2020 an SL noob’s first impressions...

Fauve Aeon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1230 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Yes, she's highlighted some of the roadblocks to new avatars, and I love that she pointed out the importance of tutorials with avatar customization.

Linden Lab, we really need more "official" help with the appearance issue for newbies.  I know it can be problematic with all the different brands and the desire not to show favoritism, but avatar customization is huge for retention of new residents.  Shoot, the ability to adequately customize my avatar is a large reason why Second Life is my favorite virtual grid.  I feel most "me" here... so here is where I stay and drop my actual RL cash.

Edited by Ajay McDowwll
Wording is important.
  • Like 6

She has done 10 videos on SL. None with under 30k views. Most are her fans ofc but also look at the engagement numbers...that’s at least partially due to the content And many of the comments are about SL. Her SL interests aren’t my interests nor maybe your interests...but imagine if more people made SL videos and other content about their own interests and not just the typical SL ‘sponsored’ blogging.

I happen to like SL videos though and can laugh at (and along with) them. I relate in many ways. Just some Thursday thoughts. I wonder...well I wonder lots of things but I think I’ll go get some breakfast and watch the rest of her SL vids and see what I can see.
63E0AD91-AEA3-4169-AC54-D099B3625E4B.jpeg.f82743d18430b5f1ae55949944939cd4.jpeg

edit: I do appreciate the bloggers that have blogged SL content diligently for so long (both important issues and Very Fun Things)...there are amazing blogs with impressive bodies of work, intelligent commentary and engaging topics, and they DO cover so much and have for years!  I read and rely on them, believe me. I just also wish there were more and in expanded formats. And I’m also wondering what I might want to do too, and in what format. 

Edited by Fauve Aeon
Clarity
  • Like 8

14 minutes ago, Ajay McDowwll said:

Yes, she's highlighted some of the roadblocks to new avatars, and I love that she pointed out the importance of tutorials with avatar customization.

Linden Lab, we really need more "official" help with the appearance issue for newbies.  I know it can be problematic with all the different brands and the desire not to show favoritism, but avatar customization is huge for retention of new residents.  Shoot, the ability to adequately customize my avatar is a large reason why Second Life is my favorite virtual grid.  I feel most "me" here... so here is where I stay and drop my actual RL cash.

I agree totally that LL needs to make their own official 'getting started' video done by perhaps @Strawberry Linden.  They help a lot of new people but only if someone point them in the right direction inworld.  Perhaps a link on the sign up page to these videos?  (no idea what's on that page anymore)  A toolbar button to take them back to those videos once they're in here and trying to work through it?  It would be helpful as a popup like the browser instead of going back and forth to an external browser and following instructions.  I know @animatshas said they're working on a package for new people but to be honest, those items will only be useful until they see 589495849 other people who look just like them.  Letting them in on some information, thoughtfully presented in a video, before they enter might make it less overwhelming when they do enter.

• Like 5

This is gold, and LL are fools if they are not paying attention to it.

Yeah, she's not my thing at all, but she's funny, adventurous, and pretty bright (a lot of the boopsie stuff is pretty clearly a put-on persona). And she's providing some real insight here into some of the issues surrounding the new user experience, all the while providing publicity for the platform of the sort that money literally can't buy.

You go, girl.

• Like 12

29 minutes ago, RowanMinx said:

I agree totally that LL needs to make their own official 'getting started' video done by perhaps @Strawberry Linden.  They help a lot of new people but only if someone point them in the right direction inworld.  Perhaps a link on the sign up page to these videos?  (no idea what's on that page anymore)  A toolbar button to take them back to those videos once they're in here and trying to work through it?  It would be helpful as a popup like the browser instead of going back and forth to an external browser and following instructions.  I know @animatshas said they're working on a package for new people but to be honest, those items will only be useful until they see 589495849 other people who look just like them.  Letting them in on some information, thoughtfully presented in a video, before they enter might make it less overwhelming when they do enter.

They already did and with Strawberry Linden it's 5 New tutorial Videos:

Edited by seeno29

30 minutes ago, RowanMinx said:

There's no real link to new resident resources on the sign-up page.  I created a new alt in July (I thought it was earlier, but I just checked her birthdate -- yikes!) in large part to see what the New Resident experience was like.  On the plus side, I learned some things about cam controls I hadn't known prior (like ctrl+alt+ drag LMB allows you to rotate around a selected object), so that was pretty cool :)  But on the downside, any information about avatar customization is still very limited, to the point where it's not much help outside of understanding the basic controls. 

Don't get me wrong, you need the knowledge about how to access sliders and everything simply for editing your avatar; however, the majority of people are going to want to go mesh at some point, some sooner rather than later.  And for some, asking people inworld rather than consulting an easily accessible tutorial is a barrier to that process.

Strawberry Linden's skills in helping people learn to navigate in and adapt to Second Life are excellent.  I'd love to see something like what you suggested happen.  EDITED TO ADD:  @seeno29, thank you for posting that tutorial!  It would be awesome if it were linked on the sign-up page and in the inworld New User areas. 

Edited by Ajay McDowwll
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, seeno29 said:

They already did and with Strawberry Linden:

Yes but is it available when you first log in and are going through the process?  I know she's done them and they're quite helpful but new users need to seek them out if they aren't readily available at the new user portal.  Then having those same videos available as a toolbar button they could refer back to as needed.

• Like 7

LOL, I like her! She did some really funny GTA ones. She actually reminds me of someone I used to know on SL 😂

There are a few vids where she encounters players making really sexist sexual comments, or someone who seems really lonely or seriously depressed on mic, and she breaks character. 

• Like 8

1 minute ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

This was in SL? Or IMVU and The Sims?

They were GTA ones...one is where she is surrounded by a gang of guys who are making really vile comments about her. There is a funny bit where one of them gets defensive and says "I know a girl actually" and she says "Oh I am sooo impressed for you...is it your mu-vvva?" in her accent lol. But then she has a break segment and says that's what lots of girls have to put up with on GTA and why some don't bother playing anymore.

In other one she was an anime neko and got sent to prison and a guy tried to chat her up and said he was really lonely and couldn't meet anyone, and they ended up just having a conversation - she told him not to get hung up on it. I can't remember the names of the videos now, she has done so many...

I think it'll be cool if she sticks around SL for a while. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Rat Luv said:

They were GTA ones...one is where she is surrounded by a gang of guys who are making really vile comments about her. There is a funny bit where one of them gets defensive and says "I know a girl actually" and she says "Oh I am sooo impressed for you...is it your mu-vvva?" in her accent lol. But then she has a break segment and says that's what lots of girls have to put up with on GTA and why some don't bother playing anymore.

In other one she was an anime neko and got sent to prison and a guy tried to chat her up and said he was really lonely and couldn't meet anyone, and they ended up just having a conversation - she told him not to get hung up on it. I can't remember the names of the videos now, she has done so many...

I think it'll be cool if she sticks around SL for a while. 

Cool. I like her even more now.

(And lol @ "I know a girl actually")

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, Rat Luv said:

@Scylla RhiadraThe first one was on this - I got the dialogue wrong - cracks me up when she says "is it your mu-tha?"

She's cute! I like her attitude. Favourite lines: "Why are the paparazzi following me?" and "Can I just shoot them?"

The men, on the other hand, seem to be almost universally idiots. I have a new appreciation for the men of SL, which is a good thing, I guess?

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I have a new appreciation for the men of SL, which is a good thing, I guess?

Maybe I'm just lucky but I never really encountered that kind of thing much here, or felt that atmosphere on SL.

More likely to be told I'm on private property and to get lost 😂

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Just now, Rat Luv said:

Maybe I'm just lucky but I never really encountered that kind of thing much here, or felt that atmosphere on SL.

More likely to be told I'm on private property and to get lost 😂

Well, that's the thing. I have encountered this kind of garbage in SL . . . but it is the exception, not the rule. 90% of the men I meet in-world are nice and respectful -- articulate even.

I get a bit bored of the constant trawling for sex thing, but even the men doing that are mostly polite.

Overall, the men of SL are pretty ok, I think. (YMMV)

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Rat Luv said:

@Scylla RhiadraThe first one was on this - I got the dialogue wrong - cracks me up when she says "is it your mu-tha?"

I genuinely can't understand what's going on or most of what anyone is saying, but that doesn't mean I'm not enjoying it. I like her.

• Like 5

Never confuse a youtuber or instagram influencer for a 'noob'. They always come into anything with an agenda. Not necessarily bad or good - but an agenda designed to drive up their own audience - and that will shape how they approach what they do.

These are people playing a persona for an audience - and that drives their responses. If you're lucky you end up on the good side of it, if not you get roasted by them.

But that is not a 'noob'. It's as real as 'reality TV'.

Edited by Pussycat Catnap
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

Never confuse a youtuber or instagram influencer for a 'noob'. They always come into anything with an agenda. Not necessarily bad or good - but an agenda designed to drive up their own audience - and that will shape how they approach what they do.

Very true. But I’m not mad at that. Just interested in watching how it goes down. 

this youtuber has been streaming SL content for a year now and I’m enjoying some of her stuff too - also not really into many of the same things she is (owning an adult club, etc) but it’s still interesting and informative in a different way. 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Fauve Aeon said:

Very true. But I’m not mad at that. Just interested in watching how it goes down. 

this youtuber has been streaming SL content for a year now and I’m enjoying some of her stuff too - also not really into many of the same things she is (owning an adult club, etc) but it’s still interesting and informative in a different way. 

Her, I could watch.  At least she doesn't have her RL face plastered all over the video.  That part of the other one was rather distracting tbh.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, RowanMinx said:

Yes but is it available when you first log in and are going through the process?  I know she's done them and they're quite helpful but new users need to seek them out if they aren't readily available at the new user portal.  Then having those same videos available as a toolbar button they could refer back to as needed.

They are not, at least from what I can tell. 

I joined the site about a week ago after seeing a YouTube video on it (not Carmen's). I was dropped onto the Firestorm welcome island, was taught how to move around and use the camera, then when I got plopped on the social island I went through the shopping portal, then didn't quite know how to get back to the social island. If it was located on the social island, I completely missed it. 

I only came across her videos because I manually searched for tutorial videos on YouTube. 

41 minutes ago, Fauve Aeon said:

Her videos are great too! I think the difference between Carmen's and her's (Meela Vanderbuilt) is that Meela's are quite long. Some of her tutorial videos are streams I believe, about 1-2 hours. Fun to watch if you have the time, but not exactly a nice and concise thing a newbie can watch. Carmen's are much more slickly edited to short, consumable chunks, but she of course does not do tutorial videos.

Different strokes for different folks, but I generally think that shorter content is more accessible. (30 minutes or under per video) 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, simplemint said:

Different strokes for different folks, but I generally think that shorter content is more accessible. (30 minutes or under per video) 

Streaming now offers time stamps/chapters in the down box so I skip around from video to video just watching the sections that interest me. Occasionally I’ll watch through a whole one or circle back for some contextual reference. 

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1230 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.