Taking a break from the SL Forums

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1282 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Today, I logged on the forums during my tea break at work to see if there was any posts worth reading.

I scanned the forums, and I realised my ignore list is 7 pages long.

TC guys'n'gals but since I'm reading 97% post of "you have chosen to ignore posts by so and so", I think I'll take a break from the SL forums.  Peace Out.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 4

31 minutes ago, Adamburp Adamczyk said:

Today, I logged on the forums during my tea break at work to see if there was any posts worth reading.

TC guys'n'gals but since I'm reading 97% post of "you have chosen to ignore posts by so and so", I think I'll take a break from the SL forums.  Peace Out.

Whoa, 7-pages long? I bow to you! (Assuming you see it... :)  )

I feel overly snippy then at saying when my list hits 12 people — not pages — that I'm taking a break of undetermined length.

Totally understand your needing space. Depending on the sale of SL goes, this place should (maybe) still be here when you get back. Meanwhile, enjoy the holiday, the peace, the quiet, the lack of wtf-isms. But darn it, "leaving the forums" can't prompt me, or anyone, to ask for your stuff. :(

Edited by Gatogateau
  • Like 1

Is this forum really so awful? I'm not denying anyone's feelings or experience, it's just striking to me that some people find it so unpleasant because it seems pretty tame and sanitised to me. 

Of course, if I'm on your ignore list then I'm making a right prat of myself. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

54 minutes ago, Adamburp Adamczyk said:

What is the point of a post like this? When I need to stop reading the forums I just stop reading them, no announcement needed. 👀

• Like 14

Just now, Gage Wirefly said:

What is the point of a post like this? When I need to stop reading the forums I just stop reading them, no announcement needed. 👀

I don't know Adam's reasons, but I'll answer. Just leaving is one way of doing it. But if you've been around for a while and people are used to seeing you post regularly, and then you just stop, some people will worry. In this day of plague that is more true. I mean, for some of us, if we leave there might be one or two who would worry and about a dozen who would cheer. :)  Adam didn't do a 50 page screed on how everything and everyone here sucks. A couple of sentences is about right if one is going to let people know.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Amina Sopwith said:

Is this forum really so awful? I'm not denying anyone's feelings or experience, it's just striking to me that some people find it so unpleasant because it seems pretty tame and sanitised to me. 

Compared to other places on the Internet, yeah, this place is very tame.  However, it also does have its moments, and trends, and sometimes a handful of people who make every thread just annoying as hell, etc. Since COVID this place has gotten a meaner edge.

Well, this is how I'd answer your comment if you weren't on my block list. :p :)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Adamburp Adamczyk said:

I have suddenly realised I don't have an ignore list, now I feel deprived.

Seriously, though, just empty the ignore list. There's no person so bad that you'd never ever want to read what they posted ever again, surely?

Oh wait, Trump. Yes, sorry, forget I spoke.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Gatogateau said:

I don't know Adam's reasons, but I'll answer. Just leaving is one way of doing it. But if you've been around for a while and people are used to seeing you post regularly, and then you just stop, some people will worry. In this day of plague that is more true. I mean, for some of us, if we leave there might be one or two who would worry and about a dozen who would cheer. :)  Adam didn't do a 50 page screed on how everything and everyone here sucks. A couple of sentences is about right if one is going to let people know.

Makes sense I guess. I am not that invested and I don't mean that in a snarky way. If people suddenly don't post I don't really notice and I don't care if I'm not noticed either, as I don't post much to begin with .

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Profaitchikenz Haiku said:

I have suddenly realised I don't have an ignore list, now I feel deprived.

Seriously, though, just empty the ignore list. There's no person so bad that you'd never ever want to read what they posted ever again, surely?

If you've posted for a while, and regularly, trust me on this one: There are people to mute.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Profaitchikenz Haiku said:

I mean, there are the people who keep bringing up politics .. I'm no fan of the orange man, but constant Trump-bashing and whinging certainly is something that may get someone on my ignore list; it's just not what I'm in SL for.

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, Orwar said:

I mean, there are the people who keep bringing up politics

Fair comment, but I faced a dilemma, I couldn't really use a name of somebody who posts  (used to post) on these forums, it might start all kinds of trouble.

I quite understand if I've just made my way onto your ignore list :)

• Haha 1

I've never put anyone on my ignore list and even had to just check how one would do that. Closest I have come was not because I had a problem with some stupidity posted but because of my own sometimes obsessive need to point that out. So I came close to putting a person on ignore but then realized it would take too much of the entertainment value out of the forums so i have selfishly left them off the ignore list.9_9

• Like 1

If I took the trouble to make an ignore list
I'd probably just ignore it anyway. (yes I do know how they work 😛).
As we are cartoons - this is simply text.
If you seek to be offended? then surely you will be.

It's not that important.
Made a piccy ten minutes after posting.

Screenshot 2020-10-18 090022.jpg

Edited by Maryanne Solo
  • Like 1

On any forum there are those who like the sound of their own voices. Or really,  filling a box with opinionated text which is very often TL:DR. (I learned about that here).

After a while it gets wearing and some people have the need to eradicate the white noise, or to walk away, or both.

Right now there's a lot of that going on.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

I have no ignore list. I know I am on several peoples lists here and that is completely fine with me. I am not here to be liked by everyone or friends with everyone. Thats not my reason for being here. So for anyone that ever ignores me... more power to them for using the tools to make the forums what they want. I know I am objectional and controversial and brash at times and im not changing either. Those that don't like it.. ignore me. It doesn't hurt my feelings, I am old enough not to care about the childish popularity contest that some get so infatuated here with. with being with the in crowd, the cartel, the liked crowd. I am just here to share my views and opinions and thoughts and that is it. If people dont like them or how I say them, that is their problem not mine.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Adamburp Adamczyk said:

Gosh. 7 pages seems a tad . . . long. How many people are on each page?

I'm sure that many of the names must be one-time spammers and trolls, or in some case people who are no longer here, but I'd have thought that coming to socialize and communicate with others at a place where so many are on ignore is a bit like going to a party where you like 2 people, and despise the other 18. In such a case, surely it makes more sense -- as Adam may be doing -- to simply avoid the party, and arrange a nice lunch out with those you do like instead?

In that spirit, and confident as I am that I couldn't possibly be on Adam's ignore list, I'd like to extend to him an invitation to IM me in-world so we can indeed have lunch and catch up.

Just let me know when you're available, Adam!

Adam?

Hello?

/me taps her mic

Is this thing on? Testing 1, 2, 3 . . . . Hello?

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Amina Sopwith said:

It's not the forum, just a couple of people. Add to that Covid-19 and the political junk and it gets tedious quickly. Especially when at least one seems to turn every single thread they post in into a political debate. And it just gets worse and worse.

Adam and I have butted heads a couple of times but I don't think it was anything bad enough for him to ignore me. At least, I hope it wasn't. So we can be a couple of prats. 🥂

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Gage Wirefly said:

Makes sense I guess. I am not that invested and I don't mean that in a snarky way. If people suddenly don't post I don't really notice and I don't care if I'm not noticed either, as I don't post much to begin with .

I don't think anyone has noticed.

Yet.

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I'm sure that many of the names must be one-time spammers and trolls, or in some case people who are no longer here,

I'm thinking this is how you can easily get to seven pages. Like the troll a few months ago who just spammed the whole forum, using a different name each time? That would fill up a page. Or two? Then the one offs. I have a couple on my list, or Seicher does. Interestingly (?) GiGi's and Seicher's lists are not identical! :) We annoy different people at different times. It is a gift. Then yes, there are people who no longer post.

Since I've drawn my line in the sand with "12" names, I'm a little surprised a few haven't made it their jobs to increase my list to that point. I'm not kidding (much).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Profaitchikenz Haiku said:

Over 40 posters, actually. No spam bots.

I'm planning to rush to safety when that election crap will take over. That surely can't get any better than the pretty common "I'm hijacking threads for my political and social justice propaganda" posts.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1282 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.