Texturing Denim

bvlly

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1285 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi. I am legitimately having the hardest time texturing denim. I just want to know if there's anyone that can teach me how to texture denim. Whether it be jeans, denim jackets, etc. Denim is the only texture I cannot do. Thank you in advance.

You need to  make a base colour, then add in texturing lines with your Photoshop program or overlay texturing maps. the best way to learn that is is too look up texturing tutorials off Youtube. You can also find tutorials in the programs website directly from program customers.

Some ppl use Substance but in my opinion, it shows and does not look like proper denim garment  (substance can be useful for stitching, dirt and damage, but not the whole thing, not in this instance)...The best way to do (well ok my way lol) it is to combine some base denim texture with photo texture pieces for details (pockets, seams, zipper etc all cut from a decent jeans or jean jacket pic, add some feathering/blur to selection when cutting to make blending easier), adjust colors, add some overlay (i.e. seamless denim fabric, go with grayscale for this) to unify everything. Worn out seams can be additionally edited by drawing simple mini folds (black-white color only, use overlay, soft light and sometimes even multiply mode for folds) and contrasting shadow but don`t overdo it (this also depends on how detailed your mesh is, are folds modeled or you`re supposed to fake it)....I also add my own stitching (so it can easily be tinted to any color) using lines/curves and dynamic brush..Oh and if you need cuts, rips, I would also suggest using bits and pieces from a photo texture opposed to using brushes, brushes always look fake..This will be time consuming at first, but over time you will form a decent library of pre-cut pieces, favorite textures, photos etc to speed up your workflow...also, practice makes perfect! Oh and one more thing, when using photo texture, avoid using warp tool and remove/hide any rl brand logo...

Here is an example , example2 , both made using this method (these are texture sets/merchant resources so meshes aren`t mine and are extremely basic)

Hope I managed to make sense lol and hope it helps!

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1285 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.