Try Out the New Inworld Search

Brooke Linden

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4653 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi all,

As you may have seen on the blog, the Search Team has made a project viewer with the new search available for you all to try out. Search has been completely re-designed on both the front end and back end. For more information and to try it out, please take a look at the blog post.

While you are free to comment on this forum post, the best place to send your feedback is using the feedback link at the top of the new search page.

Brooke

Ziggy21 Slade wrote:

Three perfectly ordinary words, but put them together and they form a phrase bound to
strike
pure terror into the heart of even the most experienced merchant.

New Inworld Search

!!!!!Shudders!!!!!

LOL....  and wont work effectively with LL SL Viewer 1.x nor all the other 3PV's until they decide to incorporate it.  So a tool best used only with SL V2.

Call me when 3PV vendors support it.

Toysoldier Thor wrote:

LOL....  and wont work effectively with LL SL Viewer 1.x nor all the other 3PV's until they decide to incorporate it.  So a tool best used only with SL V2.

Call me when 3PV vendors support it.

Ditto (almost). Call me when 1.xx supports it.

I just had a look and it's nothing to write home about - yet another LL triumph of viewer 2  style over substance. AND it excludes  direct searches  of classified or if  it  does allow then they have made a clever job of hiding the tab. Search results don't apperar to be significantly better or worse.

Sliding back now to my self imposed SL forums exile.

^L^

Some of these posts already, I can't even believe. lol.

At this point after begging for something, anything to be changed with search, we should shut up and sit down. I'm not an LL cheerleader, but ANY improvements on search, or any ATTEMPTS to improve search should at least be looked into rather than being blown off by saying call me when you support it for my viewer.

3rd party viewers can support the new search once it's rolled out if they choose to, it's not up to LL. You guys know better. Where's the big obnoxious eyerolling smiley for me to use? I'd understand if V2 holds a knife to your throat and threatens to decapitate your mother, but why can't you test it out? I don't enjoy using V2 but I'm still playing with the new search stuff. So far V2 has not decapitated my mother.

I know some of you are very hard to please but it wouldn't hurt you to at least give it a shot, especially if you've been one of the people screaming till you're blue in the face for something, anything towards improving search. After years of being cheesed off, at least go "Hey, thanks for trying!" even if it's not exactly what you want, and then offer suggestions for things it may be lacking. Easy! lol.

--

To set example, thank you LL for trying to improve search even if it still doesn't suit some peoples' needs. I like to think we all understand that this is still in beta and you may be accepting intelligent and thoughtful suggestions for improvements.

Personally, I think the new search is looking fantastic with amazing potential to lessen the stress and burden amongst the members, and I'm very excited for when it comes out of beta. :)

Wow! I didn't spontaneously combust for realizing someone is trying to improve search. The world is still intact too! Newton's Linden Acknowledgement Theory, eat your heart out.

Ai Velde wrote:

At this point after begging for something, anything to be changed with search, we should shut up and sit down. I'm not an LL cheerleader, but ANY improvements on search, or any ATTEMPTS to improve search should at least be looked into rather than being blown off by saying call me when you support it for my viewer.

3rd party viewers can support the new search once it's rolled out if they choose to, it's not up to LL. You guys know better. Where's the big obnoxious eyerolling smiley for me to use? I'd understand if V2 holds a knife to your throat and threatens to decapitate your mother, but why can't you test it out? I don't enjoy using V2 but I'm still playing with the new search stuff. So far V2 has not decapitated my mother.

I know some of you are very hard to please but it wouldn't hurt you to at least give it a shot, especially if you've been one of the people screaming till you're blue in the face for something,
anything
towards improving search. After years of being cheesed off, at least go "
Hey, thanks for trying
!" even if it's not exactly what you want, and then offer suggestions for things it may be lacking. Easy! lol.

--

To set example, thank you LL for trying to improve search even if it still doesn't suit some peoples' needs. I like to think we all understand that this is still in beta and you may be accepting intelligent and thoughtful suggestions for improvements.

Personally, I think the new search is looking fantastic with amazing potential to lessen the stress and burden amongst the members, and I'm very excited for when it comes out of beta.
:)

Wow! I didn't spontaneously combust for realizing someone
is
trying to improve search. The world is still intact too! Newton's Linden Acknowledgement Theory, eat your heart out.

OK... Thanks LL for trying to fix inworld search even though you developed a solution only currently supported by your own V2 viewer.  Maybe some of this population of users might find this new V2 inworld serch useful.

Now... Call me when LL knows it support the majority of the SL Grid's viewers - not just V2.

PS - i cant test until it support Phoenix.  No I will not install LL V2 just to test out inworld search. I have personally given up on an effective inworld search for product/store search and have learned to use SLM.  If this new search eventually helps the total population of SL Users/Viewers find my products and store as effectively as them using SLM - great)

TatianaDokuchic Varriale wrote:

@Toy

If you want to try it out without using the viewer:

Thanks...

Gave it a try.  Needs work.  Could not change it away from "G" only.  Tons missing.  My items in my store are all G stuff and a G store... just happens to be on a Mature sim.  So the beta search didnt let me find any of my stuff.   No search category for COMMERCIAL or INWORLD MARKET - u just gotta search for everything or places.   When I found my profile - couldnt get details in my profile without needing to log into the viewer (which I guess was a V2 - so i didnt).  My Classified Ads were not found or displayed on the sides of any relevant searches - but again... likely because the beta only searches for G rated anything.

THERE - I tried it.  lots of work needed on that still.  YES i did leave a comment on the things broken.

Ai Velde wrote:

I know some of you are very hard to please but it wouldn't hurt you to at least give it a shot, especially if you've been one of the people screaming till you're blue in the face for something,
anything
Hey, thanks for trying
!" even if it's not exactly what you want, and then offer suggestions for things it may be lacking. Easy! lol.

--

Personally, I think the new search is looking fantastic with amazing potential to lessen the stress and burden amongst the members, and I'm very excited for when it comes out of beta.

is
trying to improve search. The world is still intact too! Newton's Linden Acknowledgement Theory, eat your heart out.

The first meaningfull post in this thread and I'm afraid it will stay this way.

I think LL is on a good way, this beta is already much better then the previous version

@Toysoldier

If you wish your Phoenix viewer supports the new search then don't ask LL ask the Phoenix team.

Also you don't need to login in any viewer to find mature stuff in the web search, you only need to login into your dashboard and that has nothing to do with the beta version of the search.

Ziggy21 Slade wrote:

Three perfectly ordinary words, but put them together and they form a phrase bound to
strike
pure terror into the heart of even the most experienced merchant.

New Inworld Search

!!!!!Shudders!!!!!

ROFL! Yeah, but when you don't even show in the old 1, anything has got to be better. IMHO, the new results are seriously messed up. I created a small cinema theatre, and happen to put the word animation in the name. It was ranked in the top 20 for the word animation. I put the word animation in it because some of the videos and movies that I show are animated. Yet somehow, that cinema is ranked way higher than my main store, which is huge, and has thousands and thousands of animations. Needless to say, I took the word animation out of the name of the cinema.

Georg Stonewall wrote:

Ai Velde wrote:

anything
Hey, thanks for trying

--

is

I think LL is on a good way, this beta is already much better then the previous version

@Toysoldier

If you wish your Phoenix viewer supports the new search then don't ask LL ask the Phoenix team.

Also you don't need to login in any viewer to find mature stuff in the web search, you only need to login into your dashboard and that has nothing to do with the beta version of the search.

In the WEB BETA search - the link i was shown....  there is only GENERAL... and I could not set it to MATURE.  So for the beta...only GENERAL works... and since my store is in a mature sim... the Beta shows none of my store or products.

And I wont be asking Phoenix anything.  Search has sucked in SL for so long and if LL built a new Search that only works with new LL Viewer.... no big loss anymore for me.  Just that as has been the case for FAR TOO LONG... those that do not have LL V2 will still not find my stuff.

What a coincidence, I just left today, then again, viewer 2.6. It was impossible for me to work with it. I had it for a week (last time just lasted 4 days). 

Couldn’t find people in the search, all returned can’t find. Since I use a lot the notes for customer’s requests, couldn’t accept not having it. Plus, the program stopped working 3 times, while I was trying to retrieve something from my inventory, plus its huge 96.1mb, enough as to have one of my CPUs at 100% all the time.

I rarely use the search in the website, I do my 99.9% search inworld, and is not working. Unless today was a special day, because they were working on it?

So, my opinion, search in the page seems to be working fine. Nice design, even though is not the same when you try something just to try, than when you really need to use something. In the other hand, for me is useless, I search inworld.

@Toysoldier Thor

In the new search, General, Mature, and Adult search results work for me. So that's wrong, it isn't intentionally showing just general. It may be a problem you're having. I'm sure you can report bugs here. It could be that you need to set your maturity settings in V2 or clear your cache.

Toysoldier Thor wrote:

In the WEB BETA search - the link i was shown....  there is only GENERAL... and I could not set it to MATURE.  So for the beta...only GENERAL works... and since my store is in a mature sim... the Beta shows none of my store or products. 

It is good to remember that there is not yet a beta search intended for normal web use. The pages currently at search-beta.secondlife.com are designed to work as a drop in replacement for the current V2 inworld search, and they do not support the features that would be needed for a standalone web site. The server is expecting an authentication token that the viewer normally supplies.

Without the token, the pages are defaulting to what a teen can see inworld, and that means mature regions will be excluded no matter what the content is.

Later, when LL releases a web search that is meant to be used that way, it has the option to make higher ratings available. The maturity check that was recently implememented for the marketplace could be reused for that. I hope that they do offer that option behind a web login.

Adding -- If you are logged in at the Sl web site and still can't see mature, try to log in on the regular SL viewer, change your maturity rating, then set it back to the one you normally use. this can increse compatibility outside.

Toysoldier Thor wrote:

Georg Stonewall wrote:

Ai Velde wrote:

anything
Hey, thanks for trying

--

is

@Toysoldier

And I wont be asking Phoenix anything.  Search has sucked in SL for so long and if LL built a new Search that only works with new LL Viewer.... no big loss anymore for me.  Just that as has been the case for FAR TOO LONG... those that do not have LL V2 will still not find my stuff.

There is only general items in the web search as long as you are not loged in into your dashboard. My shop is also on a mature sim and I can see all my stuff.

Toys Landscapes Sculpty Store

landscaping landscape sculpties terrain waterfall river rapids water

Isn't this your shop? I just found it in the web beta search without any problems.

And again, it is not on LL to make the new search working in other viewers then the Linden viewer, it's the job of the TPV developers.

PS. And you don't have to thank me for the free advert in this post :smileywink:

Ai Velde wrote:

I'd understand if V2 holds a knife to your throat and threatens to decapitate your mother, but why can't you test it out?

I know some of you are very hard to please but it wouldn't hurt you to at least give it a shot

I have tried it out (V2) - more than once - and, by comparison to the V1, it's crap.

Have they fixed the camera controls display yet? The last I heard, they hadn't done it, and I don't think they ever will - because they don't give a damn about users.

Phil Deakins wrote:
I have tried it out (V2) - more than once - and, by comparison to the V1, it's crap.

Have they fixed the camera controls display yet? The last I heard, they hadn't done it, and I don't think they ever will - because they don't give a damn about users.

Pan and orbit are on different tabs and the controls are much better than when it was first released.

Ciaran Laval wrote:

Phil Deakins wrote:

Pan and orbit are on different tabs and the controls are much better than when it was first released.

It's the large size of the cam control's display that was always too big, PLUS, and this is very important, it's the lack of semi-transparency when not in focus too. Many people, including me, use the cam controls extensively, and we have them permanently on display. The V1 controls never got in the way because they were designed with users in mind - small and unobtrusive - but the V2 controls were designed for their looks and not for users. Has there been any progress along those lines? From what you said, it sounds like it's got worse instead of better.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4653 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.