Discord...how is it used by the SL community.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1276 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

people often use it for groups or voice chat, since it works better for both then what sl provides. on discord you have more control over what people can say or do or what is showed. since you can literally delete what comments you don't like if you are the server owner. it provides more power for those obsessed with it. plus its outside of sl, so the tos no longer applies with what you do with what is said or shown on the server.

its also used by some to keep in contact when not logged in and when to plan on logging in together. Its also used as a way to get around rlv chat restrictions by some people so they can play at being a sub or slave and then still chat with whoever they want while their chat is blocked by rlv inworld.

Edited by Drakonadrgora Darkfold
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Robberinthemuseum said:

I've heard Discord mentioned a couple of times but I've never used it myself. Do residents use discord to chat in SL instead of using chat inside SL itself? What's the story with Discord? 

I don't personally use Discord instead of in-world chat. That would be clunky and difficult to manage. I use it as a supplement to in-world communications, almost exclusively when I'm not logged in.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I was instantly attracted to the idea of Discord when I heard about it in late 2017 or early 2018 and joined so that I could support it. They were an IM network run by people I relate to whose business model is membership not advertising. You get this sense like the people running have hearts and social consciousness so it feels like the place to be rather than a place to be the product. Then, as it so happens, it's actually a really polished cross-platform communications app, repurposing some of the best ideas (including bots/API, individually or group-managed servers/channels in the larger network) from IRC and Slack with hypertext, object exchange, cloud provider multimedia integrations, and then voice and videoconference and screen sharing a la Skype and Twitch and elsewhere. Discord is creating something new 'for gamers,' but it turns out this is a really good mix of ingredients for any virtual online community. And I've met some of the most wonderful people there. It feels like it has all the potential social elements I like about this place here, but taken and applied over there in that business as a subscription IM network.

Edited by Chroma Starlight
  • Like 2

To me, Discord supplements the in-world communications quite well. It's a bit like an intermedium of the forums and the in-world chats in many ways. And it's uncensored, so I can swear freely! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Orwar said:

To me, Discord supplements the in-world communications quite well. It's a bit like an intermedium of the forums and the in-world chats in many ways. And it's uncensored, so I can swear freely! 

only uncensored if the server admins allows it or they might just delete your comments if they find them not appropriate. which is why a lot like it. you cant do that with sl groups or local chat.

plus you can delete your own comments taking away any log of what you said in pm or in the server if allowed by the server admins.

• Like 1

The clubs and groups that want to use Discord, I guess I understand it but it makes me scratch until I bleed. Soooooo much blather, in so many subchats. No. Bleck. No. However, I do currently use Discord as a way of keeping in touch with a couple of SL people outside of SL. I've also used is for voice while in SL because I swear, SL voice tends to be borked for me more often than it isn't. Also with Discord running in the background for voice, I can more easily share links and screen clips than I can via SL.

I do like the one-stop place for customer service. I've watched/used it mainly for Genus and for Black Dragon. For the music club I like? It makes me want to hurl.

hairball.gif

Edited by Gatogateau
  • Like 1

I find Discord unuseable. I routinely use a VPN for privacy, but Discord won't let me login when running a VPN without first verifying by email and blah, blah, blah, all of which takes far too long. So I lost interest. Now SL groups are moving to Discord, and I won't be part of the conversation, but I'll survive.

• Sad 1

My opinion on Discord is mixed.

Pros:

• It is relatively easy to use.
  • Most of my friends use it.
  • Easy to connect with communities you are in.

The cons:

• It has become a chat monopoly. Get banned? Say goodbye to your communication with your friends.
  • Discord has fascist administration(Not server admins, but the actual people behind Discord). You will get banned if they find out you have the "wrong" opinion(I.E. anything that goes against their opinions). All it takes is one report to your account and you'll be banned.
  • Discord is used to push political agenda by it's company. Be prepared to see political agenda notifications via the announcement bar or in the update logs.

As for connecting with SL Communities: Again, mixed. I like it because it is easy to connect with the community, share WIPs for mods, ask for support with the community, etc. But it also brings out the worst in the communities. A creator that I had long looked up to turned out to be a racist(even though I tried to tell myself "nah that can't possibly be". Hard to accept people you look up to aren't as they seem to be sometimes.), so also be prepared for to see people's true colors.

Overall: Discord is a mixed bag as in it is the only place for this type of communication these days because anyone who is anyone is on Discord, but Discord can take that away with the snap of a finger because wrong opinion.

Edited by Chaser Zaks
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1276 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.