Listing removed by LL

DavidThomas Scorbal

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3201 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I've had a listing removed by LL. It's a product that I can no longer sell directly on MP because it requires nested folders to be properly organized, which precludes selling it packaged in a prim.

So, I replaced the normal listing with a L$1 item that a customer can purchase, rez, and click, and it sends me a message as an notification of their interest in the product. At L$6499, it's not an impulse buy, and customers are best served by a little consultation ahead of time, to make sure that the system is right for their business - especially since the product is no transfer, and non-refundable.

The listing was removed as something like non-product advertisment, or somesuch, which it's not.

Is there any hope of keeping this item listed?

• Moderators

Greetings!

Please take the opportunity to read through the Marketplace Listing Guidelines, located here:

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/listing_guidelines

"Disallowed Actions

The following actions are disallowed. Note that these actions are disallowed by the Second Life Terms of Service, and are restated here for clarification."

"Non-Item Listings. The SL Marketplace is also not to be used for:

Advertising events or places,
    Advertising land sales/rentals except as listed for free in the Marketplace Land Categories,
    Dispensing catalogs or information regarding an item without actually delivering that item, or
    Dispensing catalogs or information regarding a service without actually charging at least 50% of the value of that service."

Your product listing is selling a notecard within information regarding how to buy the item in world.

This is a direct violation of the Marketplace Listing Guidelines and is not permitted.

Regards,

Dakota Linden
--
Linden Lab
SL Marketplace Customer Support
https://marketplace.secondlife.com/
http://www.secondlife.com

My Manitee Land Office display is not an impulse item, either.  But I worked it and worked it until it was simple enough and versatile enough that it could be sold without much support needed.  And in the 1.5 years I've sold them, not one person couldn't buy it, follow the notecard and be up and running in under 10 minutes.  I don't know the particulars of your product, but as a fellow builder let me say that making gear that the user never has to ask a question about is worth the effort for your time and your customer's satisfaction. 

Since the new Direct Delivery will send purchases straight to your inventory in a folder, you maybe happier selling it that way once it's live. http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/SL_Marketplace:Direct_Delivery_FAQ

But until then, why not put it up for sale normally, encouraging people to contact you with any questions beforehand, link to a webpage/pdf, etc. In the higher price range your buyers take a bit more care with their toys, and a degree of presale consultation is pretty normal, especially if they're merchants themselves. And the price itself is sufficient motivation to learn how to set it up properly.

What confused me is why you just can't have the contents from each folder inside a prim and all of the prims inside the primary vendor object. As each object is rezzed and unpacked, it will create a folder for each.

Looks more like you need to go back and refine your product. You have two strikes against you from what you saying...a high price point from an overly complex product. You can also design it to load the objects from a server at the time they first click the object however, since you give no indication as to what you have created, I don't see where this forum can help you with much detail.

I have been doing this long enough to know, simple sells. I have built a number of very successful businesses on this premise. Products that are designed to "simplify" life, not the other way around will win every time.

The product isn't "overly complex" - if it were, I wouldn't have some of the very high profile SL customers I have. Have you ever adopted/set up a complete vendor system for a high-traffic store? It's an involved process, which consists of multiple steps. There's the inventory server (which comes both as a pre-configured object, as well as scripts-only for upgrading customers), then there are the various vendor types (normal, special event, etc), then there are the various customer-related tools such as redelivery terminals, then automated utilities for checking your store's configuration, and the list goes on. The problem with selling this item in a single prim (or even nested prims) is that they create a flat list of items with zero organization. Even nested prims yields you multiple (top-level) folders, which again, I find sub-optimal, and not acceptable for the level of service I choose to provide. When a customer drops a system they've used for years and adopts mine, when they depend on it for RL income, it's *not* a hands-off process, and I'm there to provide personal assistance, not a good luck wish.

What can I tell you? Plenty of people who run high-traffic stores and who have investigated the depth of features I offer have bought the product, so I'm happy with the course I'm on. My hope was that LL would see past the letter of their law and see that purchasing my interest notifier is simply the first step in a complete purchase, not an advertisement. But then again, they don't make any money off a L$1 listing, so it doesn't surprise me that it got removed, despite the fact it's obviously not just an ad.

• 2 years later...

Aloha Dakota,

If I offer a service, i need to charge possible customers at leats the 50% of it in advance? But what if they just want some information? I don't think is fare for customers. Is there a better way to deliver them the information regarding a service using the marketplace without forcing them to pay in blind and in advance? 

Thanks

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3201 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.