The moment your computer hard drive dies and you try to fix it...

druebey

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1282 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Ok so started this thread to ask, has anyone else had this happen to them... I came to SL recently(would love if they allowed a actual chat client for instances like this) and met a few good people here. I enjoyed stuff like having deep lifestyle discussions, asking opinions on stuff Id type out(song/poem), etc... They were also there as friends. But one day, my hard drive dies on me partially, due to HP support assistant being corrupted(only second time that has happened and both caused a need to resort all the way to factory settings), but this time my hard drive failed the short DST test... meaning my hard drive failed completely on me and its not just a software fail. I searched online for a client or like that was premissible to SL, and to my avail I didnt find any... then remembered there was a community function and used it to try message.... only to have red letters saying most of people I tried to contact couldnt be due to not being residents:(. 

How did you all solve this? Curious if there was a way other than my attempts. I do not have another pc at this time, and I have not fixed my harddrive issues.And truthfully I dont want my friends I met on SL to feel I left for no reason... I am sure you all that have met real friends on SL understand this.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Are you trying to message in-world people without logging into SL?

There is an app for the iPhone that can send local chat messages to people but it's pretty limited.  It would be easier to just log in to SL on a friends computer and send them a message that way.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, druebey said:

Ok so started this thread to ask, has anyone else had this happen to them... I came to SL recently(would love if they allowed a actual chat client for instances like this) and met a few good people here. I enjoyed stuff like having deep lifestyle discussions, asking opinions on stuff Id type out(song/poem), etc... They were also there as friends. But one day, my hard drive dies on me partially, due to HP support assistant being corrupted(only second time that has happened and both caused a need to resort all the way to factory settings), but this time my hard drive failed the short DST test... meaning my hard drive failed completely on me and its not just a software fail. I searched online for a client or like that was premissible to SL, and to my avail I didnt find any... then remembered there was a community function and used it to try message.... only to have red letters saying most of people I tried to contact couldnt be due to not being residents:(. 

How did you all solve this? Curious if there was a way other than my attempts. I do not have another pc at this time, and I have not fixed my harddrive issues.And truthfully I dont want my friends I met on SL to feel I left for no reason... I am sure you all that have met real friends on SL understand this.

Are you talking about your list of friends you get to off your SL website dashboard, connect and share, My second life?  

• Like 1

You can use an SL client from your phone or run a Live Linux OS (easiest is Ubuntu/Xubuntu) from a CD/DVD/USB and use Firestorm if you want to login normally like you did when your HDD was working or use Radegast if you only want to chat. There is also a web client you could use called Speedlight

On 10/19/2020 at 7:14 PM, Arielle Popstar said:

What are you using while your computer is down then?

All I have currently is a chromebook and a Mobile phone.

On 10/19/2020 at 7:30 PM, TT120 said:

Are you trying to message in-world people without logging into SL?

There is an app for the iPhone that can send local chat messages to people but it's pretty limited.  It would be easier to just log in to SL on a friends computer and send them a message that way.

Correct, all I have right now is a Chromebook and android phone(that I am thinking of upgrading soon to another android phone).

On 10/19/2020 at 9:34 PM, Claireschen Hesten said:

Worth giving the third party viewer page a browse http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Third_Party_Viewer_Directory there are a few viewers that work on iOS and Android if you need to message your pals and say you wont be on SL proper until you get your computer fixed 

Thank you, I forgot about directories instead of messengers

On 10/19/2020 at 10:08 PM, Sassy Kenin said:

Welcome to the Forum Druebey 🥰

Thank you for the welcome, and you are the first to welcome me :D

Well in that case you have the option of the Lumiya viewer which is quite good for a mobile viewer though there are some aspects like animations which no longer appear to work in the 3d scene, though other people see the avatar animating. LL no longer lists it as a TPV but they don't seem to have issues with people using it. I myself log 10 or so hours a week on it. SlideMe still has a download for it and it is the site the official Lumiya site lists as a backup if it is no longer available on Google Play (which it isn't.) That should work fine on your phone though I can't attest to whether it does on the Chrome book.

The other option as someone already mentioned is using a live Linux version on a usb stick on your regular computer and downloading a linux release of Firestorm or any other TPV that has one, onto it. I've experimented with that in past and it is a workable option too.

• Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1282 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.