Jump to content

Maximum posts per day - again ?


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Horus Salubrius said:

So I am getting this again now & cannot find any information about it.  I thought I had "passed the test" as it were.  Is this some kind of stepped process or what ?    

fa0220f55b162038813702c1199229f2.png
https://gyazo.com/fa0220f55b162038813702c1199229f2

I was looking on the Invision website and couldn't find exactly where LL can edit that post count.  Maybe @Kirsten Linden could pop in and give some info?

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Horus Salubrius said:

So I am getting this again now & cannot find any information about it.  I thought I had "passed the test" as it were.  Is this some kind of stepped process or what ?    

fa0220f55b162038813702c1199229f2.png
https://gyazo.com/fa0220f55b162038813702c1199229f2

Odd.  Your post count is high enough that I wouldn't think any limits would apply anymore - other than the 1 post per minute rule that nobody gets around.   IMO, anyway.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Odd.  Your post count is high enough that I wouldn't think any limits would apply anymore - other than the 1 post per minute rule that nobody gets around.   IMO, anyway.

It maybe has something to do with days active?  That's my only guess.

Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, RowanMinx said:

It maybe has something to do with days active?  That's my only guess.

Oh, I forgot that that was actually our final assumption the last time we talked about that message -- that it was related to forum account age rather than number of total posts.

Horus' forum account is still under a month old.  Likely the new rules have a limit for the first week or so and the limits grow over time, but are still a bit low if the account is less than a month old.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I appreciate that it's useful to stop spammers but it does also seem counter-productive - after all it's new signups who really NEED to be able to get help and a limit of 6 posts per day isn't going to be enough for them to deal with a complex question.

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Maitimo said:

I appreciate that it's useful to stop spammers but it does also seem counter-productive - after all it's new signups who really NEED to be able to get help and a limit of 6 posts per day isn't going to be enough for them to deal with a complex question.

once a site gets to big, you get xruner bots and drive by spammers and then we've had issues here with certain people thinking they can come in and post all the personal information on certain people massively.  so it had to come to a stop and LL has basically made it stop.   it has to stay this way or there's zero reason to use the forums.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, bigmoe Whitfield said:

once a site gets to big, you get xruner bots and drive by spammers and then we've had issues here with certain people thinking they can come in and post all the personal information on certain people massively.  so it had to come to a stop and LL has basically made it stop.   it has to stay this way or there's zero reason to use the forums.

There are better ways to prevent bots and spammers than penalizing new posters and I don't know of any forum software that doesn't have those features these days. Even the free ones have those as basic features. There really is no need whatsoever to restrict the number of daily posts for a new poster to prevent spamming and bots. I've had a forum or several over the years and I've never had to limit posts due to spammers or bots thanks to the features included in the software.

 

Someone at @Linden Labreally does need to look into this and at least raise the limit a bit. They do have access to make the adjustments or even turn the feature off. They just need to find it and do it.

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

There are better ways to prevent bots and spammers than penalizing new posters and I don't know of any forum software that doesn't have those features these days. Even the free ones have those as basic features. There really is no need whatsoever to restrict the number of daily posts for a new poster to prevent spamming and bots. I've had a forum or several over the years and I've never had to limit posts due to spammers or bots thanks to the features included in the software.

 

Someone at @Linden Labreally does need to look into this and at least raise the limit a bit. They do have access to make the adjustments or even turn the feature off. They just need to find it and do it.

I think it needs to honestly be left alone,  I've had my own form since 2002,  it's still running,  LL has done what I did,  it's cut out the bs,  one person ruined it for all basically.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/17/2020 at 4:29 PM, bigmoe Whitfield said:

I think it needs to honestly be left alone,  I've had my own form since 2002,  it's still running,  LL has done what I did,  it's cut out the bs,  one person ruined it for all basically.  

I'm sorry. I have never believed in making everyone suffer to punish the one or the few. Two wrongs don't make a right and all that.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The methods used to try and stop the problem makers only work on those that are easily deterred. a true troll or spammer wont care about such limits and will wait their time until they are past the date required then start to do what they want.

its called create multiple accounts with multiple emails and using proxies so different ip addresses then let them age and only make a post now and then to keep them looking active, then once past the due date.. let it rip.. seen it done on several places before. There is no real effective way to stop a true troll or spammer.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Drakonadrgora Darkfold said:

The methods used to try and stop the problem makers only work on those that are easily deterred. a true troll or spammer wont care about such limits and will wait their time until they are past the date required then start to do what they want.

its called create multiple accounts with multiple emails and using proxies so different ip addresses then let them age and only make a post now and then to keep them looking active, then once past the due date.. let it rip.. seen it done on several places before. There is no real effective way to stop a true troll or spammer.

there is one effective way. only allow select people to post,  we did it for a while when we got crazy busy on the old phpnuke forums,  I know people are going "shut up moe, your not helping" but long as I've been administrating forums, I'm a bit jaded, certain types of users are typically gotten rid of on their first post by the spam filters.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, bigmoe Whitfield said:

there is one effective way. only allow select people to post,  we did it for a while when we got crazy busy on the old phpnuke forums,  I know people are going "shut up moe, your not helping" but long as I've been administrating forums, I'm a bit jaded, certain types of users are typically gotten rid of on their first post by the spam filters.

Even that is not one hundred percent effective. There are some people that even using moderated posts would not stop them. I had my own forums once before too. I let it die after all the headaches of trying to keep spammers and bots out of it.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Drakonadrgora Darkfold said:

Even that is not one hundred percent effective. There are some people that even using moderated posts would not stop them. I had my own forums once before too. I let it die after all the headaches of trying to keep spammers and bots out of it.

the one I've run is almost 20 years old.  we are approved members now only,  it's been a pain,  our forum has basically just been 15 of us for the last few years,  nobody serious wants to join,  just come and try to flip a car or 2 or other related items,  drive by salers are not what we want either.    but yeah, I hate having to have it that way, but new people do not know how to use forums today,  spamming and causing issues are other related issues, which I blame facebook for, people come to forums thinking they can do the same exact crap without repercautions ,  which never is going to work out,  the hammer comes down quick on them and then we get messages "WHY" because we are not facebook and have existed longer than you've been alive and we are not changing our ways or being politically correct to suit anyone.  lol

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...