How to export rigged clothing without Avastar?

Tagar1k

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 878 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So I've been working on this sweatshirt. It's pretty much done (rigging, weightpainting, textures, etc.)
unknown.png?width=1223&height=677

My question is, How can I export this cloth piece as .dae without the use of Avastar? I've been trying to export it with different methods (always as collada), but in the end I've been receiving an empty .dae file or, in SL, an error message "missing level of detail".

I just spent several minutes looking for something online that was brief, current, and not Avastar-related. And failed. Clearly I need to bookmark better.

Generally speaking, you want to:

1. select just the clothing
  2. go into File -> Export, choose Collada (.dae)
  3. choose the "SL + Open Sim (rigged)" settings preset (it's hidden under an options gear in the latest Blender) -- and double-check that "Selection Only" and "include Armatures" are on
  4. export

The uploading half of it is covered pretty well at

Oh, and you can't export clothes that work right with Fitted Mesh weighting unless you either use Avastar or you copy weights from a special base file (like the ones at http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Mesh/Rigging_Fitted_Mesh) and click on the extra "Keep Bind Info" option during export.

Edited by Quarrel Kukulcan
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Quarrel Kukulcan said:

I just spent several minutes looking for something online that was brief, current, and not Avastar-related. And failed. Clearly I need to bookmark better.

Generally speaking, you want to:

1. select just the clothing
  2. go into File -> Export, choose Collada (.dae)
  3. choose the "SL + Open Sim (rigged)" settings preset (it's hidden under an options gear in the latest Blender) -- and double-check that "Selection Only" and "include Armatures" are on
  4. export

The uploading half of it is covered pretty well at

Oh, and you can't export clothes that work right with Fitted Mesh weighting unless you either use Avastar or you copy weights from a special base file (like the ones at http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Mesh/Rigging_Fitted_Mesh) and click on the extra "Keep Bind Info" option during export.

Thanks, I got closer to the final goal, but now, I cannot include weights for the mesh (see pic)
unknown.png
Even though It's all properly rigged, weightpainted and exported, SL still doesn't let me to import it as intended.

10 hours ago, Tagar1k said:

Even though It's all properly rigged, weightpainted and exported, SL still doesn't let me to import it as intended.

There is probably something wrong with your armature.

I just did some test imports. I was still able to check "Include skin weights" even if my mesh contained a vertex with more than 4 weights, a vertex with 0 weights, or a vertex weighted to a nonexistant bone (although obviously the object was malformed in SL). If I misspelled a bone name in the armature, though, I lost that checkbox.

36 minutes ago, Quarrel Kukulcan said:

There is probably something wrong with your armature.

I just did some test imports. I was still able to check "Include skin weights" even if my mesh contained a vertex with more than 4 weights, a vertex with 0 weights, or a vertex weighted to a nonexistant bone (although obviously the object was malformed in SL). If I misspelled a bone name in the armature, though, I lost that checkbox.

I will try to repeat whole rigging process and check the results. Gonna answer tomorrow. 

7 hours ago, Tagar1k said:

Yeah, it is. Have a look at them if you want: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ahmx3aht5bxuavn/Avatar Core Nova Devkits.zip?dl=0 (I'm using male body as armature).

Well, I have to admit I don't know what's causing your problem. :( Those rigs worked for me. I made a simple shrink-wrapped cylinder around the chest, copied weights, and exported. SL let me include skin weights on import. (The final result was distorted because I don't have Avastar, but I didn't encounter your issue of SL not recognizing the object as a rigged mesh.)

11 hours ago, Ada Radius said:

Do you have more than 110 vertex groups? Even though there are 159 bones and volumes, the viewers will silently fail if you have more than 110. 

Oh wow it works now! I've decreased the vertex groups to only nessasary ones and now I can include weights.

• 1 year later...
On 10/22/2020 at 2:33 AM, Tagar1k said:

Oh wow it works now! I've decreased the vertex groups to only nessasary ones and now I can include weights.

how did you do this? or can you breifly tell me how you rigged this mesh to your body, Im using a legacy female body but im sure the instructions are the same

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 878 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.