2020 an SL noob’s first impressions...

Fauve Aeon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1262 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

10 hours ago, RowanMinx said:

I agree totally that LL needs to make their own official 'getting started' video

I think this is the wrong move. Sure tutorial videos are helpful but having to navigate between the tutorial and SL when you need that tutorial is cumbersome. Having a 'how to create an SL avatar' video at the sign up page wont help when someone has created their account, signed into SL and a few days later is now looking to create a better avatar after seeing the difference in quality between the noob avies and mesh ones.

This is where Linden Lab really need to think outside the box by combining a few ideas and newer SL systems such as experiences etc together to make the new user experience better and I don't think this should be video tutorials.

An update for the viewer could allow an integrated experience where the tutorial is following tooltips on the viewer. For example:

• Flashing little icon on the left where you click and it says "Want a different look click here"
  • After clicking that button it then guides you with automated tooltips that you follow which shows you where and how to edit your shape, attach items to your avatar, the differences between add and wear, how to save an outfit etc.

All of this within the viewer. After that could be more advanced things like finding a new body, head etc and how to go about BoM etc with skins which could use a tutorial sim where you can buy a new basic body and learn how to add the skin, tattoos etc.

It could also start off when you hit the button. So say you hit the build button it will automatically show tooltips on how to do it and as mentioned in another thread those tooltips have gifs etc explaining quickly and accurately all within the viewer how to do things. This can also be used to show what an optimised and unoptimised build is etc.

Could even make it a quest like tutorial system using the above but applying it gradually so once a tooltip appears you then do what it says and it moves to the next tooltip. At certain stages you then get rewarded with a few linden dollars (or similar to the noob island cash) for completing it.

Similar this kind of thing with tutorial overlays etc (this is a modern game but is common in many AAA games):

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Drayke Newall said:

I think this is the wrong move. Sure tutorial videos are helpful but having to navigate between the tutorial and SL when you need that tutorial is cumbersome. Having a 'how to create an SL avatar' video at the sign up page wont help when someone has created their account, signed into SL and a few days later is now looking to create a better avatar after seeing the difference in quality between the noob avies and mesh ones.

This is where Linden Lab really need to think outside the box by combining a few ideas and newer SL systems such as experiences etc together to make the new user experience better and I don't think this should be video tutorials.

An update for the viewer could allow an integrated experience where the tutorial is following tooltips on the viewer. For example:

• Flashing little icon on the left where you click and it says "Want a different look click here"
  • After clicking that button it then guides you with automated tooltips that you follow which shows you where and how to edit your shape, attach items to your avatar, the differences between add and wear, how to save an outfit etc.

All of this within the viewer. After that could be more advanced things like finding a new body, head etc and how to go about BoM etc with skins which could use a tutorial sim where you can buy a new basic body and learn how to add the skin, tattoos etc.

It could also start off when you hit the button. So say you hit the build button it will automatically show tooltips on how to do it and as mentioned in another thread those tooltips have gifs etc explaining quickly and accurately all within the viewer how to do things. This can also be used to show what an optimised and unoptimised build is etc.

Could even make it a quest like tutorial system using the above but applying it gradually so once a tooltip appears you then do what it says and it moves to the next tooltip. At certain stages you then get rewarded with a few linden dollars (or similar to the noob island cash) for completing it.

Similar this kind of thing with tutorial overlays etc (this is a modern game but is common in many AAA games):

That actually sounds like a great idea.  Probably not as easily implemented as say a toolbar button to access tutorial videos.  I didn't suggest they watch them before they signed up and entered but have them accessible from the dashboard, the entry portal inworld or the above mentioned toolbar button.  Maybe down the road, something more like you're describing as I think that would work well.  Adding videos and a button just seemed like an easier fix.

Edited by RowanMinx
  • Like 2

Tutorials integrated directly into the SL experience are something I've suggested for years, but I think LL could take it even further.

A large part of the difficulty in creating an avatar comes down to the way SL itself is designed. The appearance editor should come with a selection of head and body presets that put an SL user close to their intended bodyshape rather than forcing them to create he shape from what is currently a misshapen barely human starting point. From there users could opt to dig into the body sliders to personalize their head and shape even further.

In addition, while I think mesh heads and bodies are great and should be an option, they shouldn't be necessary to create a decent looking avatar. The system avatar needs an overhaul to bring it more in line with today's standards. That would greatly simplify the new user experience.

On top of that, I don't think tutorial videos are a bad idea, but LL should make them more readily accessible to users. Like a link in the Help menu to a webpage curating the videos.

Combine all these ideas, the interactive tutorials the curated video library and the improved avatar and appearance editor, and you could could put a real dent in the new user learning curve.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Penny Patton said:

I think mesh heads and bodies are great and should be an option, they shouldn't be necessary to create a decent looking avatar.

There are a few very nice starter avatars, but ther's nothing to find for skin change.. clothes... and not to forget that standard AO is just a horror. Change a bit on that gives some starters already some tools to edit.
Next to that, dump the old crap from the library, thousends of items that nobody éver needs.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Penny Patton said:

Tutorials integrated directly into the SL experience are something I've suggested for years, but I think LL could take it even further.

I agree fully especially with regards to the updated system avatar.

Sad thing is it will just never happen as Linden Lab just plain out refuse any form of updating the older creation tools to their detriment. Unfortunately for what ever reason they don't see it as a detriment despite it clearly been shown for years to be a major issue.

Combine that with many outspoken minority existing members saying no to any possibly positive feature update because they prefer the status quo, old methods or think it will impact on other things and Linden Lab just ignores all the good alternatives. This goes for the inworld prim creation tools as well. Modifying them into a basic mesh system which allows for Booleans would not only help optimise SL content but also keep people (user retention) in world to make items. That kind of inworld mesh system can run in tandem with out of world creation but the naysayer's always win the argument or Lab put in the too hard basket.

38 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

There are a few very nice starter avatars, but ther's nothing to find for skin change.. clothes... and not to forget that standard AO is just a horror. Change a bit on that gives some starters already some tools to edit.
Next to that, dump the old crap from the library, thousends of items that nobody éver needs.

Think it needs more than that. What little Mesh bodies are available as a starter avatar, all don't even change when editing your shape. That is a huge turnoff to people like in the Vid in the OP who come from any form of game, virtual world, social platform etc that allows such things (90% of people).

That leaves them with the default avatar which as heard in the Vid in the OP is looked at as terrible and ugly, hence why many for years have been asking for the system avatar to be updated to a modern mesh.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Drayke Newall said:

That leaves them with the default avatar which as heard in the Vid in the OP is looked at as terrible and ugly, hence why many for years have been asking for the system avatar to be updated to a modern mesh.

so what you basicly say is  a premium look for everybody? ..
My suggestion would be to add the often asked "what do i do here" or "game" targets .. get skills and earn it, even limit access to SL untill proven skills are present, with restrictions of course, can't really lock everything off, but some areas. For example the constat noobflow to certain adult regions, is a nuisance to many people, ... earn your access.

:)

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Alwin Alcott said:

so what you basicly say is  a premium look for everybody? ..

Not at all, but you seem to also forget that pre mesh everyone had a 'Premium' look. Just because people have made a business in SL at providing bodies doesn't necessarily mean that an upgrade to the system avatar would hinder that. It would be no different to any other competition that other body creators make.

As to the rest of your post, I agree to some extent to the earning side of things and that is in essence what my suggestion above regarding the tutorial was. You cant leave noob islands until you have completed your quest in learning how to dress yourself and interact with the viewer. Not old school noob island but all within the viewer through tooltips and experiences etc.

Not sure what your quest would be to gain access to adult themed regions considering their very definition is not black and white.

3 minutes ago, Drayke Newall said:

Not sure what your quest would be to gain access to adult themed regions considering their very definition is not black and white.

thats why i said "certain adult" regions ..  there were many very popular meeting points in the past where "settled" accounts met, but now practicly are deserted because of the pest of noobs , not all noobs... but there's a certain constant flow with seemingly throw away acounts, a required level of skills would prevent that.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

in that case... ditch all starters, just Ruth back, and earn your stuff.

Haha! It's worth having a nicer starter av because it will be more enticing for newbies to stay, but what I mean is that it won't impress established people. They'll still think it's crap.

Funnily enough, you might get more status now with a real 2006 Ruth because it proves how long you've been here and surely looks wonderfully ironic by now, as one of the forumites shows...

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Amina Sopwith said:

I think that even if the initial avatar was better quality with a decent AO, it would still be seen as awful because everyone knows it's the free noob default.

I'm not so sure, given that they'll still have the option to dress it up with all kinds of skins, hair, clothing and other accessories. People didn't flock to mesh bodies because the system avatar was the free noob default. They flocked to mesh bodies because the system avatar is objectively inferior.

• Like 3

I love this video!!

I'm old and I would make a really boring video that wouldn't attract the 18 - 20 year olds. This is great... a young blogger with a lot of followers.

Her voice is annoying to me because I am not used to it, but it is very much like other vbloggers that mave makeup tutorials and so on. Complaining about her voice or style is like going back in time and scream to your teenager to turn off that ugly bumpa-bumpa music. Only Sinatra makes real music!  🤪

Hey, do any of you have a Youtube account so you can leave a comment? Suggest that she is using more demos! She only demo'ed one head as long as I saw. I stopped when she was done buying hair and went to the end. I did not see if she used the demo for clothes. For me, it was like she clicked buy this, but that, only based on the ads. She must really recommend demos! A 5000 L head, a body and 2 hairstyles is already about 10 000 L, half the money she started with.

And get her to look at sales...

I became a bit less exited in the end, because her SL face really looked snarky and not like her RL face at all. Tip her about Strawberry Singh's introduction videos, they were linked to earlier in this thread. So far, she is really not looking as good as she can.

But it is her first video so the potential is great for more refined looks!

• Like 3

For me its the whole *cough "Influencer" and attempting to live off/monetize YouTube thing.
Not her specifically.
Combine that mentality with YT's advertisement tsunami every 10 seconds and "X marks the spot"
becomes VERY attractive.
My YT theory is 15 second macro vids of rotating jewellery items which I will play music to as time goes on.
The way YT has gone with Ads I'm pretty sure I'll be giving it the flick as my video hosting service.
It's just too tacky, yukky & greedy these days.
But if selling "yourself" is your thang? Go for it.
I just don't see it as sustainable. 

• Like 2

You tubers, I'll latch onto a streamer for a little while.. but it never really last, unless I'm interested in the learning and learning something as I go along..

If it's for entertainment, that's when it's more, go for the ride until it loses it's feel..

I like the feel she is giving off right now and like her ,screw everything I'm going for it, who cares what people think, Hate me if you want betches attitude..

She's having fun doing what she's doing and making some money I'm sure, while she's doing it.. Who wouldn't like to be doing that?

Make money at what you're having fun with and love doing.. Ride it while it last because the world changes it's mind often..hehehe

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/22/2020 at 7:37 AM, Scylla Rhiadra said:

This is gold, and LL are fools if they are not paying attention to it.

Yeah, she's not my thing at all, but she's funny, adventurous, and pretty bright (a lot of the boopsie stuff is pretty clearly a put-on persona). And she's providing some real insight here into some of the issues surrounding the new user experience, all the while providing publicity for the platform of the sort that money literally can't buy.

You go, girl.

Yes! That's fun to watch. She knows how to look good in real life, and she's using those skills in Second Life. Seeing that done is great for SL.

She even customized the dialog boxes to pink backgrounds! Who else bothers to do that?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

and a memory span at zero ...oh a white girl... yeah because you chose that a minute ago stupid girl.
If this is the future new accounts, please hide them on locked regions.

New accounts don’t choose their avatar on the web at sign-up anymore. You do not see your avatar at all until you log into the viewer. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Fauve Aeon said:

New accounts don’t choose their avatar on the web at sign-up anymore. You do not see your avatar at all until you log into the viewer. 

ah ok.. in that case i double the timespan.. she claims to have been here before... still keep it locked somewhere please.

• Haha 1

I think she needs to learn how to talk a bit more educated first and loose the ghetto valley girl act. I manage to make it a total of 3:46 minutes into the video before I finally couldn't stand her voice anymore. She made me want to go deaf. That's 3:46 minutes of my life I want back. lol I want a refund!!!! Lmao!!!!😁

Edited by Velk Kerang
Corrections.
  • Like 1

I found her adorable! She is so youthful and enthusiastic. It's nice to see a younger generation checking out Second Life. I know I've read her voice is annoying. I can't hear her so have no idea. She just seems to be having fun and being silly. It is also interesting to see Second Life through someone who is learning how things work.

A bit nostalgic.

• Like 6

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1262 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.