2020 an SL noob’s first impressions...

Fauve Aeon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1231 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

29 minutes ago, Fauve Aeon said:

Thoughts? THOTS? (S’ ok, she said it!)

It was very interesting to see her first impressions, she has played the Sims and IMVU, but a lot of things confused her about SL at first.

She looks easily confused.

I could only watch a minute though...that voice annoyed me.

Edited by RowanMinx
  • Like 2
  • Haha 6

4 hours ago, Maryanne Solo said:

What mesh head is that? 🤔
0:00 -1:36?
She's having fun though which is very cool :)

I was wondering the same too! 🤔

One things for certain! someone needs to be brave enough here on the forum to have enough courage to send her a Bento AO...Any volunteers?🤡

Edited by Sassy Kenin
Fixed for updated highlighted comment
  • Like 1

A lot of people in SL tend to dismiss these kinds of videos, or get defensive about SL, but they often highlight a lot of SL's problems, big and small. From the lack of proper lighting to the difficulty curve in putting together a decent looking avatar, as examples from this video.

These videos can also highlight the strengths of SL. The girl in the video seems to be having a good time creating her avatar, despite the difficulty. Showing the importance of avatar customization, and the sheer amount of content we have available to do so.

LL could take away from this video that they need to make avatar customization more accessible to new users, without limiting the freedom we have in creating our appearance.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 3

41 minutes ago, Penny Patton said:

A lot of people in SL tend to dismiss these kinds of videos, or get defensive about SL, but they often highlight a lot of SL's problems, big and small. From the lack of proper lighting to the difficulty curve in putting together a decent looking avatar, as examples from this video.

These videos can also highlight the strengths of SL. The girl in the video seems to be having a good time creating her avatar, despite the difficulty. Showing the importance of avatar customization, and the sheer amount of content we have available to do so.

LL could take away from this video that they need to make avatar customization more accessible to new users, without limiting the freedom we have in creating our appearance.

I had a feeling the Dairy Queen herself would bless us all with her appearance!🙂...All teasing aside your right in the observation while agreeing the Lab should really see feedback like hers as proof to make better changes.. I've always thought the lab should bring you on as an official resident advisor and it's still not too late!

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Sassy Kenin said:

Lab should really see feedback like hers as proof to make better changes..

Considering what she has shown in her video is the same as countless new users have expressed in the past over many many years in both articles, blogs, forums and youtube the chances of them accepting this as feedback and positively acting on it is about as likely as Linden Lab buying back Sansar.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Drayke Newall said:

LeLutka = How to make a user friendly HUD

Catwa = WTF HUD, for a new person and even an experienced person it has to be the most confusing HUD ever.

I am considering trying LeLutka and will get a DEMO its been almost 5yrs since last trying one. (for some strange i keep thinking they are LAQ?) but yes Catwa Hud is very rough around the edges compared to Huds from Maitreya or Genus, I still have not used the free head she gave out, while I appreciated it did not have marketplace support I thought in makeup options,ect.

2 minutes ago, Sassy Kenin said:

I am considering trying LeLutka and will get a DEMO its been almost 5yrs since last trying one. (for some strange i keep thinking they are LAQ?) but yes Catwa Hud is very rough around the edges compared to Huds from Maitreya or Genus, I still have not used the free head she gave out, while I appreciated it did not have marketplace support I thought in makeup options,ect.

I'm planning on doing the same. I have had a Catwa head since they first came out but just cant be bothered dealing with the HUD anymore. Seeing another YouTube vid of the Male LeLutca heads (look really good) and the awesome HUD they have I will probably be changing to one of those instead.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Drayke Newall said:

the chances of them accepting this as feedback and positively acting on it is about as likely as Linden Lab buying back Sansar.

Your right!..And Sansar was were the linden mobile took a wrong turn off the cliff of a mountain of debt and it might take awhile for them to recover from that.

• Like 1

Sorry guys, but I feel really uncomfortable about the tone some posters have taken here.

Here's a young woman who is enthusiastically starting her journey in SL - and by her own admission having a great time. And clearly wanting to come back and find out more... And it makes me glad.

I don't care what her voice sounds like, how she likes to make herself look etc etc - can we not just let her be? Less of the personal criticism please, let's be nice to each other.

• Like 22
  • Thanks 7

4 minutes ago, Emma Krokus said:

Sorry guys, but I feel really uncomfortable about the tone some posters have taken here.

Here's a young woman who is enthusiastically starting her journey in SL - and by her own admission having a great time. And clearly wanting to come back and find out more... And it makes me glad.

I don't care what her voice sounds like, how she likes to make herself look etc etc - can we not just let her be? Less of the personal criticism please, let's be nice to each other.

I can't argue with that.🤐

• Like 2

Very rarely do I bother to log in to the tube (even less than here) as can't be bothered but Ms King there is one of 3 that I actually subscribed to. Breath of fresh air. Now I am the first to go 'get orf my lawn mutter' but seriously - lighten up.

OK so it was the outrageous glitter paint job car for me.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Penny Patton said:

Ding-ding-ding! Instead of critiquing her...anything, that’s really the reason I posted it. I’m sure her experience is much like many first timers, even ones who have experience with things like The Sims and IMVU. 
If, with $L to spend, after 2 hours of she isn’t back out and about in her customized avatar, and doesn’t know how to ‘revert’ it into the default that she went shopping in...that’s a big problem. She came in, spent a decent amount of money and ended the video sitting in her (still dark) apartment, still needing help. 
And yeah, I’m also a little surprised at some of the responses here. I know I probably shouldn’t be though. 

• Like 8

I'm sure she doesn't "represent" the yoof of today any more than any random pop star represented me back in the day, but it is relevant to see how a young person who was raised on the internet in a way the average SLer wasn't, reacts to it. Her style and mannerisms aren't really relevant. She's of a generation that grew up with tech. How does it look to someone who's more used to this than most of us were?

I came to SL in my early 20s. If I were in my early 20s now, I'd have a different reaction to it. Honestly, I don't think it would keep me.

And because this is a bugbear of mine: she's Gen Z. I'm a millennial. We're older than you think!

• Like 8

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1231 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.