2020 an SL noob’s first impressions...

Fauve Aeon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1261 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

On 10/28/2020 at 3:04 AM, cunomar said:

How's about instead of dumping newbies at a learning sim and leaving them to their own devices instead reward them by landing them on completion into a huge LL managed sandbox hosting planes , boats , hot air balloons whatever , hell a dance ball with a big sign saying "ask someone to dance with you" , a haphazard mix n match makes no sense controlled chaos of a sim that encourages only communication while at the same time showing new users what is possible .

They used to do that. Assorted new user islands full of "helpful" people.

The problem is that anytime the paid staff logged out or looked to the side, the griefers logged in and took up the challenge...

This is of course, a trivially easy problem to deal with...

...for a company with even a modest understanding of community management and engagement.

But SL was founded by 'libertarian utopia' sorts who... don't think through what happens when ideals meet reality (this is true of all 'utopia ideologies', be the this, that, or the other ism...).

So they just assumed that things in a free open market would rise to perfection and good people were naturally rewarded for their efforts. Which is... kinda the same thinking of every failed society.

SL could do what you desire - but LL would need a radical philosophical readjustment to make it happen.

• Like 1

It doesn't need to be managed - they don't need to be helped , working it all out is a huge learning curve that will fill many hours - but they need a reason to think it might be worth investing those hours .

I have long since given up believing genuine newbies actually exist and any that do will wander aimlessly until they are picked up by experienced griefers who play the long game anyway so what difference does it make other than to let them know there is something in SL besides silent empty sims .

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, cunomar said:

It doesn't need to be managed - they don't need to be helped , working it all out is a huge learning curve that will fill many hours - but they need a reason to think it might be worth investing those hours .

Good insight. There need to be small payoffs along the way.

• Like 1

On 10/28/2020 at 12:58 PM, TickleKitten said:

The funnel from signing up to being halfway competent using the viewer and getting things done in the world must be an interesting one indeed ...

Great post, interesting and insightful. I suspect my own new user experience typifies that of the average user, but I may be wrong ...

1 -  Sign up, have a dabble, get in a mess, then dump it, too confused, within 2 - 4 days.

2 - Some 12 to 24 months later recall the possibilites seen but never achieved, re-sign up and have another go. Do much better.

3 - Get in a messy relationship that ends in a bitter divorce. Start over afresh with a fresh clean first alt, determined to avoid the learnt pitfalls.

4 - Learn to build, script, avoid troublesome users, partehhh like it's ones birthday, finally go premium and discover the sky is indeed the limit when it comes to SL

Edited by rasterscan
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, rasterscan said:

Great post, interesting and insightful. I suspect my own new user experience typifies that of the average user, but I may be wrong ...

1 -  Sign up, have a dabble, get in a mess, then dump it, too confused, within 2 - 4 days.

2 - Some 12 to 24 months later recall the possibilites seen but never achieved, re-sign up and have another go. Do much better.

3 - Get in a messy relationship that ends in a bitter divorce. Start over afresh with a fresh clean first alt, determined to avoid the learnt pitfalls.

4 - Learn to build, script, avoid troublesome users, partehhh like it's ones birthday, finally go premium and discover the sky is indeed the limit when it comes to SL

1. Same. I did that at least twice though. Maybe three times.

2. This is where I am now. Doing much better? I am doing better. Still have those awkward, "What the hell?" moments. Ask me about deleting the bottom half of my house just last night. :)

3. Bringing a great relationship in with me, thankfully, and have friends who have been here a decade to guide us.

4. Premium? Dove right in. Starting the rest.

Thanks for the thoughtful feedback!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, TickleKitten said:

1. Same. I did that at least twice though. Maybe three times.

2. This is where I am now. Doing much better? I am doing better. Still have those awkward, "What the hell?" moments. Ask me about deleting the bottom half of my house just last night. :)

3. Bringing a great relationship in with me, thankfully, and have friends who have been here a decade to guide us.

4. Premium? Dove right in. Starting the rest.

Thanks for the thoughtful feedback!

Just a suggestion.  Always lock the house when you've positioned it where you want.

• Like 2

On 10/22/2020 at 3:28 AM, Drayke Newall said:

Considering what she has shown in her video is the same as countless new users have expressed in the past over many many years in both articles, blogs, forums and youtube the chances of them accepting this as feedback and positively acting on it is about as likely as Linden Lab buying back Sansar.

Dude! Don't give them any ideas!

• Haha 1

On 10/22/2020 at 3:41 AM, Emma Krokus said:

Sorry guys, but I feel really uncomfortable about the tone some posters have taken here.

Here's a young woman who is enthusiastically starting her journey in SL - and by her own admission having a great time. And clearly wanting to come back and find out more... And it makes me glad.

I don't care what her voice sounds like, how she likes to make herself look etc etc - can we not just let her be? Less of the personal criticism please, let's be nice to each other.

I agree with one caveat. There are those who have hearing issues and certain pitches of voices can make it worse so we have to care what someone's voice sounds like. Trying to explain this to people is not only very difficult, it can be traumatizing. I've had to deal with it since I was about 6 years old. Over 50 years. 

Being considerate is more than just a two way street.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

I agree with one caveat. There are those who have hearing issues and certain pitches of voices can make it worse so we have to care what someone's voice sounds like. Trying to explain this to people is not only very difficult, it can be traumatizing. I've had to deal with it since I was about 6 years old. Over 50 years. 

Being considerate is more than just a two way street.

I hadn't realised this!  Thank you for your comment, Silent!

I would  agree that anyone considerate would seek to modify their voice pitch once they understand it is an issue for others.

Emma :)

• Like 3

Having watched a few of her videos I must admit she very pleasantly surprises me in her perception of SL and it's possibilities. She appears everything but airheaded at second glance. The whole act reminds me a lot of Frann Drescher.

I'm not sure about the demograph she is trying to appeal to : some content is defenitely adult-themed.

I find she does a good job nonetheless. It does seem she is enjoying herself a lot.

The overall mood is positive.

Edited by TDD123

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1261 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.