Region-crossing worse this weekend?

arabellajones

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1283 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

It's sometimes hard to tell whether a problem is down to local-to-SL network problem or something on the wider internet. but crossing from one region to another is something that involve moving a lot of data from one sim server to another.

It has been bad this weekend.

Partly it's the higher concurrency at weekends. But what seemed new this weekend was repeated script errors where my avatar was suddenly not sitting on the vehicle. Which then triggered other oddities. The vehicle might stop completely, while the viewer thought I was still sitting on it. Sometimes everything would correct itself, and if I was lucky the road would be straight and the vehicle would still be on the road. Sometimes my camera view would jump to a sim corner and then back to the vehicle.

The vehicles I used were familiar to me. Something was setting this off, and having the scenery cached wasn't an obvious help.

The problem with submitting a JIRA is that if feels like a write-only medium. I do see signs of people reading Forum posts

I just drove around Bellisseria without problems - and was passenger in a fun Halloween car with the driver and his wife at The Halloween Haunted Neighborhood, where we passed region crossing flawless. Both vehicles heavy scripted ACS vehicles.

Amazing how big differences we can experience.

FYI:

Ping sim based in Europe: 178-184 ms

Firestorm 6.3.9 (58205) May 27 2020 01:20:51 (64bit) (Firestorm-Releasex64) with Havok support
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz (2808.01 MHz)
Memory: 16341 MB
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 64-bit (Build 19041.572)
Graphics Card Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
Graphics Card: GeForce GTX 1060/PCIe/SSE2

Edited by Rachel1206

This may be comparing red apples to golden apples, as far as regions and vehicle types go, but here are some crossing results (for sailing) I've come across   - 

I took wind surfer (TMS Sea Boss Rider) to Blake. Starting at Race Rock I was able to go across the main waters of Blake, running laps from east to west without so much as a blip or glitch, or even slow crossings. I took several crossings at top speed, and then moored along the side of Hollywood AP, just shy of Dutch Harbor, again with out so much as one single hiccup. I know the wind surfer is a light script "vehicle" however, when going out to Eden, after the second crossing I hit, my animations were frozen (which has been an issue for a good while now). I was still able to hit the crossings without issue, but my avi stood in a single position no matter what adjustments I made.

To add to the inconsistency, I returned a short time later in a Bandit 50/3 which is stout when it comes to scripts. Sailed around Eden into the North Sea and back, without issue. No animation hang up, so slow crossings, smooth as silk. I shouldn't say "no" issues, as when I was about to head home, I went to delete the boat and wasn't able too due to the inventory fault issue, that a few others had been seeing as well, and has since cleared up (I think).

The only driving I've done this weekend, technically was on Thursday. I started at Route 6 and was able to make my way to Route 5 (in a moderately scripted car) without any major hang ups, or anything that hasn't already been seen out on the routes (ie slow crossings, odd random lag due to a low script sections of a sim etc). It was far from perfect, and prior to Thursday I saw similar issues,  mentioned in the first post, more often than one would like to see. But since the RC restart and then RC re-restart, it has seemed to improve. 

One note to make, for some reason this time of the year my ISP decides it's "fun" to throttle us, so my net speed has been half of what it should be. On the rougher (slower) days, I do tend to see more oddities on crossings both on water and land. The only remedies I've found were to cut back my draw distance, move at a reduced pace at times, make sure my avi is low on script counts..... and hold my breath with hitting a crossing! 

Edited by Vicious Hollow

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1283 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.