Uplifting

Rowan Amore

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1281 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

5 minutes ago, RowanMinx said:

For those who may not read the Tech forums.

Not all that uplifting to read though. I love the "if you want your region lifted..." instructions followed by "if you do, prepare for it to be borked and we won't fix it for days" (paraphrased).

"Regions that are migrated to the cloud may experience degraded performance or behave incorrectly...Due to the rapid speed of our Uplift efforts, we are unable to guarantee that regions in the cloud that are behaving incorrectly will be moved immediately back to our existing hosts."

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Gatogateau said:

Not all that uplifting to read though. I love the "if you want your region lifted..." instructions followed by "if you do, prepare for it to be borked and we won't fix it for days" (paraphrased).

"Regions that are migrated to the cloud may experience degraded performance or behave incorrectly...Due to the rapid speed of our Uplift efforts, we are unable to guarantee that regions in the cloud that are behaving incorrectly will be moved immediately back to our existing hosts."

So is that a no for you?

• Haha 4

23 minutes ago, RowanMinx said:

So is that a no for you?

It would be if I had a region! I think I'd be the last one on that cloud, as the lights in the office were growing dim and various Lindens shouting to ffs migrate that damn region, we want dinner!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gatogateau said:

Regions that are migrated to the cloud may experience degraded performance or behave incorrectly.

This is just LL covering all bases, in case the regions UNEXPECTEDLY experience degraded performance, or show other issues which can not be traced back to other issues.

The word "may" is key here. The AWS server also may spontaneously combust because of the migration. The sun also may go supernova because of some previously unknown relation between the solar fusion mechanism and the status of one of the regions that will be uplifted. It may happen but if there was any reason to assume that it will happen the lab would have said something like "expect degraded performance or incorrect behavior" but they didn't, so let's not ASSUME that this will happen. There is a very large chance that you will not even notice a thing until you check Help => About...

In other words: DON'T PANIC!!!!

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Fritigern Gothly said:

This is just LL covering all bases, in case the regions UNEXPECTEDLY experience degraded performance, or show other issues which can not be traced back to other issues.

The word "may" is key here. The AWS server also may spontaneously combust because of the migration. The sun also may go supernova because of some previously unknown relation between the solar fusion mechanism and the status of one of the regions that will be uplifted. It may happen but if there was any reason to assume that it will happen the lab would have said something like "expect degraded performance or incorrect behavior" but they didn't, so let's not ASSUME that this will happen. There is a very large chance that you will not even notice a thing until you check Help => About...

Aw, come on.  Can't I please panic?  Just this once?  I'll never ask.again.

panic-button.png

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Fritigern Gothly said:

Don't Panic is a phrase on the cover of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.[4] The novel explains that this was partly because the device "looked insanely complicated" to operate, and partly to keep intergalactic travellers from panicking.[49] "It is said that despite its many glaring (and occasionally fatal) inaccuracies, the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy itself has outsold the Encyclopedia Galactica because it is slightly cheaper, and because it has the words 'DON'T PANIC' in large, friendly letters on the cover."[4]

:)

I'm not panicking. I don't have a pony in this race. But if I did...

tenor (1).gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Fritigern Gothly said:

Everyone should be taught Marketingspeak in school.  Without it you will be continually in a state of panic your entire life.  Almost everything a member of a misgovernment or corporate body writes, or speaks, is designed to do one of these things:  (1) Scare you into giving away your soul, (2) Convince you someone else is after your soul, (3) Protect the author's ass.  Very little of it is designed to impart information; that you have to deduce by logical reasoning.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Gatogateau said:

You say that as if regions on the Linden Lab server farm don't also experience degraded performance or behave incorrectly, and also may not be fixed for days.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

You say that as if regions on the Linden Lab server farm don't also experience degraded performance or behave incorrectly, and also may not be fixed for days.

LL's server farm is pretty top notch,  it's lately been their upstream provider that's kicked the cat a couple of times and the cat had enough of it and dropped big time connections across level3 and centurylink and mostly that's centurylinks fault,  they do not know how to leave production enviroments alone and have test labs it seems,  WE MUST TOUCH THIS!  while it's live... 

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

I know this is all for the "better" in the end supposedly and i appreciate they are trying to give us a better experience in the end but all i can think of is.... the timing is .. wow .. bad lol
it's a lot of stores and experiences /hunts/games/ busiest time of the year right now, halloween, black friday, christmas... why not do this when it's.... yanno, a little less busy

*facepalm

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Jaimy Hancroft said:

I know this is all for the "better" in the end supposedly and i appreciate they are trying to give us a better experience in the end but all i can think of is.... the timing is .. wow .. bad lol
it's a lot of stores and experiences /hunts/games/ busiest time of the year right now, halloween, black friday, christmas... why not do this when it's.... yanno, a little less busy

*facepalm

yes let's tell the lab and the people behind this move they have to wait to accommodate people, this has been in the works for ages, they will do their best ot not make big interruptions, but with like all service providers,  they have to do whats best for their business and this is it.

You want your region hosted where most of the services it uses are hosted, and if it has neighbors, where most of them are hosted. If I had a standalone island region (and wasn't using the KVP persistent store feature of Experiences, which hasn't moved yet), I'd want it moved to the cloud Real Soon Now; the last to leave will not have the least disruption through this transition.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, bigmoe Whitfield said:

LL's server farm is pretty top notch,  it's lately been their upstream provider that's kicked the cat a couple of times and the cat had enough of it and dropped big time connections across level3 and centurylink and mostly that's centurylinks fault,  they do not know how to leave production enviroments alone and have test labs it seems,  WE MUST TOUCH THIS!  while it's live... 

LL KICKS CATS????????

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1281 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.