doing so. I think she is putting a fresh perspective on Second Life to a younger generation who watches her. Besides that, she has enough self awareness and maturity where she can actually laugh at herself. She doesn't take herself too seriously. That I admire in itself.

13 minutes ago, Fauve Aeon said:

That’s the reason I started the thread, I feel the same way. I’m enjoying these so much. Do I agree with everything and love each presentation? No...but it’s not a deal breaker either. I don’t see youtube ads and I skim, skip about and speed-watch longer content. 

Exactly! My personality is much more conservative to an extent, but it really is fascinating to watch her learning and actually enjoying her journey doing so. I've watched a few of her other videos and although some make me cringe, what is important is she is having fun.

I needed to add that this has been an enjoyable thread to read through! Great idea! Plus it's good to see you back in the forums. :)

Edited by Dafadilia Wayfarer
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Dafadilia Wayfarer said:

I'm deaf so have no idea what she sounds like. From her actions and commentary through closed caption, she simply seems to be enjoying herself. If being this way makes her happy, I find that completely acceptable. She isn't hurting anyone by doing so. I think she is putting a fresh perspective on Second Life to a younger generation who watches her. Besides that, she has enough self awareness and maturity where she can actually laugh at herself. That I admire in itself.

I picked up on that and from your point of view I'd be saying the same thing. I still kind of am. Since I can hear her and the subtle changes in her accent and the subtle slips of knowing exactly what she is doing and then suddenly catching herself and acting all duh about it I feel fairly safe in saying it's all part of an act. She's putting on a show obviously. I never said she wasn't having fun doing it. I am not even saying it's not a good thing she is giving a fresh perspective to younger audiences as long as they are not to young. What I am saying is this kid is smarter then she acts and she should just be herself. I don't see anything wrong with that. If anything it's a compliment. lol ;)

Edited by Velk Kerang
Corrections.

1 hour ago, Velk Kerang said:

this kid is smarter then she acts 

She acts very smart. There's just been an assumption for a long time that young women, especially pretty ones with brightly coloured hair and high voices, are stupid and vapid by default. Her generation is more switched on to this kind of misogyny and it's great to see it being torn asunder like the steaming pile of codswallop that it is.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5
  • Confused 1

12 minutes ago, Amina Sopwith said:

She acts very smart. There's just been an assumption for a long time that young women, especially pretty ones with brightly coloured hair and high voices, are stupid and vapid by default. Her generation is more switched on to this kind of misogyny and it's great to see it being torn asunder like the steaming pile of codswallop that it is.

No she absolutely does not. lol Acting all valley girl ghetto contrary to popular belief is absolutely not the new smart. lol And news flash most people who throw the word misogyny around rarely know what it actually means. In fact it doesn't even apply to this conversation topic. lol I am not even going to get in to that debate with you though. You want to try and force fit it in there some where then you have fun and good luck with that. lol I knew it was only a matter of time before I seen that word thrown around on these forums again since I've been back. lol Thanks for the laugh though mate. That absolutely made my day. Lmao!!!! :D

3 minutes ago, Velk Kerang said:

And news flash most people who throw the word misogyny around rarely know what it actually means.

Please do enlighten us?

I haven't been mansplained to in . . . well, hours! Those of us of the female persuasion would love to hear what "misogyny" really means . . . from an "expert."

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
  • Like 7

Just now, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Please do enlighten us?

I haven't been mansplained to in . . . well, hours! Those of us of the female persuasion would love to hear what "misogyny" really means . . . from an "expert."

There's that made up word mansplained again. lol Nah I'm good. The hate all things man feminist boob brigade can get along fine with out me mate. I'm sure it would be more well received anyway if one of the more educated ladies womansplained it to ya'll anyway. lol I am so not doing this today. Have a nice day and stay safe all. Lmao!!!! :D

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Velk Kerang said:

The hate all things man feminist boob brigade

I literally don't know anyone here who fits this description.

I'm sure it would be more well received anyway if one of the more educated ladies womansplained it to ya'll anyway. lol I am so not doing this today. Have a nice day and stay safe all. Lmao!!!!

Just a thought, but I think your ideas and thoughts might be more effective if you didn't try so hard to sound like one of those dumb male redneck hicks? Clearly, you're not unintelligent, so why do you make such an effort to sound "dumb"?

This might go over well with the younger set, but really -- just be yourself! Why sound like a boopsie if you don't have to?

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I literally don't know anyone here who fits this description.

Well most people who fart don't always smell it either. Same rule applies mate. ;)

4 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Just a thought, but I think your ideas and thoughts might be more effective if you didn't try so hard to sound like one of those dumb male redneck hicks? Clearly, you're not unintelligent, so why do you make such an effort to sound "dumb"?

This might go over well with the younger set, but really -- just be yourself! Why sound like a boopsie if you don't have to?

Well you certainly get points for effort on trying to turn around and flip and twist what I said about the kid in the video on me. Ya just didn't score though. Better luck next time. Thank you for playing though. :)

5 minutes ago, RowanMinx said:

popcorn.gif

Yeah, sorry Rowan. I don't think it's worth my time taking on someone who thinks that this is a decisive blow:

Well most people who fart don't always smell it either. Same rule applies mate.

Velk, I apologize for insinuating that you were merely acting like a dumb redneck.

• Like 5

I wish there had been some male noobs making a video too. Or better yet, several someones besides only ‘identifying as female’ people. For me it’s just good to see all the new user experience videos popping up. 
I really have had a lot of fun in SL but over the last year, I’ve kind of hit a low point with it so these types of videos make me ponder on ‘if I were just starting SL today, with no previous SL experience to inform my choices, what would I want to do?’

I think that question might be a good one for some other people to ask too, and to be able to see a glimpse of SL through fresh eyes? That’s the point, not ‘how someone acts on video stream’.  (Or what anyone else thinks about it). (Or what someone else thinks about what someone thinks about THAT). 

Edit: we all agree that there are so very many kinds of people using SL for really different reasons so isn’t this just more of that? 

Edited by Fauve Aeon
  • Like 2

I liked the videos. I mean even as an experienced builder I had no idea how to create a new mesh human appearance as I'm always running around as a little cat or a tree. She made the process look pretty easy though.

Edited by Luna Bliss
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Fauve Aeon said:

I wish there had been some male noobs making a video too. Or better yet, anyone besides ‘identifying as female’ people. For me it’s just good to see new user experience. 
I really have had a lot of fun in SL but over the last year, I’ve kind of hit a low point with it so these types of videos make me ponder on ‘if I were just starting SL today, with no previous SL experience to inform my choices, what would I want to do?’

I think that question might be a good one for some other people to ask too, and to be able to see a glimpse of SL through fresh eyes? That’s the point, not ‘how someone acts on video stream’.  (Or what anyone else thinks about it). (Or what someone else thinks about what someone thinks about THAT). 

I agree completely with all of this. One larger issue, however, that is sometimes evident when we talk about adding new features that are designed to appeal to "younger users" (whatever that means), is that the existing demographic of SL tends, on the whole, to be older and, maybe more importantly, rather set it its notions about what SL is "for" (and this, in turn, tends to be a revenant of the platform ca. 2008 or even earlier). For another recent instance of this, look at the "emoji" thread. The Ageism and porch-stick-shaking is rampant.

And it's a shame, because this platform is old and creaky, and I don't just mean in terms of its technology.

I'd love to see more refreshing insights -- from young or old, men or women -- about how SL can serve users with different interests, coming from different cultural milieus, and so forth. That's the real value of this video, I think, beyond its possible uses for recruitment. It's a fresh look at the potential of SL, which is nowhere near exhausted by what we oldsters have been doing here.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

No she absolutely does not. lol Acting all valley girl ghetto contrary to popular belief is absolutely not the new smart. lol And news flash most people who throw the word misogyny around rarely know what it actually means. In fact it doesn't even apply to this conversation topic. lol I am not even going to get in to that debate with you though. You want to try and force fit it in there some where then you have fun and good luck with that. lol I knew it was only a matter of time before I seen that word thrown around on these forums again since I've been back. lol Thanks for the laugh though mate. That absolutely made my day. Lmao!!!! :D

Just to remind you, ladies and gentlemen, this post was intended to establish the poster as someone who is qualified to make the judgement on whether or not someone comes across as clever, and on what constitutes misogyny. Even if you haven't had the pleasure of his previous gems to give it context, this stands alone.

• Haha 1

When I see ‘appeals to younger users’ I always count myself in and I suspect I always will. It’s not an SL thing, it’s a perception thing. My join date is early 2008 yet I’ve never been part of the ‘older SL crowd’ (regardless of anyone’s RL or SL age) and I’m still not.  If the only avi someone has is older than hm maybe 5 years...they usually begin to identify more as oldbie. I’m treated a little different in this avi by those who joined 5 or more years after me and I’ve been told that many people do encounter (and now expect) that whole ‘get off my  lawn’ attitude. Which is why I don’t trot Fauve out that much anymore unless I need to. It’s a shame too, she’s got the weirdest fun clothes. 🤣

That fresh look at SL is key for a lot of reasons. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Fauve Aeon said:

I wish there had been some male noobs making a video too.

Honestly I would have said the same thing had it been a man and I have before actually. My initial comments honestly had absolutely nothing to do with the Youtuber being a female. I seriously doubt if had been a man some of the comments after my initial one dropped wouldn't have even happened. Some people look for any excuse to take it there though I guess. 🙄

1 hour ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Please do enlighten us?

There's that made up word mansplained again. lol Nah I'm good.

You both made your bed! now lay in it!

humor-troll-face-guy-for-annoying-popula

Edited by Sassy Kenin
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Velk Kerang said:

Honestly I would have said the same thing

Maybe just look at people’s experience in the world as ‘theirs’ and don’t feel the need to judge it or wish it was different than what it is? For whatever reason, people are making videos of their experiences and you (and several people besides you) felt the need to comment on things beside that. I’m not sure why... but for me it was surprising and it did feel quite, well, judge-y. I was that naive in my teens and very early 20’s and I was judged for it. It’s not a good feeling. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Sassy Kenin said:

You both made your bed! now lay in it!

humor-troll-face-guy-for-annoying-popula

I remember that video. To bad it ended just as the conversation was starting to get good. Lmao!!!! :D

12 minutes ago, Fauve Aeon said:

Maybe just look at people’s experience in the world as ‘theirs’ and don’t feel the need to judge it or wish it was different than what it is? For whatever reason, people are making videos of their experiences and you (and several people besides you) felt the need to comment on things beside that. I’m not sure why... but for me it was surprising and it did feel quite, well, judge-y. I was that naive in my teens and very early 20’s and I was judged for it. It’s not a good feeling. 

Just a correction on one thing. I wasn't judging her mate. I shared an opinion. That was really it. To be honest it really is no different then catching one of your kids acting a certain way and letting them know they are smarter then that. Every parent has done it. Correction every good parent has done it. Idiot parents let their kids stay acting stupid. My point being my initial thoughts didn't really go beyond the scope of looking at the equivalent of a kid playing the role of class clown to win friends over and picking up on the fact that she is way smarter then she is letting on. It really has nothing to do with looking at their experience one way or the other past that. :)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1267 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.