A question about RP...

SatanTM

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 288 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So me and my wife are opening a neighborhood sim soon. (Yes we have worked out all the logistics, it's mainly to have a fun place to have families here and make good friends, not for money making.)

We were thinking of hiring people for certain things. We have a daycare on land, a donut shop, a theatre, taco shop, post office, grocery store, and mini shops. What would be a good rate if we chose to offer people l's, small amounts of course, just for the fun of it all, (or larger amounts depending on the popularity). Obviously we would give out schedules, but it would be nice to add realism to our neighborhood. Again it's just an idea, so I'm just shooting for some opinions.

Community RP regions are hard. Most fail rather quickly, leaving frustration in their wake. Community regions are not and should not be built on the idea of making a profit, as you will not. One region likely will not suffice for all that you have planned, unless you intend for folks to live in tiny homes with limited Li allowance. 

Typically, RP jobs within communities are volunteer-based, or workers are given some amount of fake scripted money that can be use elsewhere in the community, primarily because communities are terribly expensive to run. Even in the positions I worked in, my “payment” was a discount in my rental fees. 

I would focus on the plan first! How many houses will you have? How much L per prim will you charge? How much room will that leave you to build RP buildings on the region and not have to choke down a vast majority of your land tier? This isn’t to assume that you haven’t done so (as I know you said “the logistics”) but I cannot stress the importance of planning and budgeting. 

If you’d like, I’ll happily sit down with you  sometime in-world and discuss my experiences and suggestions. I adored working in the environment, and the easier I can make it for somebody else, the more pleased I’ll be. I have been a GM at 3 different communities, with them until their end, the largest branching 32 regions. 

Edited by norajulian
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, norajulian said:

Community RP regions are hard. Most fail rather quickly, leaving frustration in their wake. Community regions are not and should not be built on the idea of making a profit, as you will not. One region likely will not suffice for all that you have planned, unless you intend for folks to live in tiny homes with limited Li allowance. 

Typically, RP jobs within communities are volunteer-based, or workers are given some amount of fake scripted money that can be use elsewhere in the community, primarily because communities are terribly expensive to run. Even in the positions I worked in, my “payment” was a discount in my rental fees. 

I would focus on the plan first! How many houses will you have? How much L per prim will you charge? How much room will that leave you to build RP buildings on the region and not have to choke down a vast majority of your land tier? This isn’t to assume that you haven’t done so (as I know you said “the logistics”) but I cannot stress the importance of planning and budgeting. 

If you’d like, I’ll happily sit down with you  sometime in-world and discuss my experiences and suggestions. I adored working in the environment, and the easier I can make it for somebody else, the more pleased I’ll be. I have been a GM at 3 different communities, with them until their end, the largest branching 32 regions. 

Thank you. 
I have no intention of making a profit. It's purely to have a family environment and make new friends in a beautiful neighborhod we've created.

So far we have 10 homes on the land, 2 are taken by us of course.

Besides that we were decorating each home, lightly, not fully. Then leaving them around 500-600 prims.

We do have a 30k region right now.

I would love to have a discussion!

3 hours ago, SatanTM said:

So me and my wife are opening a neighborhood sim soon. (Yes we have worked out all the logistics, it's mainly to have a fun place to have families here and make good friends, not for money making.)

We were thinking of hiring people for certain things. We have a daycare on land, a donut shop, a theatre, taco shop, post office, grocery store, and mini shops. What would be a good rate if we chose to offer people l's, small amounts of course, just for the fun of it all, (or larger amounts depending on the popularity). Obviously we would give out schedules, but it would be nice to add realism to our neighborhood. Again it's just an idea, so I'm just shooting for some opinions.

Even tiny amounts will add up to more than you can afford. As soon as the bots and freeloaders find out, you'll be inundated with them. 

Why not introduce a currency of your own, though? You could script a hud for it, and the money earned can be exchanged for goods and services within your community.

• Like 1

I have to agree with maitimo on this, use a system developed for you or one you create on your own. don't use actual lindens. this will keep away those who will just log in and stand around waiting for their pay. there are some rp/battle systems that implement things like this, but they would not be really suitable for family rp sims.

If you can attract people to live in your community that want to actually be a part of the community itself, rather than just wanting to stay on their parcel in a pretty neighbourhood, I think you’ll find that they will be happy to take on a job just for the joy of doing so.

14 hours ago, Maitimo said:

Even tiny amounts will add up to more than you can afford. As soon as the bots and freeloaders find out, you'll be inundated with them. 

Why not introduce a currency of your own, though? You could script a hud for it, and the money earned can be exchanged for goods and services within your community.

That's actually a really good idea as well, I will discuss that with my wife. Thank you so much for the advice.

7 hours ago, Sister Nova said:

If you can attract people to live in your community that want to actually be a part of the community itself, rather than just wanting to stay on their parcel in a pretty neighbourhood, I think you’ll find that they will be happy to take on a job just for the joy of doing so.

Correct, I'm hoping as this is the plan, people who want to interact within a community.

I have said this before and I will say it  as many times as needed. While it is kool and fun to start your own place, be prepared to not have the crowds flock to your sim.. Prepare to hold you own for a minimum of 3 to 4 months and slowly get people in. RP sims are pretty much a dime a dozen since everyone else has the same inspiring idea as you, the theme is common. You HAVE to have something everyone hasn't in order to attract and hold interest. You will have to log in everyday to market your place, you will have to pay for adverting with out spamming other groups or sims. Most good prime ad-boards in high traffic areas will cost you about 500 to 1000L a week, a rule of thumb about that is if you get 0 ad-board hits to no less than5 to 6 hits a week per board,the sim your paying is not getting the traffic you need to make it worth the money paid if your paying less than 500 week for adboards, they don't get the traffic to drive people to your sim.. Plus LL charges you 30L a week in addition to your rent to keep your sim in SL search. Upload costs to make signs, posters, putting together rules and sim guidelines cost too, trust me, 10Ls add up and you would not believe just how many dang posters and signs just one rp sim needs.. it's the lil costs over time that will thin your wallet quickly. Why do you think rp sims end up allowing lil shops, venders, adboards in a landing point, why do you think rp sims end up and mini shopping malls? Why do you think rp sims end up failing?

The sims like yours that have been here for yrs, go visit, look at what they do to keep people, some have been here long enough back when the land tiers were affordable for the time and got grandfathered in. the sims that have been here a long time are the ones  have been here back when rping was the thing, rping sims struggle  to find a medium that people are interested in. do  some homework, look and see just how many rp sims just like what you want are there in sl search, use common key words in SL place search.

Honestly, while it is fun to build, exciting to do a sim in hope the  crowds will come and you can have fun but the odds are against you, they are stacked higher than most people want to climb because a rp sim or any public sim is EXACTLY like  the work you must do and the money you MUST pay out to opening up a rl business. Yes I am discouraging you because rp sims like that are a dime a dozen each the same theme and I do mean exactly the same theme and have zero people in playing.Giving out schedules won't work either, look how many time zones their is..

You will need to dedicate a minimum of  several hours of active engaging others to keep your peeps there, this includes anyone who is a regular, they have to IM visitors and engage them either as visitors or rpers. if you have  visitors land there and they see 0 or one to two, three, four people off standing in a building doing nothing they will leave.  the one thing that chases people away faster then fire is those sim owners who toss in bots to drive traffic, I don't know about you, I put these sims on a do not fly list. Go to any given rp sim, look on your mini map, look to see who is just standing there, IM them ask if they are in a active rp..

My advice is don't put your money  or time in a NEW sim, go out and look for one you like that is already established and put your rp there, help someone else that is struggling.Gain a reputation of a rper in the rp community that already exists. If you say" Oh it's just for the fun of it", you're going to find out just how much work you FUN is going to be, your going to find out just how SL dedicated you are. Just ask Nora over there, I am sure she knows..

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 288 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.